Help please: Receiver advice needed - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which receiver should I buy?
Denon AVR-1513 0 0%
Denon AVR-1312 1 50.00%
Harman Kardon AVR-700 0 0%
Harman Kardon AVR-1700 0 0%
Pioneer VSK-1022 1 50.00%
Sony STR-DH520 0 0%
Yamaha RX-V373 0 0%
Other (please specifiy in thread) 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Matt_TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm looking for an entry level receiver to replace my Denon 1609 that recently developed a bad microprocessor.

I have done a lot of research in this forum and also on other site, but the more I read the more confused I get. I'm looking to spend about $200. Less would be better, a little more is OK if there is real justification for doing so.

The system will be located in the master bedroom. I have a nicer AV setup downstairs in the living room, so this isn't my primary system. The main use for the receiver is to watch TV (AT&T Uverse). It will also be used with Apple TV to play songs from iTunes, Podcasts, and the occasional movie. I will also use the Tuner periodically. A nice to have feature would be the ability to connect an iPod/iPhone directly to play songs. This will make it easier for my wife to listen to her podcasts. Networking/Airplay is not a requirement as I have Apple TV, and there is no ethernet connection in the room.

I plan to use the receiver in a 2.1 or 3.1 setup. I have five speakers but put two in storage as my wife doesn't like the size/bulkiness of them. I'll save them for our next home, when I may use them in a 5.1 setup again. Here is the equipment I have:

4x Polk Audio Monitor 60 Tower Speakers (only using 2, other 2 in storage)
1x Polk Audio CSi3 Center Channel Speaker
1x Polk Audio PSW-10 Subwoofer

So far I have considered the following receivers, but I'm very confused.

- Pioneer VSK-1022
- Denon AVR-1513
- Denon AVR-1312
- Sony STR-DH520
- Harman Kardon AVR-700
- Harman Kardon AVR-1700
- Yamaha RX-V373

Please let me know your thoughts on which one would be best for my needs. Alternatively, feel free to suggest an alternate/better option. Ideally I would like to find something under $200.

Thanks,
Matt_TX
Matt_TX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Senior Member
 
GaryWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_TX View Post

Hi,

I'm looking for an entry level receiver to replace my Denon 1609 that recently developed a bad microprocessor.

I have done a lot of research in this forum and also on other site, but the more I read the more confused I get. I'm looking to spend about $200. Less would be better, a little more is OK if there is real justification for doing so.

The system will be located in the master bedroom. I have a nicer AV setup downstairs in the living room, so this isn't my primary system. The main use for the receiver is to watch TV (AT&T Uverse). It will also be used with Apple TV to play songs from iTunes, Podcasts, and the occasional movie. I will also use the Tuner periodically. A nice to have feature would be the ability to connect an iPod/iPhone directly to play songs. This will make it easier for my wife to listen to her podcasts. Networking/Airplay is not a requirement as I have Apple TV, and there is no ethernet connection in the room.

I plan to use the receiver in a 2.1 or 3.1 setup. I have five speakers but put two in storage as my wife doesn't like the size/bulkiness of them. I'll save them for our next home, when I may use them in a 5.1 setup again. Here is the equipment I have:

4x Polk Audio Monitor 60 Tower Speakers (only using 2, other 2 in storage)
1x Polk Audio CSi3 Center Channel Speaker
1x Polk Audio PSW-10 Subwoofer

So far I have considered the following receivers, but I'm very confused.

- Pioneer VSK-1022
- Denon AVR-1513
- Denon AVR-1312
- Sony STR-DH520
- Harman Kardon AVR-700
- Harman Kardon AVR-1700
- Yamaha RX-V373

Please let me know your thoughts on which one would be best for my needs. Alternatively, feel free to suggest an alternate/better option. Ideally I would like to find something under $200.

Thanks,
Matt_TX

Either the 1700 or the V373. Don't even think about the other ones.
GaryWA is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Matt_TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post

Either the 1700 or the V373. Don't even think about the other ones.

Thanks... Could you provide some background on why?

Hope you don't think I'm being lazy, I genuinely have done hours of research on this, but there seem to be pluses and minuses of each, so I'm very confused.
Matt_TX is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Senior Member
 
indio22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicagoland area
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post

Either the 1700 or the V373. Don't even think about the other ones.

I would also like to know why the 1700? For some reason that receiver has gotten a lot of love lately, even though I could only find one semi-tech review on it. Given the type of amplification, I expected to find more hard tech data from reviews on it by now. Maybe the love was partly due to the recent $199 sale price? Not convinced that price is quite the deal some think it to be. Seems like some people were basing the deal value partly in comparison to the MSRP and inflating regular pricing. Instead, a deal should be based in comparison to sale prices that can be achieved on other receivers.
indio22 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Matt_TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 View Post

I would also like to know why the 1700? For some reason that receiver has gotten a lot of love lately, even though I could only find one semi-tech review on it. Given the type of amplification, I expected to find more hard tech data from reviews on it by now. Maybe the love was partly due to the recent $199 sale price? Not convinced that price is quite the deal some think it to be. Seems like some people were basing the deal value partly in comparison to the MSRP and inflating regular pricing. Instead, a deal should be based in comparison to sale prices that can be achieved on other receivers.

I agree completely... I think there is a lot of perceived value because of the HK name (anyone with a BMW, Mercedes or other luxury car has heard of them) and the $199 price. People like the idea of getting a $499 receiver for $199.

Hopefully more people will chime in shortly to give some feedback. I'm stlll no further forward with my decision frown.gif
Matt_TX is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 02-01-2013, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Matt_TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this thread 2 days ago, and haven't received much response. Can someone please help me as I would like to make a purchase this weekend.

Thanks...
Matt_TX is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Member
 
Kaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in a similar position as you - looking to start a 3.1 system that I will expand to 5.1 later and trying to navigate the AVRs in this price range. (Will mainly use for Blu-rays and music both streaming and local). I dont have a ton of time to go demo stuff, so I have been trying to rely on this board to help my decision-making. It seems to me that the Pioneers were once great, but no longer provide the sound quality they used to. People seem to have a love/hate relationship with Dennons. I have not really looked at the HK because I cant find the $200 price in my area (though maybe i could look harder) though owner seemed pleased with it. Sony is sony and probably makse a good product, but like apple i am sick of their proprietary everything so I was not looking at this one. So, I was honing in on the Yamaha as it seemed to offer the most combination of price/quality/sound quality. The biggest drawback seems to be that it does not have Audysssey? Not having owned a receiver I cant tell how big of a deal that will be, and maybe someone on these boards can answer that. So - for what its worth that is what someone in a similar position as you is thinking but hopefully someone who has more experience, etc can help us both
Kaplan is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 02-01-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Matt_TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaplan View Post

I am in a similar position as you - looking to start a 3.1 system that I will expand to 5.1 later and trying to navigate the AVRs in this price range. (Will mainly use for Blu-rays and music both streaming and local). I dont have a ton of time to go demo stuff, so I have been trying to rely on this board to help my decision-making. It seems to me that the Pioneers were once great, but no longer provide the sound quality they used to. People seem to have a love/hate relationship with Dennons. I have not really looked at the HK because I cant find the $200 price in my area (though maybe i could look harder) though owner seemed pleased with it. Sony is sony and probably makse a good product, but like apple i am sick of their proprietary everything so I was not looking at this one. So, I was honing in on the Yamaha as it seemed to offer the most combination of price/quality/sound quality. The biggest drawback seems to be that it does not have Audysssey? Not having owned a receiver I cant tell how big of a deal that will be, and maybe someone on these boards can answer that. So - for what its worth that is what someone in a similar position as you is thinking but hopefully someone who has more experience, etc can help us both

Thanks for the reply. I would probably get the Denon 1612 from Accessories4Less.com if I were sure it would fit in my AV cabinet. I'm trying to determine if it is any bigger than my old 1609.
Matt_TX is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off