AVR upgrade opinions, please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-31-2013, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, I am looking to upgrade my AVR from my current Onkyo 605. I've come across a refurbished Denon 3311 on accessories4less for what seems like a great price ($580 w/1yr warranty). I'm mostly looking for a well made AVR with good room calibration (wish I could afford one with XT32), preouts for adding an amp at some point, and good power. I believe I need more power because my front L&R towers are listed as 8ohm, but tested as 4. I am also considering a new Onkyo 809 ($650) or a refurb Marantz 6005 ($600). My equipment is below (5.1 setup), please let me know your thoughts or recommendations. Thanks for your time.

Pioneer Elite 1150HD Plasma (768p, not 1080p)
Directv HR22 HD DVR
Pioneer BDP320 (will prob upgrade BDP to Sony 790 or Oppo 103 soon)
Infinity Primus 362 front towers
Infinity Primus 350 center
Infinity primus 250 rear towers
Velodyne DPS10 sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
well, I can't recommend AC4... very unpleasant experience myself... and I may be one small voice out of many, many happy customers... but my experience with them was anything but .
and they'll not get a dime from me ever again.

Doesn't matter how low the price if the quality isn't there. The hassle factor in returning a defective refurbished unit ( if you happen to be the unlucky type), and dealing with delays for returned units/ purchases being credited to your account (they'll hold on to your $$, even if they send you 2 bricks, for at least 6-8 weeks), and you'll be on the hook for the original shipping charges regardless. Read their fine print. Then read it again before you order from them.

this is IMO, YMMV, and IFYDLIYCKMA,

Joseph

...what a long, strange trip its been.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Options have changed. Looking at a Pioneer SC1222K or a Onkyo TXNR809. Both about the same price. Features are pretty close. I know it is extremely subjective, but I am looking for more of a warm sound. Any opinions between these two?
post #4 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue1 View Post

Options have changed. Looking at a Pioneer SC1222K or a Onkyo TXNR809. Both about the same price. Features are pretty close. I know it is extremely subjective, but I am looking for more of a warm sound. Any opinions between these two?
Only that I prefer Onkyo over Pioneer.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #5 of 10 Old 02-08-2013, 06:43 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:

Onkyo is fine if you live in a cold state, you can use it at the same time for listening to music and to heat the whole room since the class AB amplifier requires a lot of power even when the volume is low. Another annoying issue with the Onkyo is that they take forever to change the HDMI input, not mentioning that the reliability of these receivers is not the best out there. If you finally decide to buy the Onkyo, get the warranty too. Forget the Denon/Marantz option, their distortion levels are not on par.

Anyway my opinion is biased, I am a happy owner of an SC-1222K.

Good luck with your decision.

If this post has been useful to you please Thumb it Up!

·· AV System
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222K
Spkrs: homemade monitors + Energy Take Classic 5.1
Display: Samsung UN55ES8000
Src: Comcast DVR / Apple TV 3 / Xbox360 slim / HTPC / AirPlay / Pandora / Bluetooth*

*Pre-processor: Noozxoide EIZO-rewire PRO
post #6 of 10 Old 02-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Only that I prefer Onkyo over Pioneer.

I prefer Pioneer Sc1222 much much more than Onkyo 809. To "goblue1"; you said you want warm; then get the Pioneer. Onkyo is more harsh (bright tweeters)... Pioneer is like something in bewteeen neutral/warm

Amps on 1222 is much better than 809. D3 amps are really awesome. I owned Onkyo 706, Marantz SR6003, Denon 3311, and Yamaha A1000; and the Pioneer SC-1222 sweeps away all the others. Lesser models from Pioneer can't compete with this SC-1222. in terms of build quality; SQ, etc. Although the 1122 is a nice contender vs Onkyo 515 and below; Denon 1613 and below and Yamaha 473 and below.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by okibcn View Post

Quote:

Onkyo is fine if you live in a cold state, you can use it at the same time for listening to music and to heat the whole room since the class AB amplifier requires a lot of power even when the volume is low. Another annoying issue with the Onkyo is that they take forever to change the HDMI input, not mentioning that the reliability of these receivers is not the best out there. If you finally decide to buy the Onkyo, get the warranty too. Forget the Denon/Marantz option, their distortion levels are not on par.

Anyway my opinion is biased, I am a happy owner of an SC-1222K.

Good luck with your decision.
This is not indicative of my onkyo experience. I have an 808 and its nit a space heater nor dies it take an eternity to change inputs, in fact it is very responsive.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #8 of 10 Old 02-08-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 823
To be honest I don't care for Onkyo or Pioneer but he was asking which of the 2. If the price is nearly the same I would get Yamaha and then Denon.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #9 of 10 Old 02-10-2013, 07:05 PM

Liked: 12
The PIO has the new D3 amps and has the same internals as the Elite SC-61 which is Wayyyyyy better than that old 809. Its better than the 819. Heck there are those that say the Elite 68 is better than the 3010 and the only difference is the 15wpc between the SC-68 and SC-1222 and you can't find the 68 under $1,500. Those D3 amps are made for 4ohm as they drive all channels w/o dropping off like A/B's drop off.. These amps are the best new amps out there at this price point bar none... These amps are better than the B/O amps the Elite used to use. These are the most modern and powerful amps out there hands down and this amp is a total sleeper. It is the early 70's Chevy Malibu not the SS yet it still has the 454 engine but just crank windows vs power and no race stripe and hub caps vs rims but every bit as fast and powerful and on the lift looking up you can't tell the difference.. There is no contest between these amps. If you want to top this amp with a Yammy you will need to be north of a $1,000 just to compete and more to out pace it. Denon you will spend sooooo much more and that old Denon you mentioned is not going to come close with 4ohm performance. Not even close... You need to go much higher up the food chain to compete with the SC-1222-k. A pure sleeper and at about $500 from newegg you can't touch it for that money with anything especially older leftover units. Grab the Pio and don't look back and you will thank yourself for it...
post #10 of 10 Old 02-13-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

I went with the sc1222k. Thanks for the input.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page