Do you get better sound by connecting all inputs through the receiver or tv and than to receiver ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 01-23-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would you get better sound by using hdmi or optical cable's? , and would it be better to route everything through the receiver and one cable going to the tv or keep everything connected via hdmi to the tv and just use one cable going to the receiver for sound ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

anybody ?
post #3 of 23 Old 01-23-2013, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Optical cables cannot carry HD audio, but for standard audio codecs you won't hear a difference between the two.

Typically you would run everything through the receiver with 1 video out / hdmi to your tv.

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
post #4 of 23 Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thankyou , i think i will just use hdmi than with my new receiver . I was not sure as to go with everything connected through my receiver or to go with it through the tv. I dont want the video processing the receiver has getting in my way or trying to convert. Is there a way to turn processing off with a receiver and just have the tv output like it normally does bc i have read some stories about how bad image could be when the receiver does it for you. I am new to this , just bought a onkyo tx-nr616 and have not hooked it up yet . any help or advice is great for me - Thankyou
post #5 of 23 Old 01-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Liked: 11
Unless the TV does any kind of conversion of the signal to a lossy format (which I doubt it does) there will be no perceivable difference in sound quality between HDMI or optical, whether it comes from Even if you hooked up each individual line with RCA analog cables you probably wouldn't be able to hear the difference. 44.1khz sample rate is all that is needed to reproduce the entire frequency range that a human with perfect hearing can perceive.
justpassedu likes this.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 AM

The receiver is made to handle both audio and video.

That receiver will improve on some standard def video as it has a solid video processor so run everything through it. It won't degrade your picture.

Listing your other equipment would also help.
justpassedu likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
post #7 of 23 Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Kamikaze13 as for right now i just got a Panasonic 3d plasma 60'' model st30 , Playstation 3 , xbox360 and a wii u . i dont really run any standard def material . All of this needs to be hooked up and it will be going with the onkyo 616 receiver , i have a polk tl1900 speaker setup and sub package thats 5.1 and i just grabbed two sony ss-f6000's onsale for $125 shipped as my two front floor standing speakers so i will be going 7.1 , now i have not hooked anything up yet to the receiver and i am currently happy with the picture of everything but i have read that running all these through my receiver could possibly downgrade the picture , i am already pretty happy with the picture so if using the receiver will effect it i kind of want to stay away from that. If you can reccomend anything to me as for setup my ears are open. I still have no clue what to set what when i get everything hooked up , i have read online crossover's freq need to be set on the sub and speakers to small , i am honestly lost with all this?
post #8 of 23 Old 01-23-2013, 11:38 AM

Hook everything up to the Onkyo. It's designed to manage all of your components and it definitely shouldn't degrade your picture in any way, plus you have the convenience of leaving your tv on 1 input setting.

When you get your receiver, hook everything up and run your Audessey setup, which will calibrate your speaker settings for you. Then you can play around with sound modes and settings etc.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
post #9 of 23 Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

ok sounds good , just waiting on some speaker cable and bananna plugs and i should be good. I will give it a try but if i am not happy with everything connected and the picture it provides through the receiver is there a way to usually turn processing off and just have it pass through the receiver untouched via hdmi but still get great sound and whats with all the setting of freq crossover on the sub and amp , i kinda am clueless to this ?
post #10 of 23 Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassedu View Post

ok sounds good , just waiting on some speaker cable and bananna plugs and i should be good. I will give it a try but if i am not happy with everything connected and the picture it provides through the receiver is there a way to usually turn processing off and just have it pass through the receiver untouched via hdmi but still get great sound and whats with all the setting of freq crossover on the sub and amp , i kinda am clueless to this ?

I own a 616 and it can be set to pass HDMI signals unaltered by the video processing. I'm running a DirecTV HD box, PS-3, Sony 590 3D BD player, and Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD player HDMI into the 616 with one HDMI cable to the set. I do not have the video processor turned off in the 616 as it actually improves the pq from the DirecTV box and doesn't hurt the other sources. I was seriously considering purchasing a Darblet for my setup until I turned on the Qdeo video processing in the 616--the result seemed to be about the same as posters in the various Darblet threads were reporting with that $250+ device.

Steve S.
post #11 of 23 Old 01-23-2013, 01:25 PM

on that system I would think set the sub crossover at 120hz and the speakers at 80hz?

Someone else can maybe help more at this point.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
post #12 of 23 Old 01-23-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Another reason to go receiver to TV: On many TVs, since they are stereo devices, the HDMI handshake tells the source to send stereo, and stereo is all that goes to the TV. The TV can't send multichannel because it never got it. If you go HDMI to the receiver, you eliminate this problem.
post #13 of 23 Old 01-23-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Some great info here thanks everyone , i guess when i have time to hook it all up i will try the Qdeo processing and see how it works out but my cable box and everything i own at the moment going to my tv has great 1080p picture and ofcourse cable only outputs 1080i but most sources look great to me. if you suggest it i will give it a try. Now as for setting the sub crossover at 120hz and the speakers at 80hz what does this all mean and do ? do i have to set my speakers to a certain hz also ? i am really stumped on all of this and i will be going 7.1 so i want to all sound really good . Thanks
post #14 of 23 Old 01-23-2013, 02:07 PM

Your sub will have a dial on the back. Set it to 120hz.

The rest of the settings will be done in your receiver menu after you do the Audyssey calibration. Or you can just use the Audyssey settings and enjoy!

Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
post #15 of 23 Old 01-23-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

thanks man 120hz it is . Just wondering what do all these different hz numbers actually do and effect ?
post #16 of 23 Old 01-23-2013, 03:36 PM

It's the frequency of sound that is being sent to the speakers. So if you set your receiver to 100hz for your speakers it will send that frequency and higher to the speaker (mid range and treble) everything below 100hz (mid range - bass) would go to the subwoofer.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
post #17 of 23 Old 01-24-2013, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

so 120hz should be set for the best sound ?
post #18 of 23 Old 01-24-2013, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Best sound is a bit subjective, and it's a large subject to absorb all at once. Basically though, your sub has a filter (Low Pass Filter) in its plate amp to prevent sounds that are too high in pitch from being amplified and played. Your receiver also has essentially this same feature in the form of a 'crossover' setting (sometimes many of them for different channels) which splits sound between speaker and sub. You do not want to create a 'hole' in your sound by having the subwoofer reject sounds that the receiver will only play on the sub, so it's best to have the subwoofer's filter frequency set high, in most cases. This is not a sharp cutoff, instead it rolls off above the setting.

post #19 of 23 Old 01-24-2013, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

so best is to set the sub to 120hz than ? sorry i am kind of new to all this . I am running the polk tl1900 http://www.polkaudio.com/products/tl1900 , the sony ss-f6000 as my front's http://store.sony.com/p/SS-F6000/en/p/SSF6000 and the onkyo tx-nr616 as my receiver http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR616-7-2-Channel-Certified-Receiver/dp/B0077V88W2 . What do you think would be my best settings according to the items i purchased and the sub that comes with the polks ? Thank you
post #20 of 23 Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassedu View Post

so best is to set the sub to 120hz than ? sorry i am kind of new to all this . I am running the polk tl1900 http://www.polkaudio.com/products/tl1900 , the sony ss-f6000 as my front's http://store.sony.com/p/SS-F6000/en/p/SSF6000 and the onkyo tx-nr616 as my receiver http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR616-7-2-Channel-Certified-Receiver/dp/B0077V88W2 . What do you think would be my best settings according to the items i purchased and the sub that comes with the polks ? Thank you

I'll take a stab at this

First you should know that your receiver will have crossover settings for all the speakers in your system other than the subwoofer. These settings are available if you set your speakers to "small" rather than "large" in the receiver's setup menu. All frequencies for all speakers below this crossover setting will be rerouted to the sub. Frequencies above this crossover setting will be sent to the appropriate speakers. You can set different crossover settings for center, l/r front, l/r surround, and left/right back surround.

In your case the Sony main speakers are rated to go down to 40hz, which is wildly optimistic but does indicate that a crossover setting of 80hz or so will work well. The polk satellite speakers only go down to 95hz so the crossover setting should be set higher for them--maybe 110-120hz. All frequencies above these crossover settings will not be sent to the sub. For this reason you can set the sub's crossover knob anyhere you want as long as it's above the highest crossover setting you're using for any of the other speakers--even all the way up to the 300hz setting as nothing above the crossover settings you set on your receiver will get to the sub anyway. Most all receiver mfgs recommend setting the sub's crossover knob all the way up when using the receiver's bass management.

One benefit of using bass management (rerouting bass from mains/center/sat speakers to sub) is that it relieves the reciever of the heavy power load necessary to reproduce low bass frequencies--that load is assumed by the amp built into your powered subwoofer. This frees up power from the reciever for the mid-high frequencies for less distortion at higher volumes. This is why it's not a bad idea to go ahead and set the crossover for your speakers higher than the minimum rated frequency response of those speakers.

The human hearing apparatus can't localize frequencies below 100-120hz very well at all so there's no harm in rerouting those to a single subwoofer---it won't affect the perception of surround sound at all.

Basically, set your sub to about half it's volume setting and turn the crossover knob all the way up, run Audyssey, then check the results--if the sub level is automatically set below about -2 db or so, turn the volume knob on the sub down a bit and repeat the Audyssey setup until the receiver does set the sub level at 0db plus or minus 2. Then go in and manually set any speakers that the receiver sets to "large" to "small" and set crossover for the Sonys to 80 or so and the polks to 110-120. You don't need to rerun Audyssey again after doing this,

Steve S.
post #21 of 23 Old 01-24-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by samth3mancgp View Post

44.1khz sample rate is all that is needed to reproduce the entire frequency range that a human with perfect hearing can perceive.

While 44.1 kHz for humans with imperfect hearing (read: aged) will already be overkill. LOL

Cheers, Feri

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #22 of 23 Old 01-24-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

thank you this was very helpfull , i will give it a try i plan on having everything setup some time next week , stil waiting on my floor standing speakers but i am going to give all this a try and greatly appreciate it . I am still learning so any info you'd like to post up for a beginer with this setup please do my ears are open . I am going to print this all out and use it during my setup , i just hope i dont have problems bc i need to be able to passthrough my ps3 , xbox360 , wii u and my 3d tv and i just want to all sound good and work well . All sounds so complicated lol
post #23 of 23 Old 01-24-2013, 02:35 PM

Liked: 13
I'm not sure
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page