Denon 3313 with a Headphone Amp (pre-amp out question) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-25-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm trying to plug in a headphone amp (Burson HA-160) to my receiver and use it as a DAC for the amp. My desired functionality would be having the amp plugged in at all times and select where the output goes, speakers or pre-out/media player. At this point, I have no idea how to make that happen or if it's even possible.

Here is the back of the receiver. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to hook it all up so I can have my cake and eat it too? When connected to pre-out (FL & FR), nothing goes into the amp. In the manual, I dug up a note saying you can't have both speakers and pre-out connected at the same time, which is a bummer. The amp only has one analog, RCA input.

Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-25-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

One more note, plugging the amp in the Media Player out doesn't pass through any signal, only for internal receiver sources (radio or network). Any other sources are only coming out of the speakers.

Also, having it in Media Player doesn't mute the speakers, nor can I find anything that would allow me to do that.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-25-2013, 05:55 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
What's the point? The DAC on the 3313CI is more than capable. Although note that as far as external sources go, only analog input sources will pass through the Media Player analog outputs or the Zones 2/3 pre-outs.

For more information on your 3313CI, refer to the Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread linked in my sig to include the following information on Zone 2 ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_M

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 4 Old 01-25-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

What's the point? The DAC on the 3313CI is more than capable.

right, that is exactly what I want to use it for (instead of buying a dedicated DAC to connect to the amp). since the Denon already has a great DAC, I want to take full advantage of it. But the headphone output on the Denon is less than an adequate pairing to my headphones so I definitely want to use my Burson to power those.

I wasn't aware only analog signals would be passed through - that's unfortunate. Any other workarounds come to mind by any chance?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page