tried some av's have a few questions... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-30-2013, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i'll start by saying i had a pioneer vsx-1021k hooked up for last year or so, i recently replaced it with sony's str-dn1030. Running 5 speakers : 2 jbl 180s, the center 120, and 2 bookshelf 130s. Monster speak cables (got wire for free i know its overpriced) with banana plugs. In the beginning I was pleased with the pioneer but recently airplay just has not worked no matter how i've tried to fix it, the verizon fios box outputs a popping sound often times if its on before the receiver comes on which is very frustrating, and if the receiver gets cranked up to around -6db it shuts down... by numbers the speakers should be more than sufficient to handle the pioneers power and then some. I replaced with the Sony receiver and it sounds great and should have more power (by their stats as well as benchmarks i've compared) but honestly with the sony cranked it doesnt seem to be as loud... and this receiver again has autoshutoff.. albeit only once but its only been a few days..... i'm more than likely going to add 2 jbl 190s in the coming week and move the 180s to my surrounds... will this improve the overall max volume or will this just cause more stress on receiver? Is the easiest fix adding a powered subwoofer? or is there another midrange receiver you recommend with similar features that has bigtime power?

also, on a side note...should streaming from sources like airplay or pandora through my television cause higher levels of distortion at high volumes? once in a while i hear a song that sounds bad on the speakers at high volume.. get nervous that the speakers are damaged and then i find a better audio source and it sounds perfectly fine? (no matter what source it is... at some 50% volume everything sounds great

thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-31-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

anyone?
post #3 of 4 Old 01-31-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdawgs22 View Post

i'll start by saying i had a pioneer vsx-1021k hooked up for last year or so, i recently replaced it with sony's str-dn1030. Running 5 speakers : 2 jbl 180s, the center 120, and 2 bookshelf 130s.

If the receiver gets cranked up to around -6db it shuts down... by numbers the speakers should be more than sufficient to handle the Pioneer's power and then some. I replaced with the Sony receiver and it sounds great and should have more power (by their stats as well as benchmarks i've compared) but honestly with the sony cranked it doesnt seem to be as loud... and this receiver again has autoshutoff.. albeit only once but its only been a few days....

First off the dB marks on the AVR's volume control are arbitrary unless your system has been calibrated so it is not possible to correlate -6 dB with much of anything. It does sound like you prefer loud listening.

Secondly, AVRs mostly only shut down if they are running too hot or if there is a short in the speaker wiring. Since you seem to be having the same problem with two different AVRs either condition could apply.

A third possibility is that your energetic usage of these speakers has cooked one or both of the tiny 6 inch woofer's voice coils and that is the source of the short.

Please check your wiring and be on the look out for a stray strand of wire that is almost invisibly shorting two wires together either directly or through a metal connector mounting plate.

If you are using these speakers fairly intensely, you should really invest in a good subwoofer. I recommend spending at least as much as you spent for your front speakers. A good starting point (a bit light but the price is right) might be the Polk PSW 505.

When you get your JBL 190s, I'd suggest that as an experiment you use them to replace the 180s as the 180s are my candidates for being the mostly likely to be damaged by "cooking".

I think that I would have preferred that you had invested in Infinity Primus 363s which are similar speakers probably made in the same factory but with twice as many woofers.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-12-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B000092TT0

is this a killer deal?

also, hooked up the 190's and got a diff receiver to test... havent tried my old pioneer... the sony dn1030 sounded great and was very loud... the denon 2113 i picked up sounded amazing and was not as loud but quite loud...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page