Intermittent video at 1080P but seems fine at 1080i - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-30-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As I set up my new gear I noticed I'm having some trouble getting a reliable picture with a 1080P signal. hoping someone reading this can point me to some suggestions on different setting I can try or some solution I'm not thinking of.

The specific problem I am seeing is that I am occasionally losing the picture when watching a Blu Ray disc from my Panasonic BDT220 or Sony PS3. both sources are hooked up to a Denon AVR-2313CI which passes on to an Epson Powerlite 5010 via HDMI (approx 25' run from Receiver to projector). The picture usually starts out fine but after a few minutes of watching, the video will go black for anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or so but the audio is fine.

I've occasionally seen a brief flash of static projected on the screen for a few seconds but only a couple times while the other scenario (complete black screen) seems much more common.

I have not noticed this issue happen at all when I am watching Dish Network via the Hopper PVR which is using a 1080i signal as far as I can tell.

Here's a list of things I've tried:
- confirmed all hdmi cables are securely attached (didnt solve problem)
- replaced the hdmi cables running from source to AVR and AVR to projector (didnt solve problem)
- configured the video output on both Panasonic Blue Ray player and Denon AVR to "Auto" and "1080P" (neither setting seemed to solve problem)
- reset memory on Denon AVR-2313CI to force a factory refresh of all settings (didnt solve problem)
- confirmed I have the latest firmware upgrade on both Blue Ray player and Denon (didnt solve problem)
- even replaced the Epson projector due to a separate issue I had with a stuck pixel (didnt solve problem)

I haven't tried using different HDMI inputs on the Denon but since I am having this issue when using either the Pansonic Blu Ray player or PS3, this seems like it shouldn't be the issue.

The only thing that seems to help me avoid the loss of picture is to set the video output of both the Panasonic BDT220 and Denon AVR2313 to 1080i or 720. Seems I shouldn't have to do this though, right? Is there something else going on that would prevent them system from running reliably at full 1080p??

Here's my set up:

Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu Ray -> Denon AVR-2313CI -> Epson Powerlite 5010
Sony PS3 -> Denon AVR-2313CI -> Epson Powerlite 5010
Dish Hopper PVR -> Denon AVR-2313CI -> Epson Powerlite 5010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-30-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Your symptoms are indicative of physical transport problems. Either the receiver outputs are not capable of a strong enough signal to traverse a 25' cable or your supply of cables are bad.

Can you temporarily move the equipment closer to the projector so you can use shorter cables? Another issue can be cables that are too short. HDMI spec also takes into consideration signal strength loss due to cable lengths so too short a cable (<3') may also introduce problems in rare occasions. Also, do you have any HDMI couplings/wall plates? They may be bad also. try plugging the source device directly to the projector with both the 25' cable and the shorter cable any difference? Lastly, it could just be an incompatibility between your receiver and the projector. That's the least likely scenario though.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-30-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

Your symptoms are indicative of physical transport problems. Either the receiver outputs are not capable of a strong enough signal to traverse a 25' cable or your supply of cables are bad.

Can you temporarily move the equipment closer to the projector so you can use shorter cables? Another issue can be cables that are too short. HDMI spec also takes into consideration signal strength loss due to cable lengths so too short a cable (<3') may also introduce problems in rare occasions. Also, do you have any HDMI couplings/wall plates? They may be bad also. try plugging the source device directly to the projector with both the 25' cable and the shorter cable any difference? Lastly, it could just be an incompatibility between your receiver and the projector. That's the least likely scenario though.

Thanks for the leads. To your question regarding wall plates and couplings, my initial setup did have 2 wall plates which added 2 cables and 4 connections to the equation. Thinking this might be an issue and to rule out a bad cable, I ran a different/new 25' hdmi cable (monoprice product ID 3990) directly from output of receiver to input of projector and can still recreate the problem. I'll have to think about possible ways to test with a shorter cable to see if that's the issue. I'm hoping it's not since cables have already been buried in the walls.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page