Should I buy a used receiver off ebay? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-28-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was thinking of buying a higher end used receiver off ebay in the $250 price range and was wondering if you guys thought it would be a good idea. I don't need all kinds of bells and whistles. I just want to be able to connect my ps3 and directTV receiver to it. My TV already has HDMI so I can just connect to the receiver using digital optical cables if need be. Mainly I am looking for a receiver that has a good amplifier and that will have good audio performance. I had previously considered buying a new entry level receiver but based on reviews, most of them don't seem to be very reliable and I would get a better amplifier in an older higher end receiver. If anyone does recommend buying a used receiver off of ebay, do you recommend any specific older models?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-28-2013, 03:48 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2441 View Post

I was thinking of buying a higher end used receiver off ebay in the $250 price range and was wondering if you guys thought it would be a good idea. I don't need all kinds of bells and whistles. I just want to be able to connect my ps3 and directTV receiver to it. My TV already has HDMI so I can just connect to the receiver using digital optical cables if need be. Mainly I am looking for a receiver that has a good amplifier and that will have good audio performance. I had previously considered buying a new entry level receiver but based on reviews, most of them don't seem to be very reliable and I would get a better amplifier in an older higher end receiver. If anyone does recommend buying a used receiver off of ebay, do you recommend any specific older models?

I personally wouldn't buy something off eBay. First, you don't know what the previous owner did to it, you don't know if he ran it hard, or he ran it once a week. You also don't get any sort of warranty with a purchase from Fleabay.

If you want something good for $250, try this.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1613/DENON-AVR-1613-5.1ch-Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-ready/1.html
post #3 of 3 Old 01-28-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I have been reading reviews on the denon xx12 and xx13 receivers and there have been some reliability issues with them. For example, amazon reviews of the 1612 and 1613 have revealed issues with the receiver overheating and switching off randomly. One Amazon reviewer of the Denon 1912 said that the receiver caught fire. I might consider accessories4less for a higher end receiver but I would be very skeptical about buying an entry level refurb from them from any brand. With any refurb you buy, there was already something wrong with it and there is no guarantee that the same or more problems won't pop up in the future. I would agree that it is a risk buying a used receiver from ebay with no warranty but I can look at things like seller feedback and if they have a return policy. For example, if the return policy was 14 days, I would think you would be able to discover if something was wrong with the receiver in that time.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page