Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-29-2013, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Thanks for reading my question.

I've been a proud owner of a TX-NR818 since this week but I'am struggeling to find a good loudspeakers to match my Onkyo.

Some Dali, others say KEF, then other say B&W. And I kin dmake upo my mind.

I want to start with 2 front speakers or 2.1 and build it to a 5.1 and later 7.1 system whem my house has been renovated. I listen predomantly to music and the theater system is secondary. I want good sound and quality.

I've a budget for the 2.1 system between the 3.000 and 4.000 dollars. It may be less if somebody can motivate that and use to expand the system. I know sound and colour is personal but I hear people say about the mechanical click between systems. That the sound is to cold or warm or metallic.

I'am a novice but like a good sound.

Can somebody advise on exeperience not just hearsay.

Thanks,

Cossworth smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossworth View Post

Hi all,

Thanks for reading my question.

I've been a proud owner of a TX-NR818 since this week but I'am struggeling to find a good loudspeakers to match my Onkyo.

Some Dali, others say KEF, then other say B&W. And I kin dmake upo my mind.

I want to start with 2 front speakers or 2.1 and build it to a 5.1 and later 7.1 system whem my house has been renovated. I listen predomantly to music and the theater system is secondary. I want good sound and quality.

I've a budget for the 2.1 system between the 3.000 and 4.000 dollars. It may be less if somebody can motivate that and use to expand the system. I know sound and colour is personal but I hear people say about the mechanical click between systems. That the sound is to cold or warm or metallic.

I'am a novice but like a good sound.

Can somebody advise on experience not just hearsay.

I would recommend that you spend as least as much on your subwoofer as you spend on your 2 front speakers.

Of course dollar amounts mean nothing because the actual price/performance of speakers is all over the map. Subwoofer manufacturer's that I consider to be good price/performance houses include SVS, Hsu, and Velodyne. I hear that Rhythmic are good, as well. So your subwoofer budget is $1,500 - 2,000.

When talking about main speakers, price/performance is at least as squirrelry when it comes to speakers.

My thinking in this matter is strongly affected by this article:

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/

I'll save you reading the article and the footnotes. The punch line is that in terms of listener preference and technical performance, the speakers on the left were most preferred ($500 a pair or less). This begs the question "Why pay $3,800 a pair for something that sounds worse?"

I also know that they are a good performance match for a $1,500-2,000 subwoofer.

Take the remaining $1,000 and invest it in room acoustics. I guess.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page