Onkyo HDMI Failures - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #271 of 289 Old 02-07-2016, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 240
I know this is an old thread, but I had a 2 905s/ 906/ 5007 and all suffered from HDMI failures. The culprit is known, the caps on the board were not thermally capable of handling the heat generated from the HDMI chips...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 289 Old 02-10-2016, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Old thread? people are still having problems..

My Onkyo TX-NR717 is sitting here packaged ready to be picked up by UPS and shipped to Onkyo in Germany for the HDMI failure thingy.

I've had it for 4 weeks... then suddenly, no more audio.. the speaker icons wouldn't light up.
Found the hair dryer method, that revived it, but I thought screw this, probably only gets worse.

Now my question is what do they do over a Onkyo?
do they change out the board?
is it really the caps or was there something as well with the chips?

If you get it back is it okay like that? or should I still install some kind of cooling system like a fan, or heatsinks on the chips??
post #273 of 289 Old 02-12-2016, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You had video but no audio? What is the hair dryer method?

I have an 876 that I just repaired and replaced the caps and it is back in service.

I don't know what Onkyo repair centers do, if I had to guess, I would say the center orders a new board and do a swap. Then the new board will most likely contain the same caps. Probably not what we all want to hear but that's just my opinion of what happens.
post #274 of 289 Old 02-12-2016, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhava Saha View Post
Old thread? people are still having problems..

My Onkyo TX-NR717 is sitting here packaged ready to be picked up by UPS and shipped to Onkyo in Germany for the HDMI failure thingy.

I've had it for 4 weeks... then suddenly, no more audio.. the speaker icons wouldn't light up.
Found the hair dryer method, that revived it, but I thought screw this, probably only gets worse.

Now my question is what do they do over a Onkyo?
do they change out the board?
is it really the caps or was there something as well with the chips?

If you get it back is it okay like that? or should I still install some kind of cooling system like a fan, or heatsinks on the chips??
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapson View Post
You had video but no audio? What is the hair dryer method?

I have an 876 that I just repaired and replaced the caps and it is back in service.

I don't know what Onkyo repair centers do, if I had to guess, I would say the center orders a new board and do a swap. Then the new board will most likely contain the same caps. Probably not what we all want to hear but that's just my opinion of what happens.

You guys are talking about two different problems. The NR version receivers (network) are the models that are covered by Onkyo's extended warranty. The HDMI failures in those models is caused by a bad chip that TI supplied for the HDMI board. When the repairs are done, a new HDMI board (with a revised chip) is installed. It has nothing to do with the caps.

The older SR models (non-network) HDMI problems were due to bad caps and heat. If you replaced the caps with versions that were speced properly for the heat, then you won't have the issue again. If you just replace the HDMI board with a standard OEM board that has the original under speced caps, then yes, it will fail again.
post #275 of 289 Old 02-12-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
You guys are talking about two different problems.
Thanks for the breakdown on the two different failures.
post #276 of 289 Old 02-13-2016, 06:18 AM

Ah, indeed thanks for clearing that up.
So I'm good once it's back from Onkyo.

Well I found a video on youtube with someone heating up the hdmi card with a hair dryer and the Onkyo would turn on and play sound again.
I tried it, and it worked, suddenly the icons of the speakers would reappear and the sound would work.

Anyway I'm glad it's at Onkyo and hopefully it will be back soon.
I'm now running a Kenwood KA-5090r into the Dynaudios, just the mains, and damn that certainly doesn't cut it if I compare it with the Onkyo.
post #277 of 289 Old 02-13-2016, 06:47 AM

Ok, now I understand, in your situation, the solder joints loosened ever so slightly and heating it up reconnected the joints. It sounds similar to what I've done in the past with a computer graphics card. I put the graphics card in the oven and heated it up for a duration of time to have the solder reflow. Look it up to see if it will work for those who can't get Onkyo to repair/replace. Only issue I see if if there are plastic connectors on the card.
post #278 of 289 Old 02-19-2016, 12:03 AM

Just got word from Onkyo, amp is repaired and goes to UPS today, so I'll probably have it back on monday.
This isn't bad at all, I had to miss it for one week.
and even best of all, I bought the Onkyo 717 in an outlet store for 299 euro's
post #279 of 289 Old 03-09-2016, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm considering picking up a used sc5508 processor, then I stumbled across this HDMI board problem. Sc5508s are still under the extended warranty, but I wondering if the problem has actually been addressed? Are Sc5508s that have had the hdmi boards replaced really fixed or are they probably going to fail again?

Thanks!
post #280 of 289 Old 03-16-2016, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Well, I think I just joined the club. TX-SR707 - came home yesterday and no sound. Powered off the unit completely, then it worked for the rest of the evening. Came home tonight, no sound from any of the HDMI sources. The "MS Windows 101" trick of powering down did not do anything. Wondering if it is worth trying to get it repaired, or just upgrade.

If I do want to try the repair route, how does one contact Onkyo? I skimmed their site but all I saw was a support forum that looked pretty dead.

Thanks!
post #281 of 289 Old 03-16-2016, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMichigan View Post
If I do want to try the repair route, how does one contact Onkyo? I skimmed their site but all I saw was a support forum that looked pretty dead.
The information you need is in this thread...

Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR636 (5.2.2)
Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6
SVS: TBD x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85
post #282 of 289 Old 03-16-2016, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
The information you need is in this thread...

Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018

That doesn't apply to his model. His is a SR (non-network) receiver. Onkyo's extended coverage that you linked to is for network (NR) receivers. The reason for the extended coverage is due to a defective network chip that TI provided.
post #283 of 289 Old 03-17-2016, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
That doesn't apply to his model. His is a SR (non-network) receiver. Onkyo's extended coverage that you linked to is for network (NR) receivers. The reason for the extended coverage is due to a defective network chip that TI provided.
Appreciate the clarification...my apologies to all for the oversight.

Last edited by gene4ht; 03-17-2016 at 07:49 AM. Reason: typo
post #284 of 289 Old 03-18-2016, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

I have an SR-706 purchased many years ago - 2008, if I recall correctly. I recently bought an Xbox One, and the receiver did not want to sync up the HDMI - I just kept getting a message saying there was nothing connected. I can get it working after multiple reboots of the Xbox and the receiver, but after reading this thread I'm wondering if it's not the reboots but just that screwing around with all that gives the receiver enough time to warm up.

Then the problems starting appearing on the other HDMI channels. My cable box, which has worked for years with this receiver without a glitch, is suddenly having problems with audio - the center channel goes out, the audio detection through HDMI picks the wrong audio type, etc. Also, sometimes now when I first switch to another HDMI source I get bars of noise that slowly crawl up the screen for maybe 10 seconds before the signal locks in.

I assume these are symptoms of impending failure of the HDMI board? If so, I think I'm going to retire this receiver and get a new one. I don't think it's worth sending out a receiver for repair that's 8 years old already.

Any suggestions for a replacement? Would the TX-NR656 be a replacement that would retain the same audio quality? It's significantly cheaper than the SR706 despite having many more features, but I'm hoping that this is just due to the march of technology and not a decrease in quality or sound. I don't care about THX certification, so long as the sound quality isn't impaired.

Any thoughts?
post #285 of 289 Old 03-19-2016, 10:21 AM

More people with woes..

I just got one tip, always power off the Onkyo when you are plugging HDMI cables..

My receiver has been working great with the repair,
I'm not using HDMI through the receiver at the moment, my mac is going straight to my screen and the onkyo is going to the second port of my screen.. I installed a bigger screen to watch a movie yesterday.. I unplugged my computer from the screen and hooked that up to the second screen, apparently this was enough to make the onkyo go haywire.. suddenly my remote wasn't working anymore, couldn't switch through the speaker sections (mono/stereo/all channel/pure audio etc..)
Had to reset the amp, then it started working again, of course then I had to do the setup all over again.
post #286 of 289 Old 03-19-2016, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanson View Post
I have an SR-706 purchased many years ago...Any suggestions for a replacement? Would the TX-NR656 be a replacement that would retain the same audio quality? It's significantly cheaper than the SR706 despite having many more features, but I'm hoping that this is just due to the march of technology and not a decrease in quality or sound. I don't care about THX certification, so long as the sound quality isn't impaired.

Any thoughts?
Depends what you mean by "audio" and "sound" quality...subjective or objective or both? Do you use and feel the "sound" quality you're describing is attributed to Audyssey? If so, as you're probably aware, Onkyo has replaced Audyssey with variations of AccuEQ. There are plenty of people on both sides of the Audyssey fence. Then there's the crisp, clear, powerful, dynamic sound that Onkyo owners are familiar with and generally attributed to Onkyo's historically beefier high current power supplies and amps. I can only speak to the 636 that I currently own in that it has the same sonic characteristics of my previous Onkyo AVRs (805 & 809). Hopefully, others with yours and more recent models can chime in and offer their experiences as well.

One other thought: AVS members in the Onkyo 800/900 threads are reporting their high satisfaction with these newer units. Additionally, the April 2016 edition of Sound & Vision rated the 900 as a Top Pick. No doubt, the 900 with its toroidal transformer delivers the sound qualities Onkyo is known for. It has an MSRP of $1599 but recent sales at Fry's of $847-$899 almost make it a "no brainer" for those who don't need greater than 7 channel capability. Good luck with your search!

Last edited by gene4ht; 03-19-2016 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typo
post #287 of 289 Old 03-21-2016, 01:02 AM

Well I bought my Onkyo cause I really the sound quality from the receiver I borrowed for a few months from a friend.
can't recall the number though, Older Onkyo with a gray band in the middle on the faceplate.
Certainly the amp was bigger (longer) and a lot heavier than my NR717
It packed a bit more punch in wattage and I'd say it probably sounded a little bit better than the one I have now.
Probably due to the fact that I didn't have to crank it up as high to achieve full bodied sound in my room.
But overall the sound quality is the same.
And I'm sure there was a nice price difference between the two models I'm talking about.

As for Auddysey, well I like the Dynamic EQ, love that it again delivers more full bodied sound at lower volumes and not too harsh at high levels..
Don't like the auddysey on though.. that messes up the sound big time.. since I use it for monitor and mixing purposes. My control room is treated and pretty decent. So I'm not sure if what it seems to be correcting is useful to me. And playback without Auddyssey on sounds way more natural in the high frequencies.
If I'm mixing I even put the dynamic eq off, as well I don't want any processing going on which changes my equalising and level decisions.

I don't know if I'd recommend the brand though, sure they are nice receiver packed with way too many options for a nice price.
They do deliver a nice sound, but the internet is filled with tales and complaints of all kinds of models failing or exhibiting problems. And sure like mine with the faulty chip thing.. well that can't be good for their reputation, but they indeed fixed it up nicely in record time so lots of kudos to them there.
So just make sure you search for a model with the least complaints or an already fixed up amp if you go for one of the problem models.

Yeah features/price wise they are probably hard to beat?
The sound is good and clear, certainly compared to other home system amps.. when my Onkyo was in for repair, I used a kenwood amp a 70's one and a late 90's one.. now the 70's one sounded fun, but both were incredibly muffled in the highs and muddy in the low mids compared to the Onkyo, so they are doing something right.

I used to run a Urei/JBL 6290 for the stereo, now that also gave me a lot of power and clear sound, but at 600w per channel into 4 ohm.. I could easily blow my speakers with that one.. I now use one channel of it to power my sub.
And the Onkyo is perfectly suited for my main speakers which gives me a safer feeling
post #288 of 289 Old 04-05-2016, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone had luck with Onkyo repairing a 906? Mine looks to have caught the failed board bug and I haven't been able to bring it back to life.

I haven't looked at the cap tactic yet, but figured I'd ask. I did enter my serial number on the Onkyo site and it told me it wasn't covered by the extended warranty.

Thanks!
X
post #289 of 289 Old 04-06-2016, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Repairing a bad board will set you back $200-$300 while replacing the board will set you back about $600. Not sure if it is worth it. The HDMI board is 1.3 and the Audyssey is an outdated version. If you tried repairing the board, Onkyo will likely refuse to repair the same board opting to replace the board. If that does not work, they will probably claim that something you did might have damaged the unit and you can look at higher costs...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Onkyo Tx Sr806 Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr608 Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page