Multi Zone Video and Audio,power amp assignable, DLNA capable receiver for under $3000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have looked at the Onkyo 3010 and the Denon 4520ci receivers which both seem to be good, but looking for other suggestions, and also reviews between both of these receivers from those who have owned either. The setup is as follows:

1. Room where the receiver will be house is pre-wired for in wall- in ceiling speakers, and will only be 5.1
2. 2 other zones are wired for in ceiling speakers, outside, and the master bedroom. Both of these I believe are only 2 channel setups if I remember correctly.
3. Most of the house is wired with Cat6 with only 1 rj45 outlet in each location.

4. Looking to play media directly over the network (from a nas) via DLNA to the receiver and tv in the den and the tv in the bedroom.

I am looking for something that is highly compatible with almost every single internet service, product, etc out there.

5. Since most of these high end amps have 11.2 or 9.2 chanels I would like somethign where I can assign amps to various channels since the Den will only be 5.1.

6. An HDMI cable was not run from the den to the bedroom, so is there another way to be able to play streaming video via the tv in the bedroom using the 2 channel in ceiling speakers instead of the built in speakers on the tv?

Any ideas of what I need to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I think the denon 3313ci will do everything you want.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

The main difference between that and the 4520ci receiver just being the number of channels and watts?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrogant View Post

The main difference between that and the 4520ci receiver just being the number of channels and watts?

number of channels, power(barely), 4520 has multeq xt32 whereas 3313ci has multeq xt (xt32 basically just adds sub eq, which could be done externally for 100 bucks with a minidsp), 4 zone outputs instead of 3, 32-bit dacs instead of 24, 3 processors instead of 1, (i dont even know if you can tell the difference between a 24 bit and 32 bit dac). 15 lbs h eavier

It is better in quite a few ways than the 3313ci, but for about 1400 bucks more, it's not worth it unless you have like $20,000 in speakers imo.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:31 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
The audio quality from the 4520CI using MultEQ XT32 should be a very noticeable improvement over just XT in the 3313CI as it has 32x more speaker filter control points and 4x more sub control points. Additionally, Sub EQ HT mentioned in the post above simply enables the 4520CI to EQ dual subwoofers. Given the budget you are comfortable with, I would definitely suggest going with the 4520CI over the 3313CI. Give AVS Sales a "call" and you should very pleased with the price. smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

AVS Sales? What is that? Where is it? I get this feeling I should know te answer to those questions already. Both of you seem to be high on the Denon? Is there a general preference for the Denon over the Onkyo? $3000 was an estimate, and obviously would like to be as cheap as possible. Again, because all speakers are going to be in wall or in ceiling, they will not be the best quality so maybe all the bells and whistles do not matter? Does the brand make a difference for controlling the entire system via ipad? This is also being installed in the very eastern end of long island, any recomendations for shops out there?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The audio quality from the 4520CI using MultEQ XT32 should be a very noticeable improvement over just XT in the 3313CI as it has 32x more speaker filter control points and 4x more sub control points. Additionally, Sub EQ HT mentioned in the post above simply enables the 4520CI to EQ dual subwoofers. Given the budget you are comfortable with, I would definitely suggest going with the 4520CI over the 3313CI. Give AVS Sales a "call" and you should very pleased with the price. smile.gif

he's doing 5.1 in-wall speakers, i don't think he needs the extra sound quality.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

AVS Sales? What is that? Where is it? I get this feeling I should know te answer to those questions already. Both of you seem to be high on the Denon? Is there a general preference for the Denon over the Onkyo? $3000 was an estimate, and obviously would like to be as cheap as possible. Again, because all speakers are going to be in wall or in ceiling, they will not be the best quality so maybe all the bells and whistles do not matter? Does the brand make a difference for controlling the entire system via ipad? This is also being installed in the very eastern end of long island, any recomendations for shops out there?

i just don't like onkyo :P i think he's talking about this http://www.avsforum.com/avscience
Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

In wall speakers obviously come in different quality levels. The general rule of thumb is to spend about 2-3x on the speakers as you do the AVR. So if your in wall speakers only cost you a total of $1000, then yes, the 4520CI is overkill. AVS Sales is the sales side of this forum ...

www.avscience.com

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 01-31-2013, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

In wall speakers obviously come in different quality levels. The general rule of thumb is to spend about 2-3x on the speakers as you do the AVR. So if your in wall speakers only cost you a total of $1000, then yes, the 4520CI is overkill. AVS Sales is the sales side of this forum ...

www.avscience.com

agreed. i just assumed since he didn't specify which ones he had, that he didn't buy high end ones, i might be wrong.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:28 PM
585-645-1006

Right. When someone comes into the forum with a budget of $3000, I never make such assumptions. wink.gif

Old 01-31-2013, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 65
quick question...

I'm not seeing AV Sales on the Denon website as an authorized seller? Am I missing something?

Very close to pulling a trigger , on something... just wondering about warranty issues.
Joseph

It's for 'wall hung dude', and no, I don't need any help to 'hook-up'.... sheesh ... dirty minds around these parts....
Old 01-31-2013, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post

quick question...

I'm not seeing AV Sales on the Denon website as an authorized seller? Am I missing something?

Very close to pulling a trigger , on something... just wondering about warranty issues.
Joseph

ya it is http://usa.denon.com/us/wheretobuy/pages/dealerlisting.aspx

it's under "AV Science"
Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 65
tyvm. I see it now. I had been looking only at their list of 'online sellers'... I never saw that option to search. My AVR died last Saturday... been laboring over options since...

It's for 'wall hung dude', and no, I don't need any help to 'hook-up'.... sheesh ... dirty minds around these parts....
Old 02-01-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, speakers will be coming next, but receivers are more fun to look at. smile.gif Has anyone here attempted to do what I am trying to do, and basically watch all their media via. DLAN being streamed from a NAS with no media center computer or anything like that? Is there something else I am not thinking of? Truthfully being able to get media all around the house with relative ease is more important to me than the quality of said media, which is why I want to make sure I have the best receiver for dealing with internet connectivity / streaming media.