Recommendations for an Amp while using my AVR and as a pre-amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-28-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello all,

I currently have a Marantz SR6006 driving a Polk RTi front soundstage. It sounds good, but after hearing someone's similar setup with a Citation pre/pro system i can seriously hear the lack of clarity from being underpowered. I can in no way afford the Citation Amp (cheapest i could find it for used was over $2200) so I am looking for alternatives. I looked at the Emotiva XPA-3 and am leaning towards that. My questions are:

1) Are there any alternatives I should consider in the same price range?

2) Will using my AVR as a pre while still having it power my rears present any issues? In other words, am I correct in assuming that my AVR CAN be used as the pre?

Thanks!

HD-DVD: 55 / Blu-ray: 83
newest: Brotherhood of the Wolf / Battlestar Galactica (series), TDKR Part 2, Ip Man 2

AVR: Marantz SR6006

F/C/R: Polk RTi A9's / CSi A6 / Speakercraft AIMWIDE 3

Sub: SVS PB12-NSD

Samsung PN58C8000 Samsung BD-P2550, Toshiba HD-A30, SA 8240HDC, Xbox360 Elite, PS3, WDTV Live

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I added an XPA-3 to my older Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX. Now understand that this is a former "flagship" receiver rated 130 watts and that tested at 120 watts all 7 channels driven which no receiver does any more. Adding the amp at 200 watts per channel to the front 3 speakers netted me absolutely no noticable change in sound at normal listening levels. I am not aware of what your receiver is tested at.

If you are going to try this, I would recommend the XPA-5 just to give yourself options in the future. Never know if you will go to a pre-pro and need more channels with amps. Wish I had done that. Lets you power a pair of surrounds as well. I have no issues with the XPA-3 at all - it has worked perfectly. If you know anyone that would let you borrow a multichannel amp to test if this will really make a difference, I sure would try it before spending the money. Of course, you won't be out much as the resale on Emotiva amps is quite good with lots of demand.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-28-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemetblk View Post

Hello all,

I currently have a Marantz SR6006 driving a Polk RTi front soundstage. It sounds good, but after hearing someone's similar setup with a Citation pre/pro system i can seriously hear the lack of clarity from being underpowered. I can in no way afford the Citation Amp (cheapest i could find it for used was over $2200) so I am looking for alternatives. I looked at the Emotiva XPA-3 and am leaning towards that. My questions are:

1) Are there any alternatives I should consider in the same price range?

2) Will using my AVR as a pre while still having it power my rears present any issues? In other words, am I correct in assuming that my AVR CAN be used as the pre?

Thanks!

Different speakers? Obviously different room. Power should not relate to clarity (at least in my lexicon) but to whether there's ugly sounding distortion riding on top of the "real" sound.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-28-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemetblk View Post

Hello all,

I currently have a Marantz SR6006 driving a Polk RTi front soundstage. It sounds good, but after hearing someone's similar setup with a Citation pre/pro system i can seriously hear the lack of clarity from being underpowered.

Are you sure that the lack of clarity is necessarily due to the electronics?

Unless you can prove to me that your Marantz is clipping, I am prone to point to less optimal room acoustics as being the more likely source of your perceived lack of clarity..
post #5 of 5 Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The guy had the same speakers, thats why i thought it to be about power. at low to mid volumes there was hardly a difference, but at reference level it was CLEARLY BETTER.

HD-DVD: 55 / Blu-ray: 83
newest: Brotherhood of the Wolf / Battlestar Galactica (series), TDKR Part 2, Ip Man 2

AVR: Marantz SR6006

F/C/R: Polk RTi A9's / CSi A6 / Speakercraft AIMWIDE 3

Sub: SVS PB12-NSD

Samsung PN58C8000 Samsung BD-P2550, Toshiba HD-A30, SA 8240HDC, Xbox360 Elite, PS3, WDTV Live

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page