new basement movie room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-26-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am building a new room in my basement and am looking for some help with what type of audio setup would work best for my room layout. I will try and give the best description of the room that I can. This room will be used for watching movies, gaming (minimal), and hanging out with the guys. The room dimensions are 23' deep, 16' wide and 8' ceiling. The room has 3 concrete walls which will all be studded and drywalled. The forth wall will be studded/drywall as well, however this wall will come out 8' then have a 8' wide open doorway and then turn into a 40" knee wall until it reaches the stairway door (which is in the corner of this new room). The 8' doorway goes into another completely studded/drywalled room that will be used as a kids playroom. All ceilings will be drywalled. A beam separates the 2 rooms and there is duct work on the movie room side so I will be building a 10" high by 24" wide soffit running along both 23' walls inside the movie room. 1 soffit will obviously be covering covering the duct work that runs the entire 23' of the room and the other side of the room soffit will just be for making the room look symmetrical.
I will have a pj mounted to the ceiling and the screen will be on the 16' wall that has the 8' full wall coming off of it.To try and simplify it will have full walls on each side of the screen, one 23' wall and one 8' wall that opens up to the play room. This will put the screen between the soffits. I am planning to build 24" x 24" cabinets that will start below the soffit and run to the floor on both sides of the screen. Ideally these cabinets would hold all of my audio, gaming, network, etc stuff. This is where my questions begin and I thank you very much if you are still reading at this point.

Can I put my audio equipment in a 24" x 24" cabinet without it overheating? I would obviously want the door on the cabinet closed while watching a movie seeings these cabinets will be to the right and left of the screen. The placement of the cabinets under the soffit is for wiring purposes. If needed, I can relocate the cabinets so I can leave a door open to prevent overheating.

What type of surround system do you all recommend with this type of room layout? 5.1, 7.1?

I would like to keep the audio system around $2000. Can any of you please take my hand and point me in the right direction? My current living room has a 5.2 Samsung HW-C700 receiver with some basic Samsung "theater in a box" speakers and a couple 6" Yahmaha subs. Clearly nothing fancy, but to me it sounds good. I want this new room to sound great.

Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts, warnings will be greatly appreciated. I am very ignorant to the A/V world, I don't even know enough to be dangerous. I do know that I have an opportunity to make a new room and want to be sure to do it right. Thank you very much for your time and help.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page