Replacement for Denon AVR-1802 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-24-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello!

I am thinking for replacement for my old AV receiver Denon AVR-1802.
I am using it for my PC (optical output, but analog possible (not best but not bad sound car (Terratec Aureon Space 7.1)), Blu-Ray Player Panasonic DMP-BDT310, Playstation 2 and CD Player Denon DCD-960.

Will be used for music and movies. So I am searching for 5.1 and very good music performance. I understand that stereo amplifier will be better suited for this but I have now very small room and there is no room for 5.1 and 2.0 at this moment. But I plan to buy headphones amplifier if I won't be satisfied with new AVR - but I hopes I will be biggrin.gif For CD I some times used cd player's headphone amplifier which is better then denon AVR-1802..

I was thinking about Marantz NR1602 as I heard it is very good in stereo music performance (for an unwxpensive AVR). And I like it has anolog video to hdmi conversion (will be used for playstation at least), plays flac from usb.
I found it for 400€ which is ~340 GBP.

A friend suggested me to look at Denon 1713 (which doesn't analog-digital video conversion) 340€ and Denon 2113 for 460€. And Onkyo 414 which I doesn't like because of design and I found problems with hdmi and not that good music performance. But 2 optical and 2 coax audio in is big plus!

At this moment I have only 2.0 old Philips 15W, 8ohm speakers eek.gifbiggrin.gif I plan to buy small speaker 5.1 because I have little space in my room now. I will probable move to bigger room/own flat in 1-3 years so I will buy new speakers then - the ones that will be apropriate at that time smile.gif

So my question is, buy Marantz NR1602 or something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 07:10 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
If you need the analog ---> HDMI conversion feature, then either the 1602 or the 2113 would serve you well.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, analog-digital conversion is a big plus. But if there is int price up to 500€ (400-420GBP) with better music reproduction without video conversion, I will be thinking about it smile.gif
post #4 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 07:03 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
The 1713 has no analog--> HDMI conversion but has the better Audyssey MultEQ XT over just regular MultEQ in the 1602. XT has 8x more speaker filter control points but uses the same number of sub filter control points but there should still be enough of a difference between the two.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 10 Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

I see.
I have just found an local offer for used Yamaha RX V3800 for 400€, seems like it has everything I wanted. and original price was much more then I can spend on new receiver so it should be good quality - at least for me. What do you think? smile.gif
post #6 of 10 Old 01-31-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

seller of the yamaha suggested me to stay with my old AVR Denon 1802.
I never had anything better then 1802, nor did I heard anything else. Does HD codecs on BluRay or MultEQ/MultEQ XT big difference to sound? I mean, is it worth upgrading?

video conversion can be done by external box, which may do better job than AVR and conversion is not that big problem to me.

Maybe speakers more suitable for my avr would do the change I wanted at first place rolleyes.gif
post #7 of 10 Old 01-31-2013, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by skkayman View Post

Does HD codecs on BluRay or MultEQ/MultEQ XT big difference to sound? I mean, is it worth upgrading?

Unless you have good...no wait...great speakers and an acoustically designed theater room, you'll see no benefit with listening to sound using Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD.
Quote:
Maybe speakers more suitable for my avr would do the change I wanted at first place rolleyes.gif

Speakers are almost always the weakest link in a person AV system...it's amazing how a good pair of speakers will make an average sounding amplifier sound great. It would be best to start with speakers first and go from there.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I suggest that you get the Harmon-Kardon AVR 1700 or 2650.

That will be a big upgrade from Denon or Marantz HT receivers IMO (which are essentially the same; made on the same production line).

For speakers, I suggest the Martin-Logan MLT-2 system, which you can find at some very good prices (under $400 some places).
post #9 of 10 Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post

Unless you have good...no wait...great speakers and an acoustically designed theater room, you'll see no benefit with listening to sound using Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD.
Speakers are almost always the weakest link in a person AV system...it's amazing how a good pair of speakers will make an average sounding amplifier sound great. It would be best to start with speakers first and go from there.
I was thinking about bookshelfs (small room) - Wharfedale Diamond series or Heco Music Colors smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I suggest that you get the Harmon-Kardon AVR 1700 or 2650.
That will be a big upgrade from Denon or Marantz HT receivers IMO (which are essentially the same; made on the same production line).
I have seen a few H/Ks in stores and private sales but they are usually expensive comparing other in functionality. these two do not have pre outs. not a big deal but if I decide to but some old cheap but great stereo ampifier, I would be missing it.. Maybe different model smile.gif
post #10 of 10 Old 02-11-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

I have decided to buy new speakers (front bookshelfs, Wharfedale Diamond probably). Then buy Denon AVR2310 - I found one for 400€, 2years warranty, demonstration item from shop. Or buy something second handed for similar price and features (3-4 HDMI inputs, 1-2 outputs, analogvideo - hdmi conversion, flac/usb/ethernet, preouts, Audassey MultEx XT or Yamaha's YPAO with multiplace, .. - Denons 2310, 2810, 2808, or higher old models, Marantz SR5006, 6006, .., Yamaha's Avantage series).

and if music performance will be worse then it is now with Denon 1802 (I believe it won't be worse), I will buy some old stereo amp, DAC and speaker switch for music smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page