Power Conditioner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-31-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello,

I'm not sure where to post this but this seems to be the most relevant place.

I'm wondering if my system would benefit from getting a power conditioner. It's not a very high end setup and I do have a nice quality surge protector already so I'm not worried about surges.

Here is my setup:

TV: Sony 55HX850
A/V Rec: Pioneer SC-61 Elite
Speakers: ML Motion 4's and 8 with SpeakerCraft Aim7two's in rear
Sub: Dynamo 700 but I'm using wireless so this is located elsewhere. I'm thinking I better at least throw a generic surge protector on this guy.
Video: PS3/Cable Box

I know it's nice to have a power conditioner but I don't care to waste money on it if there isn't a real difference either visually or audibly. I believe my picture is clear and I don't hear any weird pops or hums in my speakers. My house/neighborhood is only about 7 years old.

If most of you claim that you did notice a difference, I will make the move and order the Panamax M4300-PM.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-31-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleJuice View Post

Hello,

I'm not sure where to post this but this seems to be the most relevant place.

I'm wondering if my system would benefit from getting a power conditioner. It's not a very high end setup and I do have a nice quality surge protector already so I'm not worried about surges.

Here is my setup:

TV: Sony 55HX850
A/V Rec: Pioneer SC-61 Elite
Speakers: ML Motion 4's and 8 with SpeakerCraft Aim7two's in rear
Sub: Dynamo 700 but I'm using wireless so this is located elsewhere. I'm thinking I better at least throw a generic surge protector on this guy.
Video: PS3/Cable Box

I know it's nice to have a power conditioner but I don't care to waste money on it if there isn't a real difference either visually or audibly. I believe my picture is clear and I don't hear any weird pops or hums in my speakers. My house/neighborhood is only about 7 years old.

If most of you claim that you did notice a difference, I will make the move and order the Panamax M4300-PM.

Power conditioners are almost always fluff pieces. Save your money!

The only surge protectors that you can count on are the whole-house kind, and they are only recommended if you have serious problems with appliances getting fried by surges. The most likely kind of damaging surge is probably one due to a near hit by lightening, which is primarily a problem in rural areas and suburban areas where the houses are built on multi-acre lots.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-31-2013, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
You can buy Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) that have auto voltage regulation (AVR) built in. Look for something that will buck (cut down voltage if it gets too high) AND boost (bring voltage up if it gets too low). I have one for all my networking equipment. It provides surge protection as well, not quite sure how good but its there.

I would imagine getting a whole house surge suppressor and then a UPS with AVR for your more sensitive (and expensive) stuff might be the best idea. if possible, also look for one that outputs a pure sine wave. Square wave is cheaper but can possibly be damaging to electronics (not sure its been proven, and if it has it might not be an issue until well past the expected life of the device anyway)
post #4 of 5 Old 01-31-2013, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Isolation transformers are the way to go IMO for your needs - reduce powerline noise, provide a common grounding point & rebonding of neutral and ground close to point of use, provides additional source of energy stored in the magnetic field for instantaneous current demands. Most studios have iso transformers in them.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-31-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Thanks for the feedback folks. I'm going to pass on this device for the time being as I don't see any real need for it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page