A Month of Misery (Technology, pffft!) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-26-2013, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What can go wrong next?
First, I bought a Pioneer 1022-K. I returned it within 10 days because it has video playback issues during Blu-ray. more than a few times during the movie, video would go black for 2-5s, but audio was uninterrupted.

I chose a Yamaha 573 during the Pio exchange, only to find that, if i had known what i was doing beforehand, i would have chosen something better since I wanted to be able to hook up an amp in the future. 573 has no preouts or Spotify (which I though the firmware update was adding), so i take it back as well.

I doubled my research efforts, reading through several threads and posts here at AVS, deciding that i wanted something with MultEQ XT. And Spotify streaming was something i value way more than AirPlay. I had it narrowed down to a Onkyo 809 or Denon 21 or 2313. one of my local Fry's had an open box Onkyo 809 for only $400, but it had absolutely no accessories with it. Missing the Audyssey mic was the deal breaker, so I went with the Denon 2313. It is overkill for my room (12x12 bedroom, my main dwelling). While i didn't *need* any of the features, i thought the Spotify streaming, powered zone2, front HDMI, 2 sub outs and other preouts were all a cool bonus and a bit of future proofing.

Wednesday, I grabbed a Logitech Harmony 600. Came home and set it up via USB connection and was pleased with the ease of set-up and it's ability to control my 10+ year old Sony CD changer as well as all my newer devices. Then, suddenly the receiver would power off without warning. I was concerned, but i noticed that after a couple of days, it only did it during CD playback. Apparently, HDMI control was shutting down the receiver when the TV auto standby kicked in, but I had never had that issue, so I blame the Logitech for somehow changing that setting. But, no harm donee, that issue was resolved earlier Saturday afternoon, or will i never know?

Saturday evening, I decided to watch a little cable TV, then i put in Wrath of the Titans. There was an issue with speakers making a popping noise, but i blamed that on the cable signal as it never happened on the blu-ray. After Wrath was finished, I wanted to watch Star Wars, so I popped in Episode V. Right as Han Solo is about to get dipped in carbonite, the receiver incessantly starts turning off, coming back on, and repeating over and over. I used my Harmony to power off all devices, but I still heard clicking coming from the Denon. by the time I could stand up and walk over to my TV stand, it had started with the flashing red light. Having previously read something about the flashing red light, I immediately searched the Official Denon xx13 owner's thread and saw a suggestion to reset the microprocessor. I looked up my pdf owner's manual for instructions and tried to do as it instructed. Holding power button with TUNE + and TUNE - isn't so difficult. I must not have pressed all three buttons simultaneously, as the clicking got faster and faster, the LED changed to a green flash, but the display never came on as the manual said it should if all was done correctly.

EDIT: The unit was not hot to the touch at all. maybe a bit warm, but i don't think it to have been the issue.

Now, I am writing this post because I have a complete brick. The power button on the receiver is not responding, nor on the remote. Having tried the unplug from wall for a few minutes trick already, and all speaker wires are solidly connected banana plugs, i have no option but to return this unit to Fry's tomorrow, after I was already there today >_<<br />
Woe is me. If it is my Infinity Primus 363 towers wreaking havoc because they are possibly 4ohm and not the listed 8ohm, I should go with Onkyo or Yamaha, yes? Yamaha was a big improvement over Pio, just as the Denon was a big improvement over the Yamaha, at least for my listening pleasure.

I'm feeling a tad lost!

Sometimes our circuits get shorted by external interference,
Signals get crossed and the balance distorted by internal incoherence.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page