Onkyo HDMI Failures - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 250 Old 02-02-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
:eek:As many HDMI failures as Onkyo products have (and I have had 3 on 3 different receivers) I feel Onkyo should have a program where they will sell HDMI boards to customers at cost + shipping. This has been going on way to long for them to still do nothing but refer you to an expensive repair depot. It takes all of 10 minutes to change out one of these boards with no skill whatsoever. Just a phillips head screwdriver. This should be treated just like a recall is on a car. I know they have lost me as a customer and anyone else I know looking for a HT receiver!

Wishing I could post in the Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 250 Old 02-02-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
This should be treated just like a recall is on a car

When they recall a car they don't send you the parts to install yourself..you have to take it in for repair.

Afro GT
post #3 of 250 Old 02-02-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

When they recall a car they don't send you the parts to install yourself..you have to take it in for repair.

They should at the least supply the parts at a big discount!

post #4 of 250 Old 02-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
While I did just return an 809 because of HDMI worries, Id be interested if we could get an ACCURATE poll of what models are failing.

Its been mentioned Onkyo has come out with a fixed HDMI board, but I would be interested to see if its already in production models. The 809 supposedly doesnt have as high an HDMI failure rate, but thats only from reading user and pro reviews. The thing with the HDMI failure is that it seems to be happen LONG into the receivers lifetime. Which is odd considering most electronics will fail within the first 90 days if there are real issues. The HDMI boards can last 2+ years (just outside of warranty for some). So right now the 2011 and 2012 models may be working just fine but we cant declare it "fixed" just yet.

After going to a Pioneer, I see the differences in how Onkyo implemented things like HDMI pass through, etc. And I can see why their boards might fail earlier than everyone elses....it doesnt seem to "shut down" when there is no incoming signal from the HDMI equipment. The Onkyo hdmi board was always warm. The Pio HDMI board is never warm, even with a signal coming through. It could be something as simple as adding a heatsink or a chipset cooler to the HDMI chips on the board. Id also like to see a manufacturer come out with a setup more akin to an old desktop (non-tower) case: maybe 2 "columns" of HDMI outputs, but once the boards are vertical it would help convection cooling a little more. I think the Onkyo units end up with heat underneath the HDMI board trying to rise out of the case but all it ends up doing is heating the HDMI board even more.
post #5 of 250 Old 02-02-2013, 11:33 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisexv6 View Post

After going to a Pioneer, I see the differences in how Onkyo implemented things like HDMI pass through, etc. And I can see why their boards might fail earlier than everyone elses....it doesnt seem to "shut down" when there is no incoming signal from the HDMI equipment. The Onkyo hdmi board was always warm. The Pio HDMI board is never warm, even with a signal coming through. It could be something as simple as adding a heatsink or a chipset cooler to the HDMI chips on the board. Id also like to see a manufacturer come out with a setup more akin to an old desktop (non-tower) case: maybe 2 "columns" of HDMI outputs, but once the boards are vertical it would help convection cooling a little more. I think the Onkyo units end up with heat underneath the HDMI board trying to rise out of the case but all it ends up doing is heating the HDMI board even more.

I suspect you are right about the failures being related to the "HDMI Board" (which actually contained much more than HDMI) being constantly powered on. I never used the HDMI control or network control on my RC-180, as it used too much power and generated too much heat in standby. For 2012 AVR's, Onkyo's "hybrid standby" has fixed that, allowing HDMI pass through, network control, HDMI-CEC, and other functions to work with just a few watts drawn and no noticeable heat. Hopefully, we have seen the end of Onkyo's HDMI problems.
post #6 of 250 Old 02-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post

I suspect you are right about the failures being related to the "HDMI Board" (which actually contained much more than HDMI) being constantly powered on. I never used the HDMI control or network control on my RC-180, as it used too much power and generated too much heat in standby. For 2012 AVR's, Onkyo's "hybrid standby" has fixed that, allowing HDMI pass through, network control, HDMI-CEC, and other functions to work with just a few watts drawn and no noticeable heat. Hopefully, we have seen the end of Onkyo's HDMI problems.

Did not know they have a "hybrid standby" feature now. Interesting, I guess if I had bumped up to the 818 I might have been able to rest easier. Too late now I suppose (unless there comes a ROCKING deal on the 818 within my return period to Newegg for the Pioneer)

If manufacturers really want AVRs to do all the switching for video, the first thing they should get right is low power mode....no one wants to be drawing 30W 24/7 just to pass regular TV through the AVR.
post #7 of 250 Old 02-02-2013, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
So the 809 does not have this "hybrid" stdby? Guess not....from the user manual

"In the following cases, the power consumption in
standby mode may reach up to a maximum of 75 W:
– You are using the Universal Port jack.
– “Network Control” is set to “Enable” in the
“Network” setting.
– “HDMI Control(RIHD)” setting is set to “On”.
(Depending on the TV status, the AV receiver
will enter standby mode as usual.)
– The “HDMI Through” setting is set to other than "OFF"

I have all set to OFF except pass thru and still seems "warm" to touch....

It was shutting off by itself so I provided an external fan and appeared to fix that....Granted my cabinet needs more ventilation, though....
post #8 of 250 Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariokrt64 View Post

So the 809 does not have this "hybrid" stdby? Guess not....from the user manual

"In the following cases, the power consumption in
standby mode may reach up to a maximum of 75 W:
– You are using the Universal Port jack.
– “Network Control” is set to “Enable” in the
“Network” setting.
– “HDMI Control(RIHD)” setting is set to “On”.
(Depending on the TV status, the AV receiver
will enter standby mode as usual.)
– The “HDMI Through” setting is set to other than "OFF"

I have all set to OFF except pass thru and still seems "warm" to touch....

It was shutting off by itself so I provided an external fan and appeared to fix that....Granted my cabinet needs more ventilation, though....

Exactly my experience when I had it. They dont give a good spec as to how much just each of the features uses, only a "might reach 75W if....". Looking at the things they list, I have a feeling anything HDMI related (pass through or control) "lights up" all or part of the HDMI board and causes it to draw power. The fact that it gets warm leads me to believe its a decent amount of power that its using too.

As a reference, Pioneer shows their AVRs as using 0.3W for HDMI Control, if you read their whitepapers it states network control draws 0.1W (you have to send an initial pair of signals over the network to wake it up). Im not exactly sure how much HDMI pass through uses (going to get a Kill-A-Watt to test it) but it remains cold when everything is off. I think the Pio unit shuts down everything until it senses an HDMI signal coming in.

Im still a fan of Onkyo, their price to performance ratio cannot be beat, but they need to get ALL of the features working well enough to justify it (or drop some and concentrate on the important ones). The 809 was a bargain at the Amazon price, and if I would use the HT speakers even for regular TV, it would have been my choice of receiver. But most of the time it would just be overkill/too loud for everyday viewing.
post #9 of 250 Old 02-02-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Id be interested if we could get an ACCURATE poll of what models are failing.

TX-SR806 Repaired myself
TX-SR-608 unable to repair
DTR-5.9 Repaired myself no OSD

post #10 of 250 Old 02-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gferrell View Post

TX-SR806 Repaired myself

Ive read a lot of people saying the 09 and newer models are supposed to be pretty good. But I hear of a lot of failing 609 and 709. I also thought I read that the 809 has a different HDMI board, so it could end up more robust.

Im not sure if that translates into the '12 models as well.....i.e. the 616 and 717 fail but the 818 doesnt.
post #11 of 250 Old 02-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:

TX-SR806 Repaired myself

Having fallen victim to the HDMI board failures twice myself (606 and 3008), I have followed these Onkyo threads very closely. From what I've read, I think it's safe to say that all x06, x07, and x08 models are prone to this particular failure. I have also seen a sprinkling of HDMI board failures in the x09 models (we're getting into that magical window when they start failing).

I hadn't read about the "hybrid standby" on the newest models, but that sounds promising. We won't know anything for sure until about a year from now. I always loved Onkyo for the same reasons everyone else does (best bang for the buck, most number of features), but they've lost me as a customer until/unless they can resolve these quality issues. My old SR800 is still rock solid, and my parents have been using an SR601 (in a poorly ventilated enclosure, I might add) for the past 7 years or so.
post #12 of 250 Old 02-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

Having fallen victim to the HDMI board failures twice myself (606 and 3008), I have followed these Onkyo threads very closely. From what I've read, I think it's safe to say that all x06, x07, and x08 models are prone to this particular failure. I have also seen a sprinkling of HDMI board failures in the x09 models (we're getting into that magical window when they start failing).

I hadn't read about the "hybrid standby" on the newest models, but that sounds promising. We won't know anything for sure until about a year from now. I always loved Onkyo for the same reasons everyone else does (best bang for the buck, most number of features), but they've lost me as a customer until/unless they can resolve these quality issues. My old SR800 is still rock solid, and my parents have been using an SR601 (in a poorly ventilated enclosure, I might add) for the past 7 years or so.

I spoke to my local Onkyo service center. Take it with a grain of salt since they didnt seem interested in answering questions, but he said not ALL of the HDMI boards will fail, and that keeping it cool will not prevent one from failing.

Im not sure how true that is or isnt, but thats what I heard. He also said since the modified board was put in place they havent had any second repair requests. But the magical window has not arrived on the repaired units yet either.

I think they are becoming a "jack of all trades, master of none". Way back when I bought my first Onkyo stuff, they were years behind the times (DVD and CD players that didnt play MP3s, etc). But the stuff was rock solid. Now it looks like they are throwing in everything but the kitchen sink because they know people will buy based on the check marks it has for features vs another brand. If the unit works "perfectly" for 75% of the people that buy it and dont know any better, they win. Its ashame, but thats how stuff (at least that I, as a mere mortal, can afford) is being made now.

Im not quite sure what brand is currently like Onkyo used to be....rock solid stuff but maybe missing some of the newest features. Maybe Anthem? I honestly dont know, I havent looked at any of the "high end" stuff simply because its out of budget.
post #13 of 250 Old 02-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:

I spoke to my local Onkyo service center. Take it with a grain of salt since they didnt seem interested in answering questions, but he said not ALL of the HDMI boards will fail, and that keeping it cool will not prevent one from failing.

Im not sure how true that is or isnt, but thats what I heard. He also said since the modified board was put in place they havent had any second repair requests. But the magical window has not arrived on the repaired units yet either.

I think they are becoming a "jack of all trades, master of none". Way back when I bought my first Onkyo stuff, they were years behind the times (DVD and CD players that didnt play MP3s, etc). But the stuff was rock solid. Now it looks like they are throwing in everything but the kitchen sink because they know people will buy based on the check marks it has for features vs another brand. If the unit works "perfectly" for 75% of the people that buy it and dont know any better, they win. Its ashame, but thats how stuff (at least that I, as a mere mortal, can afford) is being made now.

Im not quite sure what brand is currently like Onkyo used to be....rock solid stuff but maybe missing some of the newest features. Maybe Anthem? I honestly dont know, I havent looked at any of the "high end" stuff simply because its out of budget.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting 100% of the units will fail, just that I have read about instances of HDMI board failures for every x06, x07, and x08 model.

Regarding your last comment, after looking to replace my 3008 I came to the conclusion that Yamaha receivers were the most reliable, so that's what I ended up with (A3010 model). I know that many will argue that YPAO is inferior to Audyssey (although in my experience both performed well), and Yamaha is missing some of the latest technologies from Dolby and DTS. For me personally, that is not a big deal, and I will gladly sacrifice a few features if this thing gives me years of reliable performance.
post #14 of 250 Old 02-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I almost ended up with a Yamaha actually, the 673 to be exact. But I felt like I would be missing a LOT going to that Yamaha. Couldnt afford the Aventage units which would give a step up in features, so I went with the Pioneer 1222-K (SC-61 Elite clone, basically). Kind of lands somewhere between the Onkyo and Yamaha for features. I know the Yamaha would potentially be bulletproof, but again couldnt afford the model I wanted from them.

Someday it will make a good upgrade smile.gif
post #15 of 250 Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Exactly my experience when I had it. They dont give a good spec as to how much just each of the features uses, only a "might reach 75W if....". Looking at the things they list, I have a feeling anything HDMI related (pass through or control) "lights up" all or part of the HDMI board and causes it to draw power. The fact that it gets warm leads me to believe its a decent amount of power that its using too.

As a reference, Pioneer shows their AVRs as using 0.3W for HDMI Control, if you read their whitepapers it states network control draws 0.1W (you have to send an initial pair of signals over the network to wake it up). Im not exactly sure how much HDMI pass through uses (going to get a Kill-A-Watt to test it) but it remains cold when everything is off. I think the Pio unit shuts down everything until it senses an HDMI signal coming in.

Im still a fan of Onkyo, their price to performance ratio cannot be beat, but they need to get ALL of the features working well enough to justify it (or drop some and concentrate on the important ones). The 809 was a bargain at the Amazon price, and if I would use the HT speakers even for regular TV, it would have been my choice of receiver. But most of the time it would just be overkill/too loud for everyday viewing.

I finally decided to disable the pass thru, so now all are disabled, including the RHEID and the Network....Very cool now in standby to the touch. Had to connect the Dish thru the component and analog audio, which works just fine. I mostly used the receiver when usign the PJ anyway...

I have keep experiencing ramdoms sudden shutoff of the receiver...I thought was due to heating, but I provided an external fan over the receiver but still got a couple of random shutdowns a couple of days ago. Anyone with a similar experience or who can comment on this? Could this be related to the hdmi board problems mentioned in this forum? I only had this receiver since Nov 2012
post #16 of 250 Old 03-25-2013, 07:47 AM

Liked: 10
I agree. I have a TX-NR906 and the HDMI board failed while under warranty. They replaced the board, but within 6 months 1 of the 4 ports failed and since no longer under warranty, they won't fix it. Very poor service in my opinion.
post #17 of 250 Old 03-25-2013, 09:44 AM

Well, I doubt many will be checking in here to complain that their receiver has worked perfectly since they bought it. ;-)

Onkyo fixed my TX-NR807 (luckily for my wallet, it went 3 months before the warranty expires), but the experience has convinced me to buy an extended warranty on my next receiver.
post #18 of 250 Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 PM

Liked: 11
I have the TX-NR906 and it failed just before the warranty expired. It started showing the same "15min to warmup before I could get video" symptoms a few of months ago.

By Grace someone left a 906 in the repair shop for scrap after hearing about the repair estimate for a different problem.
It had a functioning HDMI board in it.

The repair shop upgraded the caps anyway and only charged me the cap cost and labor.instead of for an $800 HDMI board.

I'm good to go, at least for a while.

I think, therefore I am single.
post #19 of 250 Old 03-26-2013, 04:36 AM

I know this thread is for discussing HDMI failures of our Onkyo's. However my TX-SR606 (had is since April '09) is still working, with minimal issues. Only HDMI device that gives it trouble is my ps3, but after about having reciever on for 10 minutes, there's no issue. The other device is a g-box midnight (smart tv box), and i can turn on the reciever cold with absolute no hdmi switching issues.

I did modify the entertainment center back some, and added an avr reciever fans to cool the reciever...

PSN= Jamweiser
post #20 of 250 Old 03-27-2013, 07:11 AM

My 906 HDMI board failed while under warranty. About 3 months after warranty ended, one of the HDMI ports failed (not the whole board). Naturally, no further warranty, but they would give me a trade in on a 1010 that had been refurbished. Not very good service in my opinion.
post #21 of 250 Old 04-25-2013, 04:20 PM

I have a DTR 40.2 which has been repaired twice for an HDMI card. It took weeks the first time and ran for five days before it failed again I got it back today and it failed as soon as I turned it on. Onkyo promises quick resolution if it failed again. We'll see how well they stand by their word. I've been without mine for almost two months now.

Update: 4/28 On Friday a representative said they will exchange the unit. I'll report back the final situation.

Rich Gibson
post #22 of 250 Old 04-29-2013, 09:10 AM

Not sure if this thread is dead, but I have an Onkyo 885(b) that sounded pretty good and looked very good. My video board failed, so while it's HDMI, every video output has failed. No way to feed s-video, component or even composite to my TV.

The sound was OK the features were very helpful. After the fact I think the only features that are truly important to me is HDMI pass through and room correction. Not sure if I want to put a corset on and ratchet up my attention to distinguish performance on the various codecs. Lots of letters not much difference to me.
post #23 of 250 Old 04-29-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 122
In talking with one of Onkyo 's service centers they said the HDMI board typically fails for one of the the following reasons:
1. Inadequate ventilation
User should have @ least 3-4" of free-air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover, also do not stack any other component on top of the AVR
2. Fragile HDMI connectors
These are mounted directly to the circuit board and if the inserted HDMI cable is pulled hard and/or at an angle its soldered connection may break loose

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
post #24 of 250 Old 04-29-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds like they are trying to make excuses!

post #25 of 250 Old 04-29-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We sell/install most AVRs brands including Yamaha, Onkyo/Integra, Denon, Marantz and Harman/Kardon..
And in our experience, the most reliable brand is Yamaha and the 2nd most was Onkyo/Integra.
As posted previously, one cannot over emphasize the importance of adequate ventilation...
Today's AVRs can run quite hot with their overclocked processors and tightly packed amplifiers and power supplies.

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
post #26 of 250 Old 04-29-2013, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darr247 View Post

Well, I doubt many will be checking in here to complain that their receiver has worked perfectly since they bought it. ;-)

OK, I will. biggrin.gif

I got my TX-NR1007 new in May 2011. Build/firmware date: 1 Oct 2010. Probably more good luck than good management, but it has performed flawlessly for two years. (Except for one instance of operator error when it went into a tailspin as I was frigging around trying to program the RC. A quick switch off/on fixed it.)

I have always had CEC Control enabled, so except for family holidays, severe thunderstorms and the odd blackout, it's basically been "ON" for almost two years. (I wonder if this is helpful to the HDMI boards?)

Hmm... perhaps this is why:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

In talking with one of Onkyo 's service centers they said the HDMI board typically fails for one of the the following reasons:
User should have @ least 3-4" of free-air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover, also do not stack any other component on top of the AVR
These are mounted directly to the circuit board and if the inserted HDMI cable is pulled hard and/or at an angle its soldered connection may break loose
  1. Clearance above achieved OK, but only 12mm L&R. Entire back removed from middle section of entertainment centre. About 80mm of shelf behind player jigsawed out. This tends to act like a flu with most hot air coming forward and exiting above the player.

2. HDMI connectors only touched once since initial setup - to hook up the PVR a year ago. Nothing ever unplugged.

Anyway, that's my Onkyo story... not a failure, but I hope it helps somebody.
post #27 of 250 Old 04-30-2013, 02:43 AM

Not to argue the point, but there have been several Onkyo owners who had failures even with adequate ventilation space and the use of external fans from the moment they were put into use (knowing Onkyo has a reputation of having AVRs that run hot). Unfortunately, many of us Onkyo owners are walking on egg shells, hoping that our unit will continue to perform as it approaches and/or exceeds the 2 year mark... from date of purchase, or date of last repair.

M Code - I imagine you get flamed regularly by disgruntled Onkyo owners who can't believe your assertion that Onkyo/Integra is the 2nd most reliable AVR brand... Don't let them get to you, your $0.02 means a great deal to many of us on these forums, and your observations and opinions are highly valued and regarded.
post #28 of 250 Old 04-30-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Being an owner of several big Onkyo AVRs, I don't know of any case, where a ventilated AVR failed if this had been done right from the beginning. Most of the time ventilation has been added only after the first problems occurred. Those units were often been mounted inside a cabinet, where heat especially becomes a problem.
It is known, that the older Onkyos became quite hot, whilst the latest generation does not seem to have this problem.
But it stays undisputed, that some of the older units starting with the generation xx5 had heat related problems which led to the early failures of the HDMI board if not handled preventive from the beginning.
I am still running a (ventilated) 876 in one of my rooms, which works the same like from the beginning. But other had different experiences.
It is not known yet if the generation xxx9 and xx10 still have any heat related problems, because they are still to "young" for anything meaningful.
post #29 of 250 Old 04-30-2013, 06:44 AM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
Quote:

Amazingly enough, the Denon 4520 requires and entire FOOT of airspace on all sides (except the bottom) of the AVR. Do not discount the importance of adequate airspace.
post #30 of 250 Old 04-30-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrauma View Post

Not to argue the point, but there have been several Onkyo owners who had failures even with adequate ventilation space and the use of external fans from the moment they were put into use (knowing Onkyo has a reputation of having AVRs that run hot). Unfortunately, many of us Onkyo owners are walking on egg shells, hoping that our unit will continue to perform as it approaches and/or exceeds the 2 year mark... from date of purchase, or date of last repair.

M Code - I imagine you get flamed regularly by disgruntled Onkyo owners who can't believe your assertion that Onkyo/Integra is the 2nd most reliable AVR brand... Don't let them get to you, your $0.02 means a great deal to many of us on these forums, and your observations and opinions are highly valued and regarded.

Thanx & noted...😃
All AVR brands recommend comparable free-air clearance, unfortunately many, many users don't take the time to read the stepup guides they just plug & pray/play..

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
climber07 likes this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Onkyo Tx Sr806 Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr608 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr608 by PriceGrabber.com