Struggling with AV Receiver Issues and Choices - Denon and Onkyo - Please Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently replaced an Denon AVR-1912 receiver with an Onkyo TX-8050 and am looking for advice. The AVR-1912 was malfunctioning and Denon had replaced it with 3 refub units before refunding my money. All 3 units had a different issue.

My problem is - I liked the sound of the Denon much better.

I was thinking about going to buy a new Denon (hoping they would work vs the refurb) however I'm a bit stuck due to a few things.

1) The AVR-1912 allowed me under 2 inches of space above the receiver. There is at least 4 inches on each side and 3 inches in the back but I'm not sure I have enough space to provide the receiver a long and happy life. one of the receivers ended up with a red flashing light (which may be an overheatin warning, however this sometimes happened within a few minutes of turning it on. I'm not sure that the heat of the unit was an actual issue. The 1913 is the same height.

2) I was considering the AVR-1713 however I'm not sure if the 5.9 inches (vs the 6.4 inches of the 1913) would give me enough spacer. I'm also not sure that it would give me the same quality as the 1913.

The Denon sounded much more natural to me. I thought the 8050 would be a better pick because it was an actual stereo receiver vs. a 5.1 or 7.1 running just 2 channels. I think I was wrong.

Is there an AV expert out there that can provide some insight?

I sincerely appreciate any help and time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Audyssey room correction software is just as important for the quality of the sound in stereo systems as it is for multichannel audio. The Denon receivers you mention have it, but the Onkyo stereo receiver does not.

The equipment does need to be kept cool. Lack of room for passive convection cooling often can be compensated for by providing fans to blow cool air in and/or suck hot air out.

The 1713 actually has a higher grade of Audyssey than the 1912 and 1913. so it should sound somewhat better. (The 1900s have other features to justify their higher prices)

As an alternative, if you can afford them, you might want to consider the Marantz NR series of receivers. They're not as tall as most receivers, although they also don't have as much power. For a stereo system, though, they should be fine.

FWIW, a blinking power light after a shutdown often means that there's a short in the speaker cables, e.g. a fine strand of wire intermittently contacting an adjacent binding post. Given how often you've been swapping receivers, it's easy to overlook something like that.

I hope these comments help a little.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 02-01-2013, 05:12 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 1752
Ideally you want at least 3-4" clearance above the AVR for proper ventilation otherwise with less you'll want to consider using at least one or two PC fans to exhaust the warm air from above the AVR. Also note that the frequency of flashes will determine the shut down issue: every 1/2 second means a loose speaker wire touching another post or running 4-ohm speakers to loud, or amp failure, while a slower rate at every 2 seconds means a ventilation issue.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times.