Question about bi-amping and the Denon 4520ci - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-01-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I searched and could not find an answer. But, I'm wondering if, with the 4520, I can bi-amp my FR, center, and FL speakers and still be able to have 7.1 surround sound? The new Denon has 11.2 after all. Also, will this benefit me in terms of sound at all?

Also, if I'm breaking through the walls to install in-wall wiring, is it recommended to put a set of regular speaker wires as well as bi-amp wires just in case for future technology or if I decide for better speakers?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-01-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 323
"Passive bi-amping" (where you send the same signals to both sets of speaker drivers and use the speakers' internal crossover networks to separate the sounds) provides no advantages whatsoever with modern solid-state amps. "Active bi-amping" with electronic crossovers optimized for the different speakers on the different channels can produce some improvement. Few people have the knowledge or patience to do the latter, though.

Nonetheless, always pull more wires than you think you'll need. It's usually a royal pain to do it later.
Also, you should be using the same kinds of (standard) speaker cabling for everything. There's nothing really special about any of the special bi-amp cables except that their makers have found special ways to persuade you to give them more of your money.

If possible, you should consider installing conduit and pull cables through it. Conduits would be a lot more convenient later, especially if you found that the cables you pulled were defective.

Selden
post #3 of 3 Old 02-01-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

"Passive bi-amping" (where you send the same signals to both sets of speaker drivers and use the speakers' internal crossover networks to separate the sounds) provides no advantages whatsoever with modern solid-state amps. "Active bi-amping" with electronic crossovers optimized for the different speakers on the different channels can produce some improvement. Few people have the knowledge or patience to do the latter, though.

Nonetheless, always pull more wires than you think you'll need. It's usually a royal pain to do it later.
Also, you should be using the same kinds of (standard) speaker cabling for everything. There's nothing really special about any of the special bi-amp cables except that their makers have found special ways to persuade you to give them more of your money.

If possible, you should consider installing conduit and pull cables through it. Conduits would be a lot more convenient later, especially if you found that the cables you pulled were defective.

IMHO, no need to sweat on "bi-amping". Just hook up your system, one pair of speaker wire to each speaker and call it a day. Speaker wires typically do not go wrong. wink.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page