Marantz SR-5001 + Emotiva XPA or Upgrade to 2011-12 Receiver now and add Emotiva XPA later - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Keep Marantz SR-5001 and add Emotiva XPA, or upgrade to a recent model receiver now and add Emotiva
Keep Marantz SR-5001 and add Emotiva XPA-2/XPA-3 1 100.00%
Upgrade to a 2011-12 year model receiver now and add an Emotiva XPA amp later 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I currently have a 6-year old Marantz SR-5001 powering a modest 2 channel setup (Selah Audio SA-1 monitors). I will be adding a sub soon. I have been toying with ideas of upgrading my receiver to bring it up to speed, and have gone through a Denon 3313 (that didn't work out for non-qualitative reasons), and am now trying a Marantz SR-5007.

I have not been totally satisfied with the sound out of the new Marantz after Audyssey setup. I had a lingering feeling that the older SR-5001 sounded better - more open than the SR-5007. The primary reason for upgrading the receiver was to gain more HDMI inputs, room correction, and networking features. I also have an Apple TV, and a PS3 so, many of the networking features on the receiver are available elsewhere in a non-elegant manner. Now I discovered that the receiver is only recommended for 6-8 ohm speakers, and lower impedance loads while not recommended, may provide moderate performance.

This had me wondering if I could/should repurpose the same $$$ to buying an Emotiva XPA-2/XPA-3 and use the Marantz as a pre-pro, with a HDMI switch to add the required inputs. If I ever buy better speakers down the road, I don't want to limit my choice by having to rule out < 6 Ohm speakers, or anyway have to upgrade the receiver anyway at that point. But going this way, I would be missing out on Audyssey room correction functionality.

confused.gif What would be your preferred way of tackling this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-01-2013, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

I currently have a 6-year old Marantz SR-5001 powering a modest 2 channel setup (Selah Audio SA-1 monitors). I will be adding a sub soon. I have been toying with ideas of upgrading my receiver to bring it up to speed, and have gone through a Denon 3313 (that didn't work out for non-qualitative reasons), and am now trying a Marantz SR-5007.

I have not been totally satisfied with the sound out of the new Marantz after Audyssey setup. I had a lingering feeling that the older SR-5001 sounded better - more open than the SR-5007. The primary reason for upgrading the receiver was to gain more HDMI inputs, room correction, and networking features. I also have an Apple TV, and a PS3 so, many of the networking features on the receiver are available elsewhere in a non-elegant manner. Now I discovered that the receiver is only recommended for 6-8 ohm speakers, and lower impedance loads while not recommended, may provide moderate performance.

This had me wondering if I could/should repurpose the same $$$ to buying an Emotiva XPA-2/XPA-3 and use the Marantz as a pre-pro, with a HDMI switch to add the required inputs. If I ever buy better speakers down the road, I don't want to limit my choice by having to rule out < 6 Ohm speakers, or anyway have to upgrade the receiver anyway at that point. But going this way, I would be missing out on Audyssey room correction functionality.

confused.gif What would be your preferred way of tackling this?

I'd go for a receiver with Audyssey and add an amp later. I'm running a Marantz 7005 and it sounds as good as any receiver I've owned in the past. I've owned a bunch. You have to get Audyssey set up correctly for the best sound. If you're only going to use it for 2.1 I'd stick with what you have and add the sub first and an amp later if you feel you need it.

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history: https://skydrive.live.c...
post #3 of 3 Old 02-02-2013, 02:47 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 1327
The first thing to do would be to determine if you truly do not prefer Audyssey or you simply haven't done the setup as effectively as possible. Please review the Audyssey 101/FAQ Guide linked in my sig to learn more about Audyssey and how to set it up properly. Also, many coming from an older model receivers note the bass isn't as powerful (due to bloated bass from their older receiver) and that the AVR isn't as loud at a given master volume setting as their old receiver. Audyssey sets the "reference" volume to 80/0db which is more than 3/4 of maximum due to using a logarithmic scale whereas older receivers used a linear scaled and may have only needed to be set to at most 1/4 of maximum for the same volume.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page