Audyessy pro mic vs MultEQ XT mic - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-01-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have any experience comparing the AVR supplied standard XT mic with the "calibrated" pro mic.? My interest is if there is really much difference, particulalry with freq below 100 HZ ( subwoofer territory ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-01-2013, 05:41 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 1521
All Audyssey mics are "calibrated" for use with their respective AVRs/pre-pros. The AVR/pre-pro mics have an error rate of +/-2db while the Pro kit mic error rate is +/-0.5db noting that it is calibrated for use with the Audyssey Pro Kit ($700). You may want to refer to the dedicated Audyssey Pro Kit Users thread for more detailed info, although most owners generally find about a 10-15% improvement in audio fidelity after using the Pro Kit (although the vast majority of owners that post in that thread use it with XT32 not with XT models). Due to the expense of the Kit, you are generally much better served upgrading from an XT model to an XT32 model before buying the Pro Kit as the use of XT32 will far outpace the benefit of the Pro Kit + XT.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 9 Old 02-01-2013, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much. My Pre-Pro has a limitation that does not allow Auydessy Pro to work with sources over 96 khz. My dealer is working this anamoly but basically I just wonder if just using the AVR supplied mic will be good enough as when I use it and the AVR's built in MultiEQ XT all works fine at 96 khz. Weird problem that nobody seems to understand including Audyessy and the manufacturer of the AVR. Other than the pro mic improvement I have no other reason to use the pro setup. I simply don't want to waste a lot of good peoples time if the mic results won't be that different.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-01-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

I should add that XT 32 is a coming mod to my AVR so I am told.

Thanks again
post #5 of 9 Old 02-02-2013, 04:06 AM
585-645-1006

The 96Khz limitation you are discussing is related to the version of Audyssey in use and not the mic. On Audyssey MultEQ XT and lower Audyssey versions, the limitation is 96Khz as you have learned while with XT32 there is such limitation using the same mic as used with the XT model. So when your pre/pro gets the upgrade to XT32 you should be good to go likely using the same mic you're using now (unless it's 5-6 years or older and in that case the mic would likely be upgraded to a more current model but the same mic used with every other version of Audyssey). smile.gif

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #6 of 9 Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. It helped a lot. I will wait for XT 32. One thing that I still think is strange is that using the internal Multi EQ xt all is fine with 96 khz material but not with using a PC for the pro implementation. The AVR has the same number of filters so It seems weird that the AVR can't deal with the Pro input as dictated by the PC calculations-must be processor power.
Thanks again.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 04:13 PM
585-645-1006

Either I'm not understanding what you're trying to get across or you're not understanding me. The Audyssey Pro Kit using a PC and Pro mic uses whatever version of Audyssey is featured on the AVR/pre-pro, in your case MultEQ XT. Audyssey MultEQ XT is limited to only 96Khz. So if you use the Audyssey Pro Kit on an AVR/pre-pro that features MultEQ XT it will still not be able to handle > 96Khz audio, rather you must use the Pro Kit on a XT 32 model.

"JD" –

post #8 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, let me try to explain. I have a NAD T785 AVR about 5 yrs old that has Multieq xt. I had a pro setup done by my dealer 4 years ago and all was fine. So last year I asked NAD directly what cards I needed to have 96 KHZ Audyessy processing plus the advanced codecs like DTS MA. My dealer installed the VM100 and Am200 cards and upgraded the software. Multi eq xt setup was fine including at 96 KHZ. When my dealer tried to run the pro setup the subwoofer is not operative with sources above 88.2 khz. So If I want to listen to 96 khz sources I turn Audyessy off and then the sub works properly but no Audyessy eq is applied. I repeat- when I run the simple EQ XT built into the receiver all is fine at 96 khz. No one at Audyessy or NAD can figure this out. That is why I inquired about the differences in the standard mic vs the pro mic as if there wasn't much difference then I would forget about using pro and just use run the standard setup again. And also why I wondered about coming XT32 software.

Thanks
post #9 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 12:28 PM
585-645-1006

Ah .. makes sense now ... and agreed .... sounds like a limitation with that particular model with the upgrade installed. Got it. Thanks. And yes, hopefully resolved with the upgrade to XT32. smile.gif

"JD" –

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page