Basic AV Receiver help!! Marantz NR1603 and LG HT806ph Speakers... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-30-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm very new to the home cinema scene and have a question which I would really appreciate some help with.

I've currently got an old LG HT806PH home cinema system which I run all of the audio through (including blu ray player etc). It sounds good and I'm quite impressed with the speakers - although LG aren't really a reputable brand.

I'm thinking of buying the Marantz NR1603 as an AV receiver and was wondering if it would be OK to use the same LG speakers until I can afford to purchase some new ones. The air play feature on the receiver and home networking abilities are the real plus.

My concern has arisen now that I've looked at the LG package again and they state on the website that the speakers have a total power output of 850watts! The Marantz Nr1603 is 50watt per speaker.

Does that mean that it won't work properly or will be really quiet? Will I damage the AV Receiver by trying to make it power speakers that are too powerful?

Any help would be really appreciated!

All the best

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-30-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the link for the LG System...

http://www.lg.com/uk/home-entertainment/lg-HT806PH-home-cinema-system
post #3 of 5 Old 01-30-2013, 03:06 PM

Liked: 19
That 850W number is a joke, designed to make sheeple think they're getting more for their money.

That is a slim line receiver and is $650.. You should just get a full sized receiver.

Also, you generally want your speakers to cost 2-3x as much as the receiver. So you might want to think about how much you want to spend on speakers before you spend $650 on a receiver.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-30-2013, 05:40 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 1495
As is the case with most HTIB setups, they are generally only designed to work with the receiver that comes with the HTIB as the speakers are often very low impedance (ie. not designed to be powered by most lower level AVRs like the 1603). The power output on the LG is so high because the speakers are 3-ohm speakers which the 1603 is not designed to power, rather 6-16ohm speakers. Although the 1603 could likely power them at average TV listening volume (ie no loud movie listening), as suggested above, you would be much better served selling this setup and putting the money into a better speaker setup now. Determine your total budget available and put 1/3 into the AVR and 2/3 into the speakers/sub.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 5 Old 01-31-2013, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

The intention is to build up the speakers to get a decent set. For the $600 I can't really get a set of speakers and AV receiver (intending on building up the Monitor Audio BX range of speakers).

It sounds like the LG speakers will be quiet on the Marantz. The reason I'm going for the slim-line receiver is to save space and it matches my Marantz CD6004 and PM 6004.

Really appreciate the help!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1603 Slim Line Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page