Which is the Better value? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-28-2013, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

This is my first post and I'm completely illiterate when it comes to home audio, so if I'm not asking the "right" question just let me know and I'll switch it up.

I'm reno'ing my basement and creating a new media room. The media room will be approx 14' from the couch to the tv and then 20' long - but with an open concept. So the 20' is only just to "describe" the room and is open and extends to the other side of the house. (I hope I've described that properly)

Anyways I'll soon be getting a nice Panasonic 65ST50 TV and am looking for my first Home Theater setup.

My wife is partial to the Paradigm Cinema 100T (800$) coupled with a Pioneer Elite VSX-42 reciever (600$). However the store I'm dealing with carries neither of those 2 products and so they suggested Mission MV Series 5.0 Home Theatre System - Rose (MV5CINEMAROSE) ($600), JBL Nightlife 10" Subwoofer (NL150) (400$) and for a receiver the NAD 7.1 280W A/V Surround Sound Receiver (NADT748) (700$)

So 1400$ vs 1700$

Reviews on everything (both options) are all good, but I'm wondering what the opinion of real users are?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-29-2013, 12:07 AM

Liked: 13
I'm not familiar with Mission other than the name and rep (which are good), but the Paradigm Cinema 100 series seems a little small for a room that size, especially open concept. Is there any reason you are going with small satellites instead of towers or larger bookshelf speakers (WAF, etc)? How high is the ceiling going to be? Also, what will be the usage of the system? Movies? TV? Music? A little of everything? This will help us in giving you advice.

NAD makes good products, but the T748 looks a little underpowered in the space you plan to have it in (40 wpc). What location are you in? It would help to know what retailers or online stores you have as options.

HD-DVD: 55 / Blu-ray: 83
newest: Brotherhood of the Wolf / Battlestar Galactica (series), TDKR Part 2, Ip Man 2

AVR: Marantz SR6006

F/C/R: Polk RTi A9's / CSi A6 / Speakercraft AIMWIDE 3

Sub: SVS PB12-NSD

Samsung PN58C8000 Samsung BD-P2550, Toshiba HD-A30, SA 8240HDC, Xbox360 Elite, PS3, WDTV Live

post #3 of 7 Old 01-29-2013, 02:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
neither, there are so many better options if you can go to bookshelfs. Also you're going to want a much larger sub than 10". http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078 is popular and would destroy that JBL sub and it's cheaper. I believe it goes down even more than the price it is now occasionally. I wouldn't go with either of those receivers there are better value receivers. Especially the NAD that is way over priced.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-29-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the responses.

I'm in BC Canada, so my retailer options here are places like BestBuy and Futureshop as well as Newegg.ca. Other places you may not have heard of are Visions Electronics, Andres, and NCIX.com.

One of the reason the wife is endeared to the Paradigm is the size. She's turned off by the tower portion of the front 2 Mission speakers.

Most of the ceiling in the room is 7 and 1/2 feet tall. However the air-ducts are boxed in and run directly over top of where the TV will be. The air-ducts are about 4' wide and drop the ceiling in that area to about 6'5".

The majority of the use will be for Movies and then regular TV.

I am finding it hard to decide how much power per channel I need in a room like this as I'm becoming mired in the tech speak. the NAD pushes 40w per channel but it's also discreet - I'm not sure if the Pioneer does it's 80w discreet or if that's only when 'X' number of channel are active.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
If you live close a border you could ship to a ups store or something and pick up stuff from the states if you go down there much. If not I'd look on canuckaudiomart.com for a good used receiver and speakers, you can get some pretty high end receivers for like 500 bucks. you could get like 1 or 2 of these subs http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Category/Details.aspx?categoryId=162&productId=587&sku=PSW505 but not for that price, they go on sale for like 220-250 once in a while.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 PM

Liked: 13
Unfortunately in a space that large, small satellites won't play loud enough to fill the room without serious distortion from overdriving them. It comes down what's more important: good sound or speakers small enough to hide. This is exactly why Bose stays in business, because for some the aesthetics truly are more important.

I think some nice bookshelf speakers would be a great compromise.

HD-DVD: 55 / Blu-ray: 83
newest: Brotherhood of the Wolf / Battlestar Galactica (series), TDKR Part 2, Ip Man 2

AVR: Marantz SR6006

F/C/R: Polk RTi A9's / CSi A6 / Speakercraft AIMWIDE 3

Sub: SVS PB12-NSD

Samsung PN58C8000 Samsung BD-P2550, Toshiba HD-A30, SA 8240HDC, Xbox360 Elite, PS3, WDTV Live

post #7 of 7 Old 01-30-2013, 12:48 AM

Liked: 21
You should look at the Seirra-1s from Ascend, they perform great in large rooms, you can upgrade the tweeter to NrT later if funds are tighter now, LCR will run you $1280 in black a bit less if you get B stock centre, add $450 if you want NrT now but you can always upgrade them later. Acsend also sells a less expensive speakers like the 340s that'll fit your needs for HT, also Aperion seems to sell great speaker and offers free shipping to Canada, so if you budget is tight and you want best bang for your buck look at ID. Buy a used cheaper AVR on canuckaudiomart and then upgrade that later but put as much as you can now into your LCR. How much can you spend now on your HT setup?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page