Onkyo TX-NR515 will not decode Dolby digital plus signal from Roku 2 streaming box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-02-2013, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When you set the roku to output audio with Dolby Digital Plus 5.1, you get no sound. Have tried all the settings. The only way to get audio is to switch the audio to just plain stereo. Even if I run the roku output thru a splitter to create a digital audio source via coax or toslink, it still will not decode it. I think it is a defect on roku's part even though they say all they do is "pass" the audio signal through to the av receiver. Any help would by greatly appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-02-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 126
What formt does the receiver report receiving from the Roku when you set the output to DD+?
post #3 of 13 Old 02-02-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Dolby Digital Plus is only supported through HDMI, you can't split it off into digital optical or coaxial audio cable.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-02-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

The roku box when the movie starts displays that it is being broadcast in DD+, but there is no sound through the receiver. The audio mode on the roku is set to 5.1 surround sound. The receiver reports that the sound input is analog, not DD+. If I select a plain Dolby digital movie the system reports and plays perfectly as it should.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-02-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

I have tried just inputing the hdmi signal as well as splitting apart the audio and piping it in thru the digital coax and toslink inputs with no change. The movie displays being broadcast in DD+, but the receiver shows the input signal as analog, not DD+ . When I play the hdmi input signal from my cable box, it identifies and displays Dolby digital correctly and plays it correctly. I don't have a DD+ source other than the roku box to check that as the source of the problem. The tx-nr515 is of course supposed to decode DD+ properly but I haven't seen anything on this forum indicating any problem there.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-02-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

The receiver shows an analog input? Maybe you've set that input for just analog. Try swapping inputs with your cable box.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Tried that, as well as changing to completely different hdmi inputs. Same results.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-02-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

They all show the digital input from the Roku over HDMI is an analog input? Doesn't seem possible.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-02-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by willix View Post

The roku box when the movie starts displays that it is being broadcast in DD+, but there is no sound through the receiver. The audio mode on the roku is set to 5.1 surround sound. The receiver reports that the sound input is analog, not DD+. If I select a plain Dolby digital movie the system reports and plays perfectly as it should.

Then it is possible your receiver is not setup correctly. In the setup menu make sure the input source has the HDMI assigned and also HDMI audio is selected, not analog or optical or digital coax.

I don't know how Onkyo setup menus look but I'm pretty sure that would be in there.

Afro GT
post #10 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, the problem is fixed. here is what I did:
1. Disconnected all the cabling throughout the system - not the speaker wires, but all the connections between the various components and the receiver.
2. Reconnected the Roku to an independent hdmi port - #5 or #6, then used it input to port #1.
3. Set the roku to 720p resolution. [My DLP has a top resolution of 1080i], and the audio to 5.1.
4. Ran a test on VuDu - Sucess!!
5. Reset the roku to 1080p
6. Ran test again - Sucess again!!
7. Tried it on Hulu plus - Sucess again!!

The only hiccup I have is the colors on the screen when I switch to the roku device. I have to briefly turn off the receiver and back on to restore the correct colors on the screen. I'm assuming a firmware update will fix that.
So the the whole system is working perfectly using two channel audio with DTS on stereo source only movies, and wonderful Dolby digital plus decoded to DD 5.1 on movies having Dolby digital 5.1 encoded in them.
I'm finally a happy camper!!!
post #11 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by willix View Post

Ok, the problem is fixed. here is what I did:
1. Disconnected all the cabling throughout the system - not the speaker wires, but all the connections between the various components and the receiver.
2. Reconnected the Roku to an independent hdmi port - #5 or #6, then used it input to port #1.
3. Set the roku to 720p resolution. [My DLP has a top resolution of 1080i], and the audio to 5.1.
4. Ran a test on VuDu - Sucess!!
5. Reset the roku to 1080p
6. Ran test again - Sucess again!!
7. Tried it on Hulu plus - Sucess again!!

The only hiccup I have is the colors on the screen when I switch to the roku device. I have to briefly turn off the receiver and back on to restore the correct colors on the screen. I'm assuming a firmware update will fix that.
So the the whole system is working perfectly using two channel audio with DTS on stereo source only movies, and wonderful Dolby digital plus decoded to DD 5.1 on movies having Dolby digital 5.1 encoded in them.
I'm finally a happy camper!!!

what imput are you using? game or pc? I use aux? that seems to work. no color screen problems.
there is known issues with onkyo and the roku that has not been fixed. its been going on for a while. I dont know if they will fix it or not?

Jacob
post #12 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

On the Onkyo TX-NR-515 there are eight hdmi input ports and only five I think are switchable from the front panel or remote, so you have to program the output of the extra ones to a remote control button that you can actually push. I know that I read in the firmware updates something about color problems being fixed with the updates and I have a 200 version that came with the unit that has been updated twice since then. I'm waiting for my wireless adapter to arrive to do the first update to version 300 - a direct connection to my router is too far away. Then I will do the v. 400 update via USB flash drive per Onkyo's instructions. I may play around with different hdmi input ports while I'm waiting just to see if that has any effect on the color of the screen when switching to the roku box, but I'm not worried about it now that I have my DD+ decoder working.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

By the way, thanks for the info on the aux port. I'll try that one first.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr515
Gear in this thread - Nr515 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page