Blue Rain likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 239 Old 05-08-2014, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Adding my data point and anecdotal information here. I have an HT-RC360 purchased July 2nd 2011. In March of this year I came home one day fired up the system and had static/crackling coming from the rear surrounds. I power cycled once, twice, or thrice and the sound returned to normal. The next day the same thing happened. I came here looking for answers and after some reading I felt I knew what was coming. A day or two later I had no audio at start up. A power cycle or two and then just waiting would cause the sound to work after a few minutes of run time. I ran the update and installed the latest firmware to no avail.

A few facts-
-This unit has operated in free air since day one. It's never been in an enclosed rack and nothing has ever sat on top of it.
-This unit never has had HDMI pass-through enabled until this problem arose (as a work around for sound)
-Unit was network connected from fairly early on. Network functions would fail periodically requiring a plug pulling to return to service.
-This unit was registered with Onkyo shortly after purchase in July 2011

On advice from this thread I sent an email to the warranty department. I didn't hear a word for two weeks or so. Then I got an email saying they had approved a 1 time out of warranty repair along with the contact information of the local repair center where my info had been sent.

I drove it there the following weekend and when I walked in it was like the "Trouble with Tribbles" episode of Star Trek for you old fogies, or Gremlins when you throw water on them for you semi old fogies. There were Onkyo recievers EVERYWHERE. There where stacked vertically, or on top of each other. All along the walls and under every desk and on every table.

I was advised the repair might take 6-8 weeks because Onkyo was only shipping the repair boards out in batches, rather than when requested by the repair facility.

In the meantime I wasn't too upset because I had my old, budget home theater in a box left over receiver htr540. No HDMI convenience, but damn if it didn't sound better than the HT-RC360 using optical cables from the Directv box and PS3 (BluRay) eek.gif Hmmm...

Fast forward two weeks or so, I get a call that my unit is ready. When I go to pick it up, I was making more small talk with the woman at the repair facility and she comments that the boards being installed are the same as the ones coming out. According to her, they weren't upgraded in any way.

So I figure if she's correct, maybe this repair just bought another 18-24 months of use. rolleyes.gif

Anyone want to buy a freshly repaired HT-RC360 in SoCal? biggrin.gif

There's my nugget for the community.

*edit* Where's my lurker of the century award, dang it?!!! wink.gif
post #213 of 239 Old 05-09-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
When I had my 906 repaired, i asked what type of caps were used. The tech said they replaced the bad caps with exactly the same type of caps... 85 degree rated units... Which meant that the unit will fail again....

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #214 of 239 Old 05-09-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Has anyone experienced any failures on the 5509?
Yes, I have, don't know whats wrong, but can't connect to net anymore/remote control it via network. Have read about the HDMI board failures, don't hope mine is one of them. My 5509 has just expired the 2 years warranty mad.gif
I'll keep on searching for how to repair it myself/exchange the caps....

kindly
Jan
post #215 of 239 Old 05-14-2014, 10:14 AM

Contacted Jose about my tx-sr608 hdmi board failure and was offered a refurb tx-nr626 @ $270 and I had to pay to return my 608. Really couldn't afford to do that so I passed.
post #216 of 239 Old 05-18-2014, 08:50 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Ask them what "single component" it is that they have isolated as the problem.

Good luck with your repair.

Finally got a reply as to why they replaced the HDMI board. It was replaced as it was bright & shiny, with nary a speck of dust on it.
Here is what I was told:
"To answer your question on the failure of the HDMI board : The fault is the main dsp ic -the connection of the ic to the board failing – BGA type ic. The newer ic – is connected to the board better and is of a more reliable nature."

That make sense.
post #217 of 239 Old 05-19-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldfarter View Post

Finally got a reply as to why they replaced the HDMI board. It was replaced as it was bright & shiny, with nary a speck of dust on it.
Here is what I was told:
"To answer your question on the failure of the HDMI board : The fault is the main dsp ic -the connection of the ic to the board failing – BGA type ic. The newer ic – is connected to the board better and is of a more reliable nature."

That make sense.

Thanks for the info. So it seems it can be more than just a cap problem.

Glad you got it fixed.
post #218 of 239 Old 05-19-2014, 01:52 PM

Liked: 24
My year old TX-NR809 surrendered with a 'POP!' on Sunday and has been returned to the reseller for warranty service.
post #219 of 239 Old 05-19-2014, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just got mine back today from the shop, thanks to Jose. From what I read, it sounds like there's two problems with the board.

- Heat that will pop the caps.
- Solder used for some of the chips is bad and over time, the connection will break.

Now I will say this, I've had fans on top of my unit since day one, it's on a wire rack in my basement with absolutely nothing around it and plenty of space on the top and bottom. It sounds like others have done the same, only to find the board still fails. I believe that this fix prevents the caps from exploding from heat, but not the bgp chip solder. I'm not sure if there's much that can be done with the solder other than replace the board.

When I got the receiver back, it looks like they replaced the board and also added the voltage regulator part to the corner. I'm hoping that this fixes it, but time will tell...

Also, does anybody know how to see your board version number? Is there a 'ver' on the board? Does anybody know what the latest versions are?

In any case, thank you all for recommending reaching out to Jose. Without his help, I would had been very...well, not so happy about Onkyo.
post #220 of 239 Old 05-20-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What is the newest model you all have experienced multiple failures with?
post #221 of 239 Old 05-22-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

Just sent in my 3009, purchased November 2012.

64 days later and I finally get a call that it's fixed. rolleyes.gif

I'm so pissed off already I almost don't even care anymore.

Onkyo completely ignored my request for service. What a joke!

Never again!

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
post #222 of 239 Old 05-25-2014, 01:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My Onkyo 818 sound through HDMI has stopped working. The past month or so occasionally you would turn the source on and you could hear nothing, a power cycle of the amp would fix it. I thought it was the PC or Boxee etc, but looks as though a HDMI board failure. I also had a 709 that did exactly the same thing.

My last Onkyo was about 13 years old before it started playing up.
post #223 of 239 Old 05-25-2014, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I purchased my TX-NR609 in April, 2011 and it performed flawlessly until the beginning of this month, so 36-37 months. It is used daily for several hours for all cable TV, Blu-rays, HDDVDs, Apple TV and other streaming apps as well as music from multiple sources. It has excellent clearance over its top in a cabinet open in the front and I don't recall ever seeing a temp above 35C even after several hours of continuous use. Then the classic popping from random channels for a few days followed by no sound out. Thankfully I check out AVS forums from time to time and was aware of the HDMI/processor board issue from the 609 thread and emailed Jose Torres as my first contact with Onkyo. He replied within a couple of days, authorized the out of warranty repair and I shipped it to ABL Electronics ($30 out of pocket) in Madison Heights, MI and had it back in 13 days. It's working flawlessly again.

Some of these similar threads have opinions that the replacement processor board is improved while others maintain that they're just using the exact same boards. I don't know but hope it's the former. I certainly am happy that Onkyo is standing behind their product with a known issue which is over one year out of warranty. I'm glad I ran across using JT as the primary contact as I've certainly read of a lot of disgruntled consumers who felt they got the run-around from calling CS.

I'll keep my mind open about Onkyo. I still have a SR500 that's working fine for years now. I've been meaning to set it up downstairs but pulled it out to use while the 609 was in for repairs. I too have thought that maybe they should have issued some sort of recall though ran across a thread on Onkyo's support forum where their mods stated there was no need for a recall since there is no safety issue involved. I feel sorry for people who don't follow av forums or wouldn't think to Google to see if there was a known issue, as I'm sure there must be many whose unit has failed out of the warranty period and just junked it. I only paid $400 for this unit and doubt I would have considered looking into having it fixed on my dime, though I actually did try to find the cost of a replacement board and could not find any available with my search. I am curious about the actual cost for these boards and typical labor costs. If it failed again, I would certainly consider replacing the board myself if it was available and reasonably priced now that I understand that is a pretty easy fix. Though if I get a couple of more years out of it I'll probably be looking to upgrade to a newer unit at that point anyway.

“A great thunderstorm of sound gushed from the walls. Music bombarded him at such an immense volume that his bones were almost shaken from their tendons; he felt his jaw vibrate, his eyes wobble in his head. He was a victim of concussion.” ― Fahrenheit 451
post #224 of 239 Old 05-25-2014, 04:07 PM

Liked: 12
Here is the price, shown in New Zealand dollars, of the HDMI boards available through the New Zealand distributor Avalon Audio.
At todays conversion rate into US dollars, the price is US$142.45 and US$108.07
http://www.avalon.co.nz/149-parts
post #225 of 239 Old 05-25-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldfarter View Post

Here is the price
Thanks for that. Inputting the part # for the board only brought up Sears as a source and their site indicated none were available. I'll try to remain optimistic that mine will continue to function for some time. I suppose if it fails again, I could speak with the folks at ABL Electronics directly and see what options they have to offer for parts and/or repair.

“A great thunderstorm of sound gushed from the walls. Music bombarded him at such an immense volume that his bones were almost shaken from their tendons; he felt his jaw vibrate, his eyes wobble in his head. He was a victim of concussion.” ― Fahrenheit 451
post #226 of 239 Old 05-27-2014, 05:57 PM

I was wondering if anybody had any problems AFTER they did they repair or had it returned to them. I picked up my receiver last week, plugged it all in, and no sound. Great video, just no sound. I ran through a bunch of things, and I couldn't get sound working. The list of things included a factory wipe and audyssey setup. BTW, audyssey and the tuner work, just not audio over HDMI.

I brought it back to the service center, the tech hooked it up to his bench, and it worked perfectly fine. He even took me back there and showed me. I bring it home today, and it still doesn't work.

I've tried two different directv receivers as the source, a HTPC (hdmi), xbox360, and a galaxy s3 with a MHL/hdmi cable. I've tried multiple source inputs on the receiver, and they all do the same thing. I've also tried different HDMI cables and even a different TV. Nothing seems to work. I can also get into the areas that were previously grayed out due to the board/chip failure.

I just shot an E-Mail off to Jose and I'm hoping somebody here could chime in and give me an idea. I'm totally clueless. The next step is to pull everything out and hook separate speakers up to it to see if that's it.
post #227 of 239 Old 05-27-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz561 View Post

I was wondering if anybody had any problems AFTER they did they repair or had it returned to them. I picked up my receiver last week, plugged it all in, and no sound. Great video, just no sound. I ran through a bunch of things, and I couldn't get sound working. The list of things included a factory wipe and audyssey setup. BTW, audyssey and the tuner work, just not audio over HDMI.

I brought it back to the service center, the tech hooked it up to his bench, and it worked perfectly fine. He even took me back there and showed me. I bring it home today, and it still doesn't work.

I've tried two different directv receivers as the source, a HTPC (hdmi), xbox360, and a galaxy s3 with a MHL/hdmi cable. I've tried multiple source inputs on the receiver, and they all do the same thing. I've also tried different HDMI cables and even a different TV. Nothing seems to work. I can also get into the areas that were previously grayed out due to the board/chip failure.

I just shot an E-Mail off to Jose and I'm hoping somebody here could chime in and give me an idea. I'm totally clueless. The next step is to pull everything out and hook separate speakers up to it to see if that's it.
What does the receiver display indicate? When I got mine back I wasn't getting any sound from the 5.1 speakers and the display said "TV Speakers", something I never saw or used before. I went into the setup menu, 7.3 "HDMI" and clicked all of those settings to "OFF", shut all of the components off and restarted them and everything was working fine. Don't know if this applies to your setup but maybe it's some kind of handshake issue.

post #228 of 239 Old 05-28-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

What does the receiver display indicate? When I got mine back I wasn't getting any sound from the 5.1 speakers and the display said "TV Speakers", something I never saw or used before. I went into the setup menu, 7.3 "HDMI" and clicked all of those settings to "OFF", shut all of the components off and restarted them and everything was working fine. Don't know if this applies to your setup but maybe it's some kind of handshake issue.

Thanks for the information. I'll have to check this out tonight. I'm wondering if there was some special switch that got added that I'm missing....although it doesn't explain the receiver working at the service center but not working at home. I mean, it was seriously connected the same exact way, just different sources and different HDMI cables. I'll have to check out that menu tonight though. Thank you so much for the tip and I hope that does it.

EDIT: Unfortunately, I got home and everything in the 7.4 HDMI menu is set to "OFF". I have a rather long HDMI run, so I brought the receiver up to the TV and hooked it up directly to that using a short cable and my xbox, and still nada. frown.gif
post #229 of 239 Old 06-05-2014, 06:08 AM
dea

Liked: 13
Jumping in on the thread, I have a TX-SR876 that has had HDMI issues for a while now, but lately has become worse. It now takes anywhere from 30min to up to an hour until it will sync up to an incoming HDMI signal and even longer to complete the handshake with my Pioneer 6090 TV. After briefly emailing with the Finnish Onkyo service and getting a quote for 210€ ($285) for just the HDMI replacement board, software update and labor I started looking into what I can do by myself. I have so far asked them to quote me the spare part alone, but so far haven't received any information on that.

If I can't buy the part alone from the service center, any other ideas where I can turn to? Are those boards sold by Avalon compatible with the SR876?
post #230 of 239 Old 06-19-2014, 04:50 PM

All,

OK, so I got my receiver back from the second service center. If you recall, I got the board replaced and brought it home. No sound with HDMI in the replaced board. Brought it back to the service center, it worked, brought it home, nothing.

Contacted Onkyo and they had me ship it to the regional center. They took a look at it and thankfully fixed it. On the ticket, it said:

modified processing board by repositioningresistor @ q8403 per s/b# 14060401 to restore proper operation

Does anybody know what this means, what service bulletin 14060401 says, and why the new replaced board needed this fix? I'm a bit worried that this board is working for now, but may develop issues later because of this resistor problem.

Thanks.
post #231 of 239 Old 06-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Onkyo Receivers Disposable! Stay Away!

MY 805 died earlier this year! no pic or sound when HDMI out is selected. Called customer service to bitch and nothing. Complained on Facebook and Twitter, got immediate attention and after wasting a month of my time, i got a offer to buy a discounted previously failed unit and send back mine for $50 less than i could buy on Amazon. The 805 was a THX Ultra 2 and an amazing receiver at 1000 back in 07. I will never give my money to Onkyo again for a disposable receiver! My Yamaha DSP A1 still works perfectly. I will likely buy a closeout Sony 1040 and blacklist Onkyo forever!!!!!!!!

HD-DVD: 115 Blu: 6
Latest HD-DVD: All of them at Frys for under $10.

Latest BD: No incentive to pick up discs now that the format war is over. Netflix via xbox and mail is more that sufficient.
post #232 of 239 Old 06-20-2014, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My HT-R990 recently failed on me not due to a HDMI issue but a Check SP wire issue.

Onkyo didn't want to honor the warranty because it had no serial number in the back and because it was a gift - no proof of purchased.

I got a TX-NR727 today from Amazon and so far so good.
post #233 of 239 Old 06-20-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdnlc View Post
Onkyo didn't want to honor the warranty because it had no serial number in the back and because it was a gift - no proof of purchased.

I'm pretty sure no manufacturer will warranty a product that is missing it's serial number. There is a reason the serial number is missing. It was sold through a non-authorized dealer that didn't want to leave a trail back to their supplier. Whoever bought it for you as a gift fell for one of those sites that sell stuff way cheaper than the market price.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Amazon should be an authorized reseller, but verify it before your return window is up. Then do yourself a favor and make sure you keep all of your documentation in a safe place.

Good luck with the new one.
post #234 of 239 Old 06-20-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB GAMER View Post
MY 805 died earlier this year! no pic or sound when HDMI out is selected. Called customer service to bitch and nothing. Complained on Facebook and Twitter, got immediate attention and after wasting a month of my time, i got a offer to buy a discounted previously failed unit and send back mine for $50 less than i could buy on Amazon. The 805 was a THX Ultra 2 and an amazing receiver at 1000 back in 07. I will never give my money to Onkyo again for a disposable receiver! My Yamaha DSP A1 still works perfectly. I will likely buy a closeout Sony 1040 and blacklist Onkyo forever!!!!!!!!

While I understand your disappointment, you really expected them to do something for you on a receiver that is 7 years old and has a 2 year warranty?
post #235 of 239 Old 06-20-2014, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My thoughts exactly^^^^ is he serious? I'm in the automotive industry and have people coming in telling me their tires are dry rotted after eight years and they want a refund... really!!! Are you for serious HB? By the way, I would never buy an Onkyo anyways. It's like buying a Vizio and wanting top quality, although Vizios do have a better value IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #236 of 239 Old 06-21-2014, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGTWHIT View Post
My thoughts exactly^^^^ is he serious? I'm in the automotive industry and have people coming in telling me their tires are dry rotted after eight years and they want a refund... really!!! Are you for serious HB? By the way, I would never buy an Onkyo anyways. It's like buying a Vizio and wanting top quality, although Vizios do have a better value IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Except in the auto industry if there is a known problem 10 years out of warranty they can be forced to issue a recall. Look at the GM ignition switch. This is a known issue that should be remedied
post #237 of 239 Old 06-27-2014, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have come across the Onkyo TX-NR818 Service Manual and Repair Guide https://www.dropbox.com/s/03iqnr4ghx...pair_Guide.pdf
laugsbach likes this.
post #238 of 239 Old 06-29-2014, 11:46 PM
dea

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dea View Post
Jumping in on the thread, I have a TX-SR876 that has had HDMI issues for a while now, but lately has become worse. It now takes anywhere from 30min to up to an hour until it will sync up to an incoming HDMI signal and even longer to complete the handshake with my Pioneer 6090 TV. After briefly emailing with the Finnish Onkyo service and getting a quote for 210€ ($285) for just the HDMI replacement board, software update and labor I started looking into what I can do by myself. I have so far asked them to quote me the spare part alone, but so far haven't received any information on that.

If I can't buy the part alone from the service center, any other ideas where I can turn to? Are those boards sold by Avalon compatible with the SR876?
Replying to myself in case someone else has these same problems. I found a repair guide for 606 that stated that all of the HDMI board's 100uf elcos need to be changed out in order to fix this. Even though the HDMI boards between these two amps are completely different and the amount of elcos on 876 board is 16, and not 6 as on 606, I went ahead and swapped all of them out for higher grade ones. Original were 85C rated 100F4V, I soldered in 105C rated 100F10V's and lo'n'behold, it works again like it should. On power on I get picture through HDMI immediately and not after waiting for an hour and the input switching takes few seconds.
Blue Rain and old corps like this.
post #239 of 239 Old 07-02-2014, 06:42 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariokrt64 View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by chrisexv6

Exactly my experience when I had it. They dont give a good spec as to how much just each of the features uses, only a "might reach 75W if....". Looking at the things they list, I have a feeling anything HDMI related (pass through or control) "lights up" all or part of the HDMI board and causes it to draw power. The fact that it gets warm leads me to believe its a decent amount of power that its using too.

As a reference, Pioneer shows their AVRs as using 0.3W for HDMI Control, if you read their whitepapers it states network control draws 0.1W (you have to send an initial pair of signals over the network to wake it up). Im not exactly sure how much HDMI pass through uses (going to get a Kill-A-Watt to test it) but it remains cold when everything is off. I think the Pio unit shuts down everything until it senses an HDMI signal coming in.

Im still a fan of Onkyo, their price to performance ratio cannot be beat, but they need to get ALL of the features working well enough to justify it (or drop some and concentrate on the important ones). The 809 was a bargain at the Amazon price, and if I would use the HT speakers even for regular TV, it would have been my choice of receiver. But most of the time it would just be overkill/too loud for everyday viewing.

I finally decided to disable the pass thru, so now all are disabled, including the RHEID and the Network....Very cool now in standby to the touch. Had to connect the Dish thru the component and analog audio, which works just fine. I mostly used the receiver when usign the PJ anyway...

I have keep experiencing ramdoms sudden shutoff of the receiver...I thought was due to heating, but I provided an external fan over the receiver but still got a couple of random shutdowns a couple of days ago. Anyone with a similar experience or who can comment on this? Could this be related to the hdmi board problems mentioned in this forum? I only had this receiver since Nov 2012
I am also facing the same problem with Onkyo NR525, it is shutting down randomly. I have checked all cables and connections but no luck. Gave the receiver to repair shop as my warranty period is over, still they are searching for the problem......... frustrating......
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Onkyo Tx Sr806 Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr608 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page