Amp for electrostatic speakers - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 04-12-2013, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
these Theos can go down to 0.8 ohms so I am worried if I'm killing the receiver or at the very least missing out on higher frequency sounds.

Short of a load resistor in series, there really isn't much you can do that wouldn't require major modifications to the Martins.

You will lose max SPL, and still have the same impedence dip, but not below what your amp can safely handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 04-12-2013, 11:37 PM

Just to add, subsolar.....

Don't look at the flaws of your Martins in a completely negative light.

If you become inclined to properly resolve the issues with them, you have the advantage of winding up with speakers that are far superior to the overpriced versions Martin sold - and probably far superior to pretty much any other production speaker out there.

It's like buying a cherry '67 Mustang fastback..... who cares if there's a motor or transmission in it, you got the meat - everything else is just gravy.
post #33 of 37 Old 04-13-2013, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
to the OP - if looking to keep the budget below $1,000, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Sunfire Stereo amp (either the 200wpc or the 300wpc Signature ) as a good match for the 'Logans.
They have tons of current reserves and never get warm, even at high volumes. Look around on the used market regularly, as they come and go very fast.

They can even handle driving the step-up transformer directly, as they do in my setup where I've bypassed the factory passive crossovers.

regarding Sanders, I will attest to the fact that the combination of his speakers and Amps are first class, so he must know something and things right. His amps deliver excellent results and there are many very satisfied ESL owners using them, even after comparing to high-end Pass and Krell amps, they stick with the Sanders.

More info on MartinLogans and what people use to drive them can be found at the MartinLogan owners site.
post #34 of 37 Old 04-13-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I will attest to the fact that the combination of his speakers and Amps are first class, so he must know something and things right.

The current "Sanders" amp may well be a good one - the first one was.

But then, he didn't design that one either.
post #35 of 37 Old 04-13-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quite the vendetta going...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #36 of 37 Old 04-14-2013, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 240
^^
sure seems that way

I have an ESL300 Innersound amp & yes, I always knew it was made by Coda to Sanders specs. it is a bit different than the "standard" equivalent Coda amp so I assume that was Roger's doing. all I know is it's a great performer for Maggies wink.gif I wouldn't hesitate to get his higher powered Magtech amp (also built by Coda) regardless of dirty larry's agenda here.

Steve
post #37 of 37 Old 04-15-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
all I know is it's a great performer for Maggies

Why wouldn't it be?

It's a conventional amp driving magnetic speakers.

That's my point.
Quote:
I wouldn't hesitate to get his higher powered Magtech amp (also built by Coda) regardless of dirty larry's agenda here.

My "agenda" is to clarify the claim that Sanders designed conventional amps specifically to drive ESL's, because he didn't.

One of the many things Sanders never understood is that frequency remains inversely proportional to power in ESL's just as it is in magnetic speakers.

Electrostatic speakers do not use power in the usual sense. So they do not modulate the voltages inside unregulated power supply amplifiers. Therefore the regulated power supply in the Magtech is not as important when driving ESLs as it is when driving magnetic speakers.

That's just stupid.

The lower the frequency you produce, the more air you have to move, and the more power it takes - regardless of whether excursion is induced magnetically or electrostaticlly.

Your speaker may have a flat response, but this certainly doesn't mean it will reproduce a bass drum with the same power input as a cymbal.

Of course an ESL will "modulate" an unregulated supply.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A2010 Receiver , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page