I'm new to this, i think: YAMAHA RX-V473 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-26-2013, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's the scoop, I use my computer for everything, no TV (I hate television but i like movies) no dvd player box, no satellite, just my desktop computer. I recently bought a laptop because I'm getting into school and I figured I would need it. I hope to build a newer desktop system since the one i have is getting pretty dated (2000).

I'm living in a travel trailer, I might get into an apartment but i don't see myself in a house any time soon. So as far as i can tell i am after a 5.1 surround system. I have used 2 speakers for my computer for years, but a while ago i went to someones house and watched a movie with surround sound and i was blown away. So i decided i wanted one for myself.

After doing some research, basically a shot in the dark because i know almost nothing about the subject, i found that the opinions on brands seem to be all over the place, but Sony doesn't sound that great in general. Onkyo and Yamaha seem to be more of a brand loyalty than any useful advantages of either one. others just seem to be pricey, not sure if i reviewed them all though.

I listen to music every day and watch movies occasionally, Im after a decent set of speakers in a budget and I guess i have to have a receiver for surround..? my computer has optical output for audio so i figured i would use it. (sounds best?) I like Pandora radio so I chose the RX-V473 based on that. From what i saw i liked the Yamaha over Onkyo. I have no experience though.

So do i need a receiver? if so what do you suggest? im not looking to spend much over $300 for the box. I also need some direction on speakers, i was thinking of a Yamaha box set with that receiver in it, but then i heard the speakers aren't the best. I'd guess at Polk RM510, that's a bit more than i want to spend, but if the sound quality is worth it then ill bite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-26-2013, 03:52 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
You may also simply want to consider getting a nice set of headphones to connect to your laptop, otherwise the bundle below would be a good choice ...

http://www.electronics-expo.com/Denon-AVR-1613-Channel-Through-Networking/dp/B009E7B06S?field_availability=-1&field_browse=6254945011&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&id=Denon+AVR-1613+Channel+Through+Networking&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name%2Cspecial_features&searchNodeID=6254945011&searchPage=3&searchRank=price&searchSize=12

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 3 Old 01-26-2013, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I looked around some more and i found this one, seems comparable:
pioneer VSX-822-K

I cant stand headphones, it seems the reciever is for amping up the power to run all the speakers? Also what should I concern myself with on the decoder support? dolby various decoders and the other one dts?

Is there a good solution without a decoder or just an amp for the speakers?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V473 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page