Onkyo HDMI Failures - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 247 Old 01-03-2014, 12:54 PM
PCD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just thought I'd chime in....My 609 failed as well, but I have no doubt in my mind it was heat. I only gave it 2 or 3 inch's of space and it always ran extremely warm, but I didn't feel like purchasing another stand and tearing everything apart.....penny wise-pound foolish. The temperature when it was in standby is not even worth mentioning. I'm replacing the caps and checking the solder joints (HDMI).

I gave my 809 almost 6 inch's of space (above) and removed the rear panel from the stand, as much for ventilation as well as not stressing the HDMI connectors. It runs very cool and there is CERTAINLY no heat issues when its in standby for goodness sakes. Top of the receiver is stone cold to the touch.

Although I like Onkyo, I can understand how some folks have soured on them and I don't know if I would recommend them at this point, but I'll stick with them as I like the sound/price/feature set compared to other offerings out there.

Pete

Evil Sysadmin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 247 Old 01-05-2014, 06:39 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by asandova View Post

My Onkyo TX SR-608 HDMI board died. Is it repairable?

So what happened to it?
post #93 of 247 Old 01-08-2014, 09:19 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I have decided to send my 818 in for repair. I contacted the repair center, United Radio, which is where I had my defective Onkyo 5508 repaired last year, and will ship it to them tomorrow.

Regards,

Greetings,

United Radio has had my unit since 12/30/13 and advises that the HDMI board had to be ordered. They have give me an ETA of 01/20/14 on the board but can't of course be sure that it will in fact arrive then.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #94 of 247 Old 01-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Yeah, my Onkyo 809 went in for warranty repairs (think it's an HDMI board/card issue) back on December 3rd and they haven't even received the parts they needed to repair it yet, much less done the actual repairs. frown.gif

oz
post #95 of 247 Old 01-08-2014, 11:59 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

Yeah, my Onkyo 809 went in for warranty repairs (think it's an HDMI board/card issue) back on December 3rd and they haven't even received the parts they needed to repair it yet, much less done the actual repairs. frown.gif

Greetings,

Where did you send it for service oz..?

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #96 of 247 Old 01-08-2014, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Where did you send it for service oz..?

Mine went to ABL Electronic Service in Michigan.

oz
post #97 of 247 Old 01-10-2014, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
So I have been reading a lot of the AMP / AVR forums looking for any news of new stuff with hdmi 2.0

While poking around, I kept reading about the HDMI issues all these Onkyo's keep having. I thought to myself, thank god I have not had any issues with my 5007 yet.
mad.gif

As of yesterday for the first time, my receiver turned on but no picture or sound. After I power cycled it twice, everything went back to normal.
Today, turned it on and I could no control the volume at all. Power cycled it and everything went back to normal.

I assume these are signs of future problems? I just hope this avr lasts until all the new processors/avr's come out with hdmi 2.0 compliance so I can upgrade.
post #98 of 247 Old 01-10-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
The Onkyo 506 I bought new for the bedroom was sold to a nephew several years ago. He informed me that it no longer has functioning HDMI.

The refurbished Onkyo PR-SC885 I bought directly from Onkyo had HDMI board failure within 30 days. They shipped it back on their dime and sent me a new one. I promptly sold it.

The Integra DHC 40.1 I bought new had HDMI and the radio tuner board failure at 2 years 10 months - thank God it had a 3 year warranty. I had it fixed - only cost was shipping to Calif. I sold it shortly after getting it back. With RIHDactive in it for video HDMI bypass to function it ran warm in standby. I stuck a fan behind it and let it pull the hot air from the top after finding out how hot it ran. It had the usual clearances side to side and probably 6" for the top.

I bought an NR818 about a year ago - quickly came to my senses and sold it.

I've gone to Yamaha (RX-V3900) and I ain't lookin back! Onkyo has some of the best feature packed AVRs on the market for the price. That should tell you something about the quality of the parts used in them.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #99 of 247 Old 01-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post

While poking around, I kept reading about the HDMI issues all these Onkyo's keep having. I thought to myself, thank god I have not had any issues with my 5007 yet.
mad.gif

As of yesterday for the first time, my receiver turned on but no picture or sound. After I power cycled it twice, everything went back to normal.
Today, turned it on and I could no control the volume at all. Power cycled it and everything went back to normal.

I assume these are signs of future problems?

Yeah, I went through about a week of that with my 809, then resetting it finally stopped working as a temporary fix. It went in for warranty repairs on December 3rd, but they still have not repaired it and returned it to me.

oz
post #100 of 247 Old 01-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Yeah, I went through about a week of that with my 809, then resetting it finally stopped working as a temporary fix. It went in for warranty repairs on December 3rd, but they still have not repaired it and returned it to me.

Now I am worried. I know CEDIA isn't until September, but I really hope some new AVR's / PRE-PRO's come out before my unit dies. I am not sure if its worth the repair costs to fix it. Can't imagine its cheap as my 5007 is obviously out of warranty.

Plus, with these new TV's, would be nice to have a 2.0 compliant receiver.
post #101 of 247 Old 01-17-2014, 10:29 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Greetings,

United Radio has had my unit since 12/30/13 and advises that the HDMI board had to be ordered. They have give me an ETA of 01/20/14 on the board but can't of course be sure that it will in fact arrive then.

Regards,

Greetings,

I received a call from United Radio on Tuesday advising that the board had just come in. My unit should be shipped back to me early next week. Anyone thinking about sending their unit in for the HDMI board replacement should consider now a good time if the boards are in stock.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #102 of 247 Old 01-17-2014, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

My Onkyo 809 warranty repair part finally came in and ABL Electronic Services repaired and returned the receiver to me yesterday. It went in for repairs on Dec 3rd, and came back to me on Jan 16th. I've not yet had a chance to open it up and test it, though.

oz
post #103 of 247 Old 01-17-2014, 01:55 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

My Onkyo 809 warranty repair part finally came in and ABL Electronic Services repaired and returned the receiver to me yesterday. It went in for repairs on Dec 3rd, and came back to me on Jan 16th. I've not yet had a chance to open it up and test it, though.

Greetings,

Good luck oz. I am sure all will be fine... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #104 of 247 Old 02-04-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 148
So, I just bought a brand new Onkyo TX-SR313 from Fry's Electronics. They had it for super cheap. I just needed a cheapo receiver to use until hdmi 2.0 is commonplace in new receivers, and then I'll get one that has the hdmi 2.0 plugs on it.

So, last night, I tried setting up the receiver, and I can't get any video or sound from anything plugged into any of the HDMI ports. Mind you, this thing is BRAND NEW.

So, I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong, or if I need to immediately return this POS to the store.

Basically, I'm a wee bit confused as to how the whole setup works. When I first started out, I figured that I would just plug everything into it, and it would just work. When I didn't get any picture or sound from any of my HDMI devices, I figured that I must need to go into the setup menu and activate something. In the Setup menu there are 10 options:

1. HDMI Input
2. Component
3. Digital Audio
4. SP Config
5. Sp Distance
6. Level Cal
7. Audio Adjust
8. Source Setup
9. Hardware
10. HDMI Setup

Now, I was reading the manual, and on 1.) HDMI Input, it says to set whichever input to the one that you are using and to blank out any non used hdmi slots with a string of dots, indicating that this hdmi slot is not being used. Since I can't get any video at all, I decided to disconnect every single device except one, and just see if I can get one HDMI port working. So, I put the little string of dots on everything except ( BD/DVD ) , because that is the one hdmi slot that I'm using. (it's HDMI No.1) . I've tried both a blu ray player, and a OTA box that both have hdmi output, and I'm not getting any video or sound from either thing.

Ok, now there is also 10.) HDMI Setup. So I went to this, but I'm not really sure what settings I'm supposed to put in with this. My TV is a Samsung, so I'm not using the RHID thing. So, I have that turned off.

I don't know what the heck is wrong, because I just can't get any video or any sound, and it's not like I'm some goofball that doesn't know how to hook stuff up.

But, maybe I'm doing something wrong, or have something setup wrong, or maybe this puppy is just DOA. It just seems weird to buy something brand spanking new, and for it to not work at all.
post #105 of 247 Old 02-05-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Anybody have any suggestions regarding my previous post above ? Should I just return the thing ?

I looked for a thread specifically about the Onkyo TX-SR313, but can't really find a specific thread. There are tons of various Onkyo threads, but I'm not sure which one would be relative to the 313.
post #106 of 247 Old 02-11-2014, 06:34 AM

Liked: 10
If you jump over to the Onkyo support forums you'll find hundreds of people with dead HDMI boards. The magical point in time is 2 years plus or minus a few months. You can include me as a unhappy owner of a 509 with a dead HDMI board. The good news is that Onkyo is repairing the units free of charge. If you're lucky enough to live in a city with a repair facility you won't have to pony up shipping costs either. Regardless, this is a disaster for the Onkyo brand. Clearly the design flaw is systemic. If this were a car, a recall would be forthcoming.

INSERT INTO HT_01
(receiver, projector, speaker)
VALUES
(B&K, JVC, Polk Audio)
/
post #107 of 247 Old 02-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
I guess coming to an Onkyo HDMI Failures thread isn't the place for reassurance, but.....
Do you think a refurb HT-RC370 (basically same as 709) is a safe bet to have had the HDMI board issue resolved? Or would I just knowingly subject myself to HDMI misery?
post #108 of 247 Old 02-14-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Anybody have any suggestions regarding my previous post above ? Should I just return the thing ?

I looked for a thread specifically about the Onkyo TX-SR313, but can't really find a specific thread. There are tons of various Onkyo threads, but I'm not sure which one would be relative to the 313.
Probably a bit late, but I'm going with the "goofball" cause... :-) With everything powered off, disconnected all inputs, connect the hdmi out to your TV. Power up, does your TV "see" that the hdmi is plugged in... ie. "senses" the hdmi cable input? that's THE starting place. Go from there. IF it doesn't, odds are you have a cable issue. IF it does, does the avr have OSD, try it. What resolution is your TV indicating that it is receiving?

Lastly, are you getting test tones? are you hearing am/fm radio?
post #109 of 247 Old 02-16-2014, 09:01 PM

So... I'm coming around to my board is "dying", as the hdmi out no longer shows a picture - lots of questions and a few facts:

Facts:
-809, 13 months old, open vented all around
-sound still works though hdmi out, but picture went out
-worked fine, turned it off and then back on five minutes later and no picture (again, sound works)
-temporarily went to sub-out and everything works ok

Questions:
-should I wait till I get closer to 24 months or it dies completely to get it serviced?
-is it the board if sound still works through the hdmi out port, but no picture... if not, what could it be?
-will the other hdmi out (sub-out) likely go out, or anything else?
-should i hard reset it, or power cycle it? How? Lose settings, or not?

Any information that might be useful, I'd certainly listen... below was my original post in the official owner's thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss07 View Post

I need some help with troubleshooting my TX-NR809; HDMI Out stopped working out of the blue... I finished watching Reservoir Dogs (DVR/cablebox) and turned everything off (Harmony 700). Less than 5 minutes later, the wife turned everything on to watch something, but alas no picture. Tested other devices, connections and cables, and all work correctly. Still no picture through HDMI Out. As a temp. patch, I changed the "Monitor Out" setting and switched the cable and input to "Sub-Out". Picture restored and all is "normal".

Does this sound like a HW problem and bad HDMI port? I recall when I had purchased this that the HDMI boards had some issues, but it was too good of a deal to pass up and I've been a happy person ever since. The unit is still under warranty and we can get by with the other "Sub-Out", but is it something that I should have the HDMI board replaced or serviced? Do they just go out, or would I hears/something if that is the issue? I don't know what else it can be as all else is working and it just stopped (no setting, firmware or other changes - just watching something, turned off, turned back on and no picture). Anyone have the board replaced and still have issues? Is there anything else that is possibly could be in setup that I am overlooking perhaps? Thanks in advance!

I should mention, I did just get a new Comcast X1 box, but I've been through its settings and it isn't the issue given the information above (I think)...
post #110 of 247 Old 02-20-2014, 03:00 AM

Liked: 14
well, looks like my onkyo 609 has an hdmi problem as well.
past couple of weeks i didn´t get sound when i first turned it on, had to power cycle a second time for it to work.
now i don´t get any sound over hdmi at all. tried unplugging, factory reset different hdmi inputs...all i get is video, no sound.
still got 3 months of warranty left, so i´ll see what support has to say.
post #111 of 247 Old 02-20-2014, 06:29 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyrees View Post

I guess coming to an Onkyo HDMI Failures thread isn't the place for reassurance, but.....
Do you think a refurb HT-RC370 (basically same as 709) is a safe bet to have had the HDMI board issue resolved? Or would I just knowingly subject myself to HDMI misery?

Why do you think a replaced HDMI board would be more reliable than the original?
post #112 of 247 Old 02-20-2014, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

Why do you think a replaced HDMI board would be more reliable than the original?
I don't think a replacement would be more reliable. I don't know - hence the question. There is a possibility that Onkyo figured out what the problem was and is replacing old boards with improved new ones. TBH, I suspect they are just replacing like with like and Onkyo is to be avoided, at least until they demonstrate Improvement. Of course, no manufacturer is 100% reliable, but there does seem to be an Onkyo HDMI problem.
post #113 of 247 Old 02-20-2014, 10:19 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

One would assume that the mere existence of a thread with this title when there are none about any other manufacturer would answer your question.
post #114 of 247 Old 02-20-2014, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One would assume that the mere existence of a thread with this title when there are none about any other manufacturer would answer your question.
Well no doubt the existence of this thread would answer the question "has there been an issue with Onkyo HDMI boards failing?" That wasn't the question though. The question was (reworded) "when Onkyo refurbishes a unit, do they put an improved, and now as reliable as other brands, hdmi board in it?" The existence of this thread doesn't answer that question. Or put another way, "is a refurb unit likely to be more reliable than the original, unrefurbished version?" But thanks anyway.
post #115 of 247 Old 02-20-2014, 11:47 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Sorry I mistook "TBH, I suspect they are just replacing like with like and Onkyo is to be avoided, at least until they demonstrate Improvement" as a question. Indeed it was a statement.
post #116 of 247 Old 02-20-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry I mistook "TBH, I suspect they are just replacing like with like and Onkyo is to be avoided, at least until they demonstrate Improvement" as a question. Indeed it was a statement.
no worries - I'm avoiding Onkyo until there's some concrete evidence they have fixed their problem. I took a half-a$$ed course of action and bought a used Pioneer VSX-42. Mitigate my risk by paying less. If it serves our needs, great, if not, I'll Craigslist it and get something more substantial. My current VSX-1121 actually sounds great and had zero issues until lighting took out its hdmi-out port. It's amazing how complicated that makes things. Kind of inconvenient, less than the best audio now, (hdmi has to go from BDP straight to TV for video, have to use optical for audio, etc).
post #117 of 247 Old 03-19-2014, 02:51 PM

I have had 2 HT-RC360's just fail within 3 weeks of each other. Both were purchased at the same time Nov 2011. One was for my father in-law the other for myself. My father in-laws unit was in a poorly ventilated stereo cabinet. Mine however was in a very ventilated component room behind the wall which is 6'x7'x10' of space with open shelves for my devices. My Onkyo unit has 24" on ALL sides of it. I would call that pretty well ventilated and still has same stupid failure. The one thing I can say is both of our units were set up for HDMI pass through and network connectivity. I have tried contacting Onkyo to get a replacement board which I can install myself but have not heard from them as of yet. My father in-law has just picked up the HT-RC560 and I feel like its a ticking time bomb on when it will fail.

post #118 of 247 Old 03-20-2014, 03:36 PM

Another SR 805 with what seems to be a failed HDMI board.  What bothers me is it went just as I was rebooting after installing Win 7 updates, including a driver for the NVIDIA card.  Rolled back driver of course, but none if the HDMI inputs seem to work anymore.

PC's HDMI direct to TV then optical from PC to the 805 for audio is working, but not nearly as good as when HDMI went into the 805 and out again.

Component to the 805 then HDMI out to TV is fine. Tried various new HDMI cables just in case.

I'm just worried that some HDCP change on the PC caused the handshake to fail.  What do you think?  Dead HDMI board for sure?  Died on PC reboot just because of signal switched off/on?

The 805 is 7 years old, was running hot with not great ventilation for 3 years with the PC/HDMI/TV setup.  FW 1.06.xxx.

Thinking of a Yamaha RX-V575.

post #119 of 247 Old 03-21-2014, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just sent in my 3009, purchased November 2012.

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
post #120 of 247 Old 03-21-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsacksteder View Post

Another SR 805 with what seems to be a failed HDMI board.  What bothers me is it went just as I was rebooting after installing Win 7 updates, including a driver for the NVIDIA card.  Rolled back driver of course, but none if the HDMI inputs seem to work anymore.

PC's HDMI direct to TV then optical from PC to the 805 for audio is working, but not nearly as good as when HDMI went into the 805 and out again.

Component to the 805 then HDMI out to TV is fine. Tried various new HDMI cables just in case.

I'm just worried that some HDCP change on the PC caused the handshake to fail.  What do you think?  Dead HDMI board for sure?  Died on PC reboot just because of signal switched off/on?

The 805 is 7 years old, was running hot with not great ventilation for 3 years with the PC/HDMI/TV setup.  FW 1.06.xxx.

Thinking of a Yamaha RX-V575.

Since HDMI from computer to TV works, my guess is the Onkyo crapped out on you. Consider yourself lucky a 05 unit lasted as long as it did. Most failed after 2-3 years.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Onkyo Tx Sr806 Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr608 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr608 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page