post #1 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Player: PS3
Receiver: 1970s Pioneer SA - 730 Amp
Connections: Optical Digital converted to rca R/W analog
Speakers: I'm using two more than capable Bose bookshelf speakers; I'm using a basic 2.0 system without any subwoofer.

I know my amp is extremely old but it's what I have so I'm stuck with it. Anyway, since it doesn't support either HDMI or optical digital, I purchased a converter to convert digital to analog so the receiver can understand it. I set the PS3 to Linear PCM and watched the Dark Knight which has Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and it was really really great. Then I went to watch the Dark Knight Rises which has HD DTS Master Audio 5.1 and the low bass ends are crackly. I don't really understand the problem here... help, anyone?
Also, even after setting it to Linear PCM, when watching the movie, it displays at the top DTS MA 5.1. Why would it do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 05:49 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Could have been an issue with that particular disc although bookshelf speakers often are not capable of playing low bass frequencies very well. If you prefer watching movies over music listening, suggest adding a capable sub to your setup. The DTS MA 5.1 was likely displayed as that was the audio track selected on the BD regardless of the fact that only a 2CH stereo track was actually played from it.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I am aware that the speakers arnt really meant for movie watching but the thing that confused me was the fact that Dolby TrueHD 5.1 played the low bass ends with no problem with the same setup... that was through bitstream and not Linear PCM though...
post #4 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 06:04 PM
585-645-1006

It didn't play DD True HD as only PCM 2.0 or regular lossy DD/DTS 5.1 can pass over optical cable. Although the DD True HD track may have been "selected" the PS3 detected that an optical cable was connected (rather than HDMI) and therefore played the core DD track and not the HD track.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #5 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

But why wouldn't it also do that for DTS MA? I'm sorry I'm new to all this so sorry if I sound stupid for the moment...
Something I forgot to mention: I played TDKR using DD 2.0 instead of the master DTS and the sound was pretty bad. The low bass did at though...
post #6 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 PM
585-645-1006

I would suggest trying a few more DTS MA BDs to confirm simply not a disc issue.

post #7 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks Ill try that in the next few days. Schedule is really busy with exams so Ill try and fit it in soon. Thanks for your help so far anyway!
post #8 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so I tried Harry Potter 7 part 1 with DTS-HD MA and there wasn't any crackling, however, there also wasn't any deep base sound or heavy explosions. Next I tried Inception with DTS - HD MA and again I didn't notice any crackling but I wasn't playing the entire movies because I don't have the time. I was just playing areas with lots of noise and action etc. Then I tried The Amazing Spiderman with DTS -HD MA and noticed some crackling with the explosions. It was definitly crackling and not just the noise of the explosion. So basically what happened was low base and explosions are crackly and normal dialogue with light base and light explosions are perfect in sound. What does this mean?
I'm also converting this to linear PCM through my ps3 to an old reciever using a digital to abolish converter (optical digital to stereo rca).
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page