Did Audyssey Make my New Onkyo Receiver Noisy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-30-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Got an Onkyo HT-R591 receiver yesterday as part of the HT-s5500 HTiB. Seemed pretty quiet when I first powered it up. I even wondered if it was on. Sounded OK.

This morning I ran Audyssey 2EQ set up with the mic and all of the sudden ... Noise. When there is no source coming in the system is quite noisy at about 50%. Start turning off Audyssey engaged features (Audyssey, Dynamic EQ, Dynamic volume) and this helps a little, but still have noise.

So does Audyssey introduce that much noise thru the set up changes it makes or is this just a product of a budget amp that i did not notice at first? I am thinking of hitting the Factory Reset. I really did not like what Audyssey did to the settings and setup I had already made.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-30-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM1862 View Post

Got an Onkyo HT-R591 receiver yesterday as part of the HT-s5500 HTiB. Seemed pretty quiet when I first powered it up. I even wondered if it was on. Sounded OK.

This morning I ran Audyssey 2EQ set up with the mic and all of the sudden ... Noise. When there is no source coming in the system is quite noisy at about 50%. Start turning off Audyssey engaged features (Audyssey, Dynamic EQ, Dynamic volume) and this helps a little, but still have noise.

So does Audyssey introduce that much noise thru the set up changes it makes or is this just a product of a budget amp that i did not notice at first? I am thinking of hitting the Factory Reset. I really did not like what Audyssey did to the settings and setup I had already made.

Thanks

Hi MrM,

Care to expand on what you exactly mean by "noise"? Is it hum? 60 Hz mains frequency maybe due to a ground loop issue in your system, or is it hiss (ssshh, like when the wind blows) or other?

Cheers, Feri

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 01-30-2013, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Hi MrM,

Care to expand on what you exactly mean by "noise"? Is it hum? 60 Hz mains frequency maybe due to a ground loop issue in your system, or is it hiss (ssshh, like when the wind blows) or other?
The noise is strong in the sub but is also in the mains too. Does not seem to be a ground loop. But it is being introduced by something Audyssey's 2EQ room set up is doing.

I did a factory reset this afternoon, first listening to the noise before and then after. The system went back to being very quite at the same levels (50-80%) after the reset. I then ran the 2EQ again BUT did not let the calibration turn on Audyssey, Dynamic EQ or Volume enhancements opting to turn them on manually later. The system stayed quiet and the speakers type, distance, levels and crossovers were set. Then I went and turned on Audyssey and the other Dynamic enhancements that were turn on before in the auto process ... and the noise returned getting louder with each addition.

The noise is a buzz and does not sound like a ground loop. I guess the easiest way to check for that would be to temporarily eliminate the ground (this has worked in live sound setups before in a pinch).

So I guess what I am wondering and trying to decide / figure out: is this a by-product of a budget amp and Audyssey is just "magnifying" the problem (at higher volume levels) OR is this something that Audyssey is doing OR is this a problem with this amp? Trying to decide if I need to return this amp as it is only a few days old.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-30-2013, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Hi MrM,

Ooops ... double post.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-03-2013, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

It seems to be when Audyssey has been use and more of the Audyssey EQs and filters are used. Also get worse depending on the selected listening mode. AND if I switch modes and go back to the noisy one it is better for a while. Some listening modes do not have it ... Some do.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-05-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Found it. seems my hum/buzz has turned out to be florescent lights in the next room and possibly a ground loop. My Onkyo is now living up to expectations and all is right in my world. Plan to run a new circuit from the box and check and if necessary redo the ground for the whole house.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-06-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

So Hum and system noise can be tricky. After more cable, electrical and wiring checks it seems the real culprit was my Coax Cable. The reason I did not hear it the first day I powered up the HT-s5500 was because I had not yet attached my Satellite/Dish coax to my TV. The next day after everything was hooked up I heard the dreaded Hum. I was blaming Audyssey because that was the only thing I had done out of the ordinary in setting up a system (connecting coax is SOP).

But After much testing and cable swapping and temporary ground bypasses, I discovered my noise was coming in thru my Sat Dish Coax cable.

I have an HP Monster 800g (which is different than the Monster MP Home Theater 800g - the HP is less money and Higher Joule rating but is labeled for computer and not Home Theater). This HP 800g has coax protection in / out and Monster Level 1 Noise Filtration. Once I ran my coax thru the HP Monster 800g power center ... problem solved. I tested the Sat reception via Dish Networks Point dish feature in the Dish Set up menu before and after passing the coax thru the HP Monster 800g and saw little to no degrading in the Satellite reception.

I am still going to inspect my house for multiply whole-house ground points and centralize if I discover any AND I will still run a dedicated circuit to the entire Home Theater system wall. But this alone has pretty much gotten rid of my hum

Two great sites that really helped me track it all down:

Audioholics Eliminating System Hum and Buzz

And the Hum FAQ Thread at the AVS Forum.

Hopes this helps anyone else.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page