Heat Cabinet, ideas to reduce? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a denon receiver, dvd and dvr cable box in a enclosed entertainment center cabinet w/ a glass front. While separated and allowed to breath, the enclosure gets pretty hot so when using the Denon in particular, i open the door to allow more air circulation. However, i think it is still warm in there even when the receiver is not on. I thought about getting a very small fan to add more flow, perhaps connect it to the receiver so when it is on, the fan is running, etc. Maybe i'm worrying about something that doesn't matter but looking for suggestions on fans and things some of you have done to combat heat buildup. thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-28-2013, 12:50 PM

Liked: 19
http://www.coolerguys.com/
post #3 of 6 Old 01-28-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealboy View Post

I have a denon receiver, dvd and dvr cable box in a enclosed entertainment center cabinet w/ a glass front. While separated and allowed to breath, the enclosure gets pretty hot so when using the Denon in particular, i open the door to allow more air circulation. However, i think it is still warm in there even when the receiver is not on. I thought about getting a very small fan to add more flow, perhaps connect it to the receiver so when it is on, the fan is running, etc. Maybe i'm worrying about something that doesn't matter but looking for suggestions on fans and things some of you have done to combat heat buildup. thx

I don't think I would hook up the fan to the receiver. Might develop noise that you don't want. Heat is electronics worst enemy. I have some of my gear behind double glass doors, but the equipment that runs hot to begin with, I have on a shelf out in the open, not behind glass doors. My processor is on an open shelf. My Directv set top box is also open. My five channel amp is on the bottom shelf of a tall wood entertainment center behind double wood doors. I always open both wood doors while the system is on, to dissipate the heat from the amp. Not too much room on the sides, but about one foot of overhead clearance is there. If you have everything inside the enclosed with no ventilation, you are asking for trouble. Some people configure two fans- one blowing fresh air in on the bottom of the rack, and one blowing the heat out the top. Of course you are now going to have to deal with "minor" fan noise. Depends one where the rack is located.

I drilled four inch holes along the rear of the shelves...maybe four each wood shelf. I can pass cables through the holes inside the cabinet, and the holes create natural convection to help out a little. If your glass doors are double doors- side by side, you can close one of them and open one of them just a little bit. But If your not going to use the fans, I would remove the hot equipment from the cabinet over to an open location.

Espo77
post #4 of 6 Old 01-28-2013, 02:00 PM

Liked: 14
I usually keep my door open when I'm running things. My AVR is on the bottom shelf with a good 8-10 clearance above it before the next shelf. Seems to keep things cooler.

Do you have a back panel? Maybe remove it?
post #5 of 6 Old 01-28-2013, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I added a mini USB fan powered off my receiver. Also added dual cooler guys fan to rear. Don't hear the mini fan at all. Can hear the cooler guys one ever so slightly.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-28-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 125
You should have @ least 4-5" free-air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover...
Anything less, long-term reliability can/will suffer and can likely cause thermal amplifier shutdown..

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page