Audio only processor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-24-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use a scaler for hdmi switching and wonder if anyone makes an audio processor that does not include input switching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-24-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Not AFAIK, and if somebody does, expect it to be very expensive since it would be very much a niche product
post #3 of 7 Old 01-25-2013, 02:36 AM

Liked: 11
Lol, I just asked something similar myself yesterday a couple of hours before you did albeit in a more elaborate fashion biggrin.gif
What are the odds... wink.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1454034/single-source-receiver

Looks like we're SOL, but I'm sure we're not the only ones in this situation. There are several scenario's where this type of device would be very useful, but unfortunately the amount of people who would be interested are either content with settling on a receiver anyway or are just not voicing their need so no manufacturer will ever undertake the endeavour thinking there is no market for it.

JHAz also correctly points out in my thread that even if someone would make such a thing, chances are it would end up being as expensive as a receiver and we all know what we would buy in that case wink.gif
post #4 of 7 Old 01-25-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Theta, ADA, and Classe make audio only but you still feed them HDMI.

Theta does have a true audio only as well.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #5 of 7 Old 01-26-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wasn't really asking for a way to reduce costs as much as a way to simplify the equipment. Why have all of the switching apparatus when one doesn't use it? Early in the digital transformation Sony made a piece that offered Dolby Digital processing and was designed as an add-on to older receivers. I still have one somewhere, but of course it does not include the newer audio coding systems.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-26-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Illogical request and impractical for the manufacturers. The DD tagged on unit isn't a full-featured audio processor and it is really a single format decoder. There are HDMI audio extractors/decoders/de-embedders (One example: http://www.atlona.com/pdf/manuals/AT-HD570_manual_v2.pdf) which do similar but they aren't audio processors.

Bear in mind also:
1. By the same logic, you don't need input switching or video scaling/processing on the TV, so would you ask for a TV manufacturer to make one 'barebone'?
2. An audio processor should take care of other legacy inputs, SPDIF and analogue. Not everyone is using HDMI.
3. If cost cutting isn't a concern, then what is? Complicated in what sense? Switching is detrimental to SQ?
4. What if the only audio input is faulty, you have nothing else to fall back on.
5. Not everyone who uses an audio processor necessarily uses or wants to use a video processor or uses it for switching. A video processor remembers settings per input, likewise an audio processor can do the same and some might prefer that.
6. Audio processor is already very niche, it just doesn't make sense to make one with one input, one with two inputs, one with three inputs in different combinations just to cater for a few customer's specific demands.

Actually the Meridian processor is something like that, with its one proprietary input which needs another Meridian unit to take in HDMI inputs and output in its proprietary encrypted format. It is more complicated, not less, and the first unit still does input switching.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #7 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the gentle reply. I did state that the old Sony unit mentioned wasn't what we would now call "full featured." and I didn't realize that multiple hdmi inputs were there for fear of input failure. I am sure from your input that you are employed by one of the major manufacturers of audio products, so I bow to your superior knowledge.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page