Novice needs help pairing new AVR with speakers. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-21-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I posted over in the speaker forum with not a whole lot of help with the pairing. Right now I'm leaning towards the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 L/R speakers ( 6 ohms / 86dB ). I have read, somewhere in here, that Wharfedale speakers need more power. I have no Idea how much, especially if I add a center and sub later on.
I'm considering the Denon 1713 or 2113ci receiver. All I'll ever want in my entertainment room is 5:1. However, outside in a large patio I would like a second zone. I'm assuming, from how I understood it, the 1713 gives me the zone 2 but would need another amp and volume controller? And with the 2113ci I could power and control the volume to the same zone 2 from the same receiver? Is this correct? About $200 difference, but I thought the extra amp and controller would probably cost at least that much, correct?
Being a total novice, I'm not set on any particular brand, but from what I've read, it seems Audyssey would be a great help, to me, setting up the speakers. Also, would like to control the system with an ipad. So, would either of those receivers power the wharfedales 10.2, a center, and a sub ( added later on )?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-21-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 290
The Denon receivers are designed to power 6-16 ohm speakers. The Wharfdales are moderately efficient. The most cost-effective solution would be to get the 2113 or similar receiver. I think the 2113 would be a good purchase as you will get the 2 powered zones, networking and most importantly Audyssey MultEQ XT.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 3 Old 01-21-2013, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

The Denon receivers are designed to power 6-16 ohm speakers. The Wharfdales are moderately efficient. The most cost-effective solution would be to get the 2113 or similar receiver. I think the 2113 would be a good purchase as you will get the 2 powered zones, networking and most importantly Audyssey MultEQ XT.

Thanks for the reply. Does the 'moderately efficient' description of the Wharfedales mean should should be paired with a much more powerful receiver. I would think that moderately priced bookshelf speakers ($350/pr) shouldn't need a very costly (very powerful) receiver. I'm just trying to understand all of this. I don't want to get them if I will be under powering them or not being able to get the full potential out of them. Thanks again.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page