HDMI with analog multi-channel inputs? - AVS Forum
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > HDMI with analog multi-channel inputs?
gdgates's Avatar gdgates 02:02 PM 01-31-2013
I'm (finally) looking to upgrade my AVR to HDMI switching, due to a recent Samsung plasma purchase. However, I'd also like to find one with analog multi-channel inputs, as my SACD player predates HDMI. Nothing new under $2k seems to have both, so I've been looking at the used market. The Denon 4803CI seems to have a great combination of power and inputs, but I'm not sure if the firmware update is recent enough to bring it up to speed. Does anybody happen to know what version of HDMI that unit sports? Does it support 1080p pass-through? I'm also looking at the Denon 3808ci.

Also, if anybody has a lead on a current AVR that might provide what I'm looking for, please let me know.

Peace.

GaryWA's Avatar GaryWA 02:23 PM 01-31-2013
Any of the Marantz's will, and you can find them on Accessories4less.
Ross Ridge's Avatar Ross Ridge 03:22 PM 01-31-2013
The Yahama RX-A1020 is around $1000 and has a multichannel input, but the Sony BDP-S590 BluRay player for $150 and can play SACDs.
gdgates's Avatar gdgates 04:01 PM 01-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post

Any of the Marantz's will, and you can find them on Accessories4less.

I haven't thought of Marantz in years, although I guess I did hear somewhere they and Denon are now the same company. The refurbished 7005 is going for $900. I have never gone that route - any advice? Also, 29 lbs. seems kind of lightweight for a full-featured AVR, at least compared to the Denons I've owned over the years.
BGLeduc's Avatar BGLeduc 04:44 PM 01-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgates View Post

I'm (finally) looking to upgrade my AVR to HDMI switching, due to a recent Samsung plasma purchase. However, I'd also like to find one with analog multi-channel inputs, as my SACD player predates HDMI. Nothing new under $2k seems to have both, so I've been looking at the used market. The Denon 4803CI seems to have a great combination of power and inputs, but I'm not sure if the firmware update is recent enough to bring it up to speed. Does anybody happen to know what version of HDMI that unit sports? Does it support 1080p pass-through? I'm also looking at the Denon 3808ci.

Also, if anybody has a lead on a current AVR that might provide what I'm looking for, please let me know.

Peace.

I have the 3808, which does have the analog inputs you seek.

As for HDMI, AFAIK, I can not pass through whatever HDMI version is required for 3D Video, in the event that you are interested in 3D video. Not sure about 1080P, but I think it will pass that through.

And you may already know this, or maybe it does not matter to you, but the 3808 does not allow Audyssey, BM, TA or any other processing on the multi-channel Analog Inputs.

Brian
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 06:38 PM 01-31-2013
The current Denon flagship model AVR 4520CI has both as well as the most advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (the 3808CI only uses MultEQ XT) and can be had for just under your budget if you "call" AVS Sales. Important to note however, that the Audyssey auto EQ program is disabled with multi analog inputs which is why most with more current SACD players that have both HDMI and multi analog outputs (eg. Oppo), prefer to use HDMI.
gdgates's Avatar gdgates 06:13 AM 02-01-2013
Hmmm.... the mention of the Sony Blu-Ray prompted me to go investigate my model more closely. And lo and behold, that sucker plays SACD as well. It was one of the few HT purchases that was a gift, therefore I didn't research it to within an inch of its life (and my sanity) before making a purchase.

So it looks like analog multi-channel is off my list. Anybody wanna buy a Denon DVD/SACD player? smile.gif

Although I have to admit, that Marantz SR7005 is still looking pretty sexy.
Up
Mobile  Desktop