Integrated amp vs 2 channel reciever HELP. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-26-2013, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I set out to accomplish a high or higher end system to listen to music only through 2 channels with the addition of a seperate sub woofer and sub woofer amplifier.

I have a new set of CM1 speakers (a pair). I had made a decision at first to obtain the Harmon Kardon HK3490 reciever, then as I started to learn more my decision was swayed into a NAD 356DAC integrated amplifier, and as I learned a little more, then into my final decision and purchase of a Peachtree Decco 65.

So to this point I have CM1's. I have a Peachtree Decco 65 and I have a NHT MA1A sub amplifier and an NHT sub woofer.

I was and am still under the impression, to hear the clearest of fullest sound, should be done with a labtop and the USB cable from the labtop to the inegrated amplifier, of which I can run Itunes.

I am very dis-pleased to say the least. I love the CM1's because not only did I hear them play on many different recievers prior to purchase, I've heard them play on my old school Nakamichi AV1 reciever when I made the decision to purchase them and bring them home. I've been playing them on my Nakamichi for at least two weeks, and then my Peachtree showed up from Crutchfield and I hooked it up yesterday and was disgusted from what I spent and what I got vs. my old school AV Nacamichi. Being that I went the route of the integrated amp, I have no adjustability for bass and treble to my CM1's, and that is dis-appointing that I can't get this system to be acceptable to my ears.

To eliminate the labtop out of the equation, I have also hooked up my ipod and played music through it as well. No difference to my ear. With the labtop or the ipod, I have this Peachtree up at 85 percent of volume knob and I am not impressed at all, the non adjustability is whats making me upset. Yes it's loud and fairly clear, but im not impressed for how it was bragged about by the sales people.

I right click on teh speaker icon and I have adjustability through the labtop for volume. I have adjustability through the labtop for left and right percentages as well and a few other things that seem to do nothing. Is Itunes the correct way to deliver music into this integrated amp? My labtop is a Dell inspiron 8200.

I will tell you this, it is not the speakers. Am I missing something? Please help!

P.S. I have the opportunity to return this Peachtree Decco 65 if need be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Any takers?
post #3 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I would return the Peachtree. I am leaning toward the NAD.
also for your consideration the Outlaw Audio RR 2150.
I have one for a 2.1 setup and it's great!!

You also don't say how your music is encoded on your computer/iPod ??

Lossy mp3 or lossless format. Could very well make a big difference.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

I am so delighted to find out, by process of elimination, that the USB port/circuit is faulty on my brand new Peachtree Decco 65. (circuit cuts out when playing through lab top).

I have figured out the above, some what by enabling "the equalizer" in the itunes bar, and was able to adjust some what, but still not a comparison to my 1991 A / V reciever. I am more dis-pleased than ever now, because I assumed the problem was in my labtop usb port or even the usb cable, and not the brand new integrated amp :mad.gif. I never mentioned in my opening post, that I had another issue and it was to avoid confusion for the reader. I just assumed it was my equipment (labtop) and I would swap another one in and continue to test and figure out a happy medium for sound quality.
Quote:
Lossy mp3 or lossless format. Could very well make a big difference.

If you don't mind, can you explain further. A lot of this is new to me.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

So...are you going to return the Peachtree for another unit or try
Something different??

How did you put the music onto your computer/iPod?
Did you import from CD's you own or did you buy the
Music from iTunes ?
post #6 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Right now I don't want my emotions to get the best of me, but if I did, I would throw it through a window. Not my window.

The unit must go back and that decision was pretty much made 24 hours after I recieved it, which I recieved late last week, no less than about 3 or 4 days ago.

What to get next? This is very tough now, because this can be just a matter of taste and preference. I am puzzled and do not want to make he same mistake. The push on the Peachtree over the NAD and the discussion about the differece in thd and a few other things was swept quickly under the rug by the sales person expressing that even though the NAD showed better figures on paper, it wasn't necessarily true, and with that I was confused but put faith in the sales person to guide me. The wattage difference was also swept under the rug as well and the same statement was made about truthful numbers might be mis-leading, and once again leaned me towards the Peachtree.

With this said, I will be honest and tell you straight forward that I know nothing other than what I canb read about the NAD 356 dac, and what I can read about the Harmon Kardon 3490. I am also fighting with even entertaining a non 2 channel system, like a high power 5.1 or 7.1 or 7.2.

I think a venture down to a high end store in nyc is in order for my ears.

My downloads are from itunes to my labtop. I don't quite know if that tells you anything.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCT1 View Post

Right now I don't want my emotions to get the best of me, but if I did, I would throw it through a window. Not my window.

The unit must go back and that decision was pretty much made 24 hours after I recieved it, which I recieved late last week, no less than about 3 or 4 days ago.

My downloads are from itunes to my labtop. I don't quite know if that tells you anything.

You should be good to go with iTunes purchases. The quality
(sampling rate) is a lot better than it used to be.

Did you look at the Outlaw Audio rr2150??

I think the NAD or the HK 3490 would be much better than the Peachtree.

Lot of people on this forum have the HK and love them.

The Outlaw has bass management for your subwoofer,
The NAD and the HK don't .
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page