Separates vs Receiver (Beating a dead horse) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm very interested in the Outlaw 975/7075 pre/amp combo but it's $1100.

How would this stack up to say a Onkyo 818? Probably not a fair comparison, but those are the two that really catch my eye..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Somewhat depends on the speakers you'll use. The Onkyo has some more bells and whistles, particularly onboard digital crossover, Audyssey XT32 room correction software and 9ch processing with an outboard 2ch amp plus a bit more amp power. Also the Onkyo can be had for significantly less than 1100, which is only its msrp.

post #3 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Somewhat depends on the speakers you'll use. The Onkyo has some more bells and whistles, particularly onboard digital crossover, Audyssey XT32 room correction software and 9ch processing with an outboard 2ch amp plus a bit more amp power. Also the Onkyo can be had for significantly less than 1100, which is only its msrp.

I have Polk Monitor 75T's in the front, Monitor 25C in the center, DCM TF-400's as side, and a single Infinity Primus 163 in the back.

I set it up today with my Pioneer 1021 and wasn't impressed at all. :\
post #4 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

What were you expecting to be impressed by? You think some different or more wpc will change the speakers? Where's the sub? Those speakers don't dig low enough to do without IMHO. Might be part of the problem.

post #5 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Sub is a Klipsch RW-12d that is in the mail.

I'm not sure how it's supposed to sound, but when I turned it up, it started distorting and the receiver got pretty warm. Not sure if it's the speakers, receiver or both. This is my first upgrade since my first system which consisted of handmedown mismatched speakers..

Don't hurt me for my noobness please.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 294
I imagine they're not that bad with a low end of 40 Hz but a subwoofer should definitely improve the sound quality.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #7 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post

Sub is a Klipsch RW-12d that is in the mail.

I'm not sure how it's supposed to sound, but when I turned it up, it started distorting and the receiver got pretty warm. Not sure if it's the speakers, receiver or both. This is my first upgrade since my first system which consisted of handmedown mismatched speakers..

Don't hurt me for my noobness please.

No worries about the noobishness (is that a word?) but your expectations could be the issue....could be the setup you did with the avr and speakers; did you do the full MCACC setup routine? What were the settings afterwards? How loud are you expecting without distortion?

That sub should help in any case (at least to take some of the load off the avr's amp).

post #8 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

I'll definitely install the sub and then see how it sounds.

For settings, I couldn't find the MCACC mic (findable, didn't look very hard), but I set everything to small and X-over @ 80hz, I knew the low end was going to be small, but it just seemed the mids and highs were lacking somewhat. Maybe it's because my cousin has a B&W + Onkyo setup that sounds pretty amazing..

I just think the aesthetics of the Outlaw are incredible.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll definitely install the sub and then see how it sounds.

For settings, I couldn't find the MCACC mic (findable, didn't look very hard), but I set everything to small and X-over @ 80hz, I knew the low end was going to be small, but it just seemed the mids and highs were lacking somewhat. Maybe it's because my cousin has a B&W + Onkyo setup that sounds pretty amazing..

I just think the aesthetics of the Outlaw are incredible.

I think Outlaw stuff is just fine (I'd like one of their power amps, like 300wpc), but for the money I think you'd be better off getting better speakers than looking at different avrs or preamp/amps. Your Pioneer is sufficient except for very high spls, which may be what you want, I don't know. It isn't just about setting the speakers to small with a xover at 80hz, there's also distance and level involved. Do the correct setup.

Brand names like Onkyo and B&W (I have an Onkyo avr, didn't like B&W speakers I listened to) are easily thrown around but are relatively meaningless on their own.

post #10 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I think Outlaw stuff is just fine (I'd like one of their power amps, like 300wpc), but for the money I think you'd be better off getting better speakers than looking at different avrs or preamp/amps. Your Pioneer is sufficient except for very high spls, which may be what you want, I don't know. It isn't just about setting the speakers to small with a xover at 80hz, there's also distance and level involved. Do the correct setup.

Brand names like Onkyo and B&W (I have an Onkyo avr, didn't like B&W speakers I listened to) are easily thrown around but are relatively meaningless on their own.

Yeah I'll do the setup, but it was already calibrated before, and speaker position didn't change much, so I just left it for now.

I just bought my Monitor's 3 days ago, so I don't think I'm going to upgrade anytime soon. biggrin.gif Thanks for your help.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-22-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Presumably along with the 80Hz crossover for the surround (and center?) speakers, your fronts are set as "large" (full range). When you install the subwoofer, they all should be set to be small.

The quality of the speakers and the room's acoustics have the most effect on the quality of the sound you hear. Room EQ software (like MCACC) can help, but it's not a panacea (not to be confused with placebo wink.gif ). The traditional rule of thumb is to spend twice as much on speakers as you spend on audio equipment. That really hasn't changed in many years, despite the temptations to ignore it when more sophisticated electronics becomes affordable to you.

Also, bear in mind that the manufacturer's speaker ratings are measured in an anechoic chamber. Their response in a real room is quite different, which is why running the EQ calibration is so important. Any changes in speakers or room layout require a recalibration, too.

Selden
post #12 of 12 Old 01-22-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah I'll do the setup, but it was already calibrated before, and speaker position didn't change much, so I just left it for now.

I just bought my Monitor's 3 days ago, so I don't think I'm going to upgrade anytime soon. biggrin.gif Thanks for your help.

You changed the speakers, right? So you need to update the calibration....distance is only part of it.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page