Sony STR-DN1030 A/V Receiver or up my budget? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-29-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm currently looking for a receiver to power my new setup. The setup will be 4 Polk Monitor 70's with a Polk CS2 as a center. I'm most likely going to add 2 Polk Monitor 60's to complete the 7.1 setup (I wanted to get 2 more Monitor 70's, but I'm having trouble tracking down 2 at a reasonable price).

I was leaning toward the Sony STR-DN1030 A/V Receiver since I can grab one now for $400. I've seen the Pioneer SC-1222-K and a Denon 3312 go for $550, so I'm starting to second guess my Sony choice. Would it be worth it for me to spend the extra $150 for the Pioneer, Denon or something else? I'll mostly be using my setup for watching television, watching movies, and playing video games. I'm not too concerned with wireless abilities since I have cat 6 ethernet lines running to my setup, although I'm not opposed to having things like Airplay and Pandora built in.

I appreciate any help or insight I can get. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 04:09 PM

Liked: 19
Wow, that Sony did surprisingly well in the power output test.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/sony-str-dn1030-av-receiver

Only things I can think of is the room correction, I don't know what Sony uses, probably their own special one.

The Sony also only has a 96khz/24-bit DAC vs the 192khz/24bit on the SC-1222 or other models.

It also doesn't say what video chip they use, so I don't know about that.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. Yeah Sony uses Sony's Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (DCAC) auto setup system. While I'm sure there's better ones, I've used Sony's auto calibration in older receivers so I'm not too worried about it.

I took a closer look at pictures of it and it looks like they use Faroudja for video processing.

The 96khz/24-bit DAC has me worried. I don't know enough about DAC, so I'm going to have to research more to see if I can justify spending more for 192khz/24bit. Thanks again for the info.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Regardless of which receiver you choose, I strongly suggest you don't run 7 speakers off of it. Max you should run is 5, you won't have nearly the power for 7 unless you add a separate amp for your fronts and or center.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I figured I wouldn't have enough power to run all 7 without an amp. I think I'm going to give the Sony a shot.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by variat79 View Post

Yeah I figured I wouldn't have enough power to run all 7 without an amp. I think I'm going to give the Sony a shot.

I've never heard anything good about a sony receiver. I have a denon 3312ci and it is excellent.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Just curious, what kind of receiver would I need in order to run all 7 of my speakers without an amp? Would the denon do the job or would I have to get something better?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just curious, what kind of receiver would I need in order to run all 7 of my speakers without an amp? Would the denon do the job or would I have to get something better?

No receiver can really. I mean any 7 ch receiver CAN but only at low volumes (like -15 max). The sony doesn't have pre-outs, so you can't hook a separate amp up to it, but for the denon, or any receiver with pre-outs, you could just hook up any 2 ch. receiver/amplifier to the front pre-outs and power the other 5 speakers off the receiver, or a 3-channel to the fronts and center and power the sides and rears off the receiver.

Honestly the sony and denon aren't even comparable really. The sony has a 240W power source, where as the denon has 630W I believe.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah you're right. I also didn't like that the Sony had 96khz/24-bit DAC. I guess my real decision is if I should go with the denon 3312 or the pioneer 1222. Both are the same price, but I wouldn't have to pay tax on the pioneer. Also, the spec sheet I'm looking at says the Pioneer is ipad compatible, but only has the Denon listed with ipod and iphone. Pioneer also has Marvell Qdeo processing, not sure how that compares to the Denon. At a glance, the Denon looks more powerful.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah you're right. I also didn't like that the Sony had 96khz/24-bit DAC. I guess my real decision is if I should go with the denon 3312 or the pioneer 1222. Both are the same price, but I wouldn't have to pay tax on the pioneer. Also, the spec sheet I'm looking at says the Pioneer is ipad compatible, but only has the Denon listed with ipod and iphone. Pioneer also has Marvell Qdeo processing, not sure how that compares to the Denon. At a glance, the Denon looks more powerful.

the denon has 2 hdmi outs too so you could hook it up to a tv in another room. Not sure if it's a mistake or something, but on the back of the pioneer it only says its 290W, whereas the denon's consumption is 670W. I don't see why the denon wouldn't work with an iPad. They probably have the same video processing chips.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:

There's not enough difference in power to be noticeable. In fact the Pioneer would likely have an advantage with more than 2 channels driven. The D3 amps maintain more of their rated output in multi-channel modes. Plus it's 4 ohm certified. Denon only claims 6 ohm. It will also run much cooler than the Denon.

It should come down to whether you want to be locked into whatever Audessy comes up with for room correction/EQ or want the flexibility and customization that MCACC offers, minus the sub EQ of the Denon. MCACC does work down to 63 hz so you do get some LF adjustment.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Old 01-30-2013, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

There's not enough difference in power to be noticeable. In fact the Pioneer would likely have an advantage with more than 2 channels driven. The D3 amps maintain more of their rated output in multi-channel modes. Plus it's 4 ohm certified. Denon only claims 6 ohm. It will also run much cooler than the Denon.

It should come down to whether you want to be locked into whatever Audessy comes up with for room correction/EQ or want the flexibility and customization that MCACC offers, minus the sub EQ of the Denon. MCACC does work down to 63 hz so you do get some LF adjustment.

do you happen to know why the pioneer says it only uses 290W on the back panel of it? compared to the denon that says 670w? couldn't even find a high res pic of the pioneer...

and you're right about the denon being hot. mine doesn't have a lot of ventilation room and there's glass above it, so I put this fan http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-TurboForce-Circulator-Blade-Black/dp/B001R1RXUG on the ground behind it blowing air over top of it and through it, it keeps it super cool now. but before I had the fan it was hot to touch.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:52 AM

Class D3 Amp is more efficient.

Check out the review here. (Same as 1222)

http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-61-av-receiver
Old 01-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post

Class D3 Amp is more efficient.

Check out the review here. (Same as 1222)

http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-61-av-receiver

for some reason hometheater.com hasnt worked for me the past couple days.

Even if they're more efficient, if it's consumption is only 290W doesn't that mean it's max power output is also 290W, as you can't output more power than you draw. Or is it just like an average power consumption rating.

Tags
Sony Strdn1030 Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver