Issue: Streaming Pandora from Vizio TV (HDMI 1 input) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I stream Pandora from my Vizio TV (HDMI 1 input) the sound mutes. I've been doing this successfully for a couple of years but now I have to manually toggle to another input (Say HDMI 3) and back to get the sound to stream. Has anyone else run into this issue? Have you found a solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpapasan View Post

When I stream Pandora from my Vizio TV (HDMI 1 input) the sound mutes. I've been doing this successfully for a couple of years but now I have to manually toggle to another input (Say HDMI 3) and back to get the sound to stream. Has anyone else run into this issue? Have you found a solution?

What type of HCMI cable are you using...what speed is the cable rated at?

Espo77
post #3 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, for the suggestion, Espo77.

The cable is high speed. I changed it out with a shorter cable (premium high speed HDMI) just to be sure. The same problem persists regardless of the cable.

Interestingly, the moment the HDMI was unplugged from the receiver, Pandora started playing. I'm realizing Ieft out important details. I have three Energy speakers (L,R and Center) hooked up to the Pioneer VSX-1019AH receiver.

So when you stream Pandora from the TV (technically provided by DirecTV) it mutes. The apparent work-around are to temporarily switch inputs on the receiver (in my case from HDMI 1 to HDMI 3 and then back to HDMI 1) or as I just discovered, you can also temporarily unplug the HDMI connection.

Obviously neither is satisfactory since it worked in the past just providing as much detail as I can so more technical minds than mine can spot the issue.

Thanks again!
post #4 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, for the suggestion, Espo77.

The cable is high speed. I changed it out with a shorter cable (premium high speed HDMI) just to be sure. The same problem persists regardless of the cable.

Interestingly, the moment the HDMI was unplugged from the receiver, Pandora started playing. I'm realizing Ieft out important details. I have three Energy speakers (L,R and Center) hooked up to the Pioneer VSX-1019AH receiver.

So when you stream Pandora from the TV (technically provided by DirecTV) it mutes. The apparent work-around are to temporarily switch inputs on the receiver (in my case from HDMI 1 to HDMI 3 and then back to HDMI 1) or as I just discovered, you can also temporarily unplug the HDMI connection.

Obviously neither is satisfactory since it worked in the past just providing as much detail as I can so more technical minds than mine can spot the issue.

Thanks again!

Is your HDMI cable version 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4a...and honestly, I don't know if this would matter anyway.

If you have a Directv set top box, why not go from the box out to the receiver for audio? Why are you going out of the TV to the receiver...unless your TV has the Pandora App., and you like the TV's app better then the Directv one. I like my Samsung's TV Pandora app better then Directv's...but I use both, not because the sound is any different, but because the on screen menu's are different.

Espo77
post #5 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know about the cables. The packaging is long gone and I didn't see any visual cues on the cables themselves.

The input is from DirecTV (that's the Pandora I use). The receiver gets input (video and audio from the DirecTV box) and the sound goes through speaker wires to the three speakers and the visuals go to the TV via HDMI.

I may try switching the HDMI from the DirecTV box to the Receiver the short "high quality" cable I mentioned previously. That may help.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Found one of the HDMI cable boxes. The "high quality cable" is 600hz and rated for 3D HD. Didn't see any of the designations you listed. Switching it out between the DirectTv box and receiver doesn't help.

Does it stand to reason that the receiver is the issue since Pandora plays when I unplug the cable between the receiver and the TV. That seems to be at the heart of things.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Found one of the HDMI cable boxes. The "high quality cable" is 600hz and rated for 3D HD. Didn't see any of the designations you listed. Switching it out between the DirectTv box and receiver doesn't help.

Does it stand to reason that the receiver is the issue since Pandora plays when I unplug the cable between the receiver and the TV. That seems to be at the heart of things.

Humm...I gotta think about this dilemma.

Espo77
post #8 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 01:33 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

Is your HDMI cable version 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4a...and honestly, I don't know if this would matter anyway.

For audio from the TV the version won't matter.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 01:35 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Turn off the HDMI-CEC feature on the Vizio.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #10 of 12 Old 02-03-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

For audio from the TV the version won't matter.

The OP says that he is getting Pandora from his Directv set top box.

Espo77
post #11 of 12 Old 02-03-2013, 08:22 AM
585-645-1006

RIght .. I was answering your question, not the Ops, but to take it a bit further . .. for audio from either the TV or the cable/DTV box, the HDMI version will not matter.

post #12 of 12 Old 02-03-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Hi jpapasan, sound like a HDMI handshake issue. Maybe a work around is connect a digital optical cable from Directv box to receiver (thats if the box allow both HDMI and optical audio out at the same time).
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page