Newb Question - connecting AVR - # of HDMI cables - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-02-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I just tried hooking up my Denon AVR 2112CI receiver. I have no idea if I did it properly.

Right now I have 2 HDMI cables... 1 is going from the AVR to the TV (ARC - HDMI # 1), and then I have another going from the cable box (like Comcast, Charter, etc) into the TV (HDMI # 2). Is this correct? Then all I do is disable the TV speakers, and activate Simplink (it's a LG TV)?

Right now I only have the front 2 speakers working...no surround sound or center speaker. I am clueless, and I'm a newb. Is my initial setup correct?

I notice on the AVR it displays "stereo" and NOT Dolby or 5.1. So, something obviously isn't setup right. What am I missing?

THANKS SO MUCH, been doing this the past 3 hours. It's my first system, so sorry for sounding like a total idiot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-02-2013, 02:00 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Welcome to AVS Forum! smile.gif

You've come to the right place for help, although for future reference note there is a dedicated thread just for Denon AVR-XX12 Owner's linked in my sig. Review posts #3-6 in that thread for setup/troubleshooting help.

In most cases you'll want to connect your sources directly to the 2112CI and use it as the HDMI switcher. However, the one exception is possibly a cable/sat box as it can often cause HDMI handshake issues with AVRs of any brand. In your current configuration the TV will only be able to pass back stereo 2.0 audio to the AVR which you could then use DD PLII - Cinema (select by pressing the MOVIE button on the Denon remote) to simulate 5.1 audio, although you currently have the AVR in STEREO mode which is why you're only getting sound from the FL/FR speakers.

The reason to connect the cable box audio (at least) directly to the AVR is that some HD channels have DD 5.1 audio tracks which can be passed to the AVR without having to simulate any of the channels. So first try connecting the cable box HDMI to one of the HDMI inputs on the AVR. If one doesn't work, try them all. If none of them work, then reconnect the HDMI cable back to the TV, but also add an optical cable from the cable box to the AVR to pass the audio to the AVR rather than via the HDMI cable to the TV speakers (although note you could listen to the TV speakers if you didn't want the surround speakers on, eg. News shows, sports, etc).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 9 Old 02-02-2013, 02:01 PM

Liked: 19
Plug the cable box into the AVR, not the TV. You want your AVR to be your hub, so all consoles/players go into it and then a single cable goes into the TV.

The reason you aren't getting 5.1 is because I believe ARC only supports stereo, but once you put the HDMI from the cablebox into the AVR, you should get 5.1 (when available).
post #4 of 9 Old 02-02-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Make sure your cable box is setup to output Dolby Digital.

Since you didn't specify what cable box you have there is no way for us to know where the setting is located.

It is also possible you just need to press the movie or music button on the Denon remote and toggle thru the options until you get to Dolby Digital. If it isn't available either your cable box isn't set properly or the channel you're watching isn't broadcast in Dolby Digital.

Afro GT
post #5 of 9 Old 02-02-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Welcome to AVS Forum! smile.gif

You've come to the right place for help, although for future reference note there is a dedicated thread just for Denon AVR-XX12 Owner's linked in my sig. Review posts #3-6 in that thread for setup/troubleshooting help.

In most cases you'll want to connect your sources directly to the 2112CI and use it as the HDMI switcher. However, the one exception is possibly a cable/sat box as it can often cause HDMI handshake issues with AVRs of any brand. In your current configuration the TV will only be able to pass back stereo 2.0 audio to the AVR which you could then use DD PLII - Cinema (select by pressing the MOVIE button on the Denon remote) to simulate 5.1 audio, although you currently have the AVR in STEREO mode which is why you're only getting sound from the FL/FR speakers.

The reason to connect the cable box audio (at least) directly to the AVR is that some HD channels have DD 5.1 audio tracks which can be passed to the AVR without having to simulate any of the channels. So first try connecting the cable box HDMI to one of the HDMI inputs on the AVR. If one doesn't work, try them all. If none of them work, then reconnect the HDMI cable back to the TV, but also add an optical cable from the cable box to the AVR to pass the audio to the AVR rather than via the HDMI cable to the TV speakers (although note you could listen to the TV speakers if you didn't want the surround speakers on, eg. News shows, sports, etc).

Thanks. I disconnected HDMI # 2 (connected from cable box to TV) and connected it so that it runs from the cable box now into the AVR on port # 1 (labeled BD). Should I instantly SEE video? I see nothing, black screen. I didnt do this initially cause I dont see how my cable box could pass through the AVR...like will my "guide" menu come up like normal when i access my channels? Regardless right now I dont have any video. Is this normal?

I will try the remaining ports (I have 6 of them), but should I be expecting instant video when I hit the "right" port or is there a setting I need to change? Thanks.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-02-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I missed the part in the first post where you were going directly to the TV from the cable box. No wonder DD didn't work.

Like was said earlier connect cable box to receiver. Why don't you use HDMI input 3 which is labeled SAT/CBL so you have no confusion?
Quote:
I didnt do this initially cause I dont see how my cable box could pass through the AVR...like will my "guide" menu come up like normal when i access my channels?

Of course they will once everything is connected properly. I have 3 Denon receivers with sat boxes connected via HDMI. I can see all the menus, program guides, recordings, on demand, etc.

Afro GT
post #7 of 9 Old 02-02-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

ok I used port # 6 labeled "V Aux" and that seems to work. Is there any reason I should use #3 labeled SAT/CBL as you suggested at this point? Meaning am I losing quality or anything else by being in #6? Is there anything different between ports other than the name labels anyways?

I'll prob have tons more questions but for now, I got it working in time for tomorrow's game.....friends would have killed me if it wasn't ready, huge thank you to you guys.

Now all I gotta figure out is how the hell to program the remote control to work with my TV so I can use that 1 remote for volume, TV channels, Cable "guide" button, etc.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

A few questions:

1) What the heck does "Amp Assigned" mean? Mine is set to Zone 2 right now...I have 2 front speakers, center, and 2 surround but no subwoofer as of this moment. Is this the correct setting? I looked around for what this meant but couldn't find it.

2) Is there anyway to 'test" if I set this up correctly? Honestly the sound isnt that great, like I dont hear that much coming from the surround speakers. I ran Audyssey with a tripod just as instructed.

3) I notice a ton of stations that I thought would be broadcast in Dolby are showing on the receiver as "DTS: Neo 6 Cinema." That means I'm not getting a Dolby broadcast, right? For instance, nearly all the HBO stations are giving me this output right now. Even when I switch to a HD station that does show "Dolby" on the AVR, the sound is not all that great (specifically surround speakers).

Just looking for some guidance with setup and testing and tweaking. especially before the big game...if anyone can help it is GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you

P.S. Is there a way to manually adjust the volume level/control for each individual speaker...like if you wanted more volume from the center speaker, hypothetically speaking
post #9 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

please delete this thread I moved it to the main one, sorry
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb12211 View Post

A few questions:

1) What the heck does "Amp Assigned" mean? Mine is set to Zone 2 right now...I have 2 front speakers, center, and 2 surround but no subwoofer as of this moment. Is this the correct setting? I looked around for what this meant but couldn't find it.

2) Is there anyway to 'test" if I set this up correctly? Honestly the sound isnt that great, like I dont hear that much coming from the surround speakers. I ran Audyssey with a tripod just as instructed.

3) I notice a ton of stations that I thought would be broadcast in Dolby are showing on the receiver as "DTS: Neo 6 Cinema." That means I'm not getting a Dolby broadcast, right? For instance, nearly all the HBO stations are giving me this output right now. Even when I switch to a HD station that does show "Dolby" on the AVR, the sound is not all that great (specifically surround speakers).

Just looking for some guidance with setup and testing and tweaking. especially before the big game...if anyone can help it is GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you

P.S. Is there a way to manually adjust the volume level/control for each individual speaker...like if you wanted more volume from the center speaker, hypothetically speaking
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page