Calling On All Pioneer VSX-51 Receiver Owners...I Need Your Help!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-02-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum but I desperately need your help. I just installed a brand new Pioneer VSX-51 in a newly built home with all new ceiling speakers and RBH speakers for the living room. I also own a Pioneer Plasma 5020FD which is linked to the VSX-51. I have one HDMI going from the output of the Comcast cable box (Motorola) to the HDMI 1 input on the VSX-51 as suggested in the manual. Then I have another HDMI cable going from the HDMI Output on the VSX-51 to HDMI Input 4 on the 5020FD TV. Everything works fine except I cannot get the "pass through" of video and audio to the TV when the receiver is in Standby mode. Does anyone know how to get "pass through" of the video and sound to the TV before my wire forces me to sell my receiver! She is so upset with me and is fit to be tied that she cannot bypass the receiver and use the TV like we had before.

Also, I made sure "Control" was "On", "TV Audio Setting" is set to "via HDMI", "Standby Through" setting is set to "Normal" but I even tried "Eco" and it does not work. I have done everything the manual says but still nothing and I even tried different settings withing these parameters. Has anyone been successful at getting pass through to work with this receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-02-2013, 04:49 PM

Hey

Try this

Press sig select on your remote.

looking at your display on receiver or if the OSD works, make sure you pick HDMI through,
\\this should do it. this does not send sound to the amp.. to be heard.. but should pass it to your
tv. If you run into problems.. turn HDMI control off on your TV.

Good luck

Ffred
post #3 of 8 Old 02-03-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

I hope this works. I will try later on today. I don 't have a good feeling that it will because so many people have wanted to know how and its been an ongoing issue with many on the forums.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-03-2013, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Well I gave this a try. On page 37 there is reference to what you are talking about. I press the Signal Sel button once and it says HDMI but pressing it again and again has no response and the manual says otherwise. Any ideas?
post #5 of 8 Old 02-03-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Okay here is the skinny. I input video from the cable box to the Video HDMI. Doing this I was able to get the Signal Sel to work and cycle. Then I went into the Audio Parameter setting to cycle to HDMI Through and activate it. This shut off all sound from the Amp while its on and only TV sound works. Shut the receiver off and all video and sound is off as well. This is not what I want!!

I want to be able to turn the receiver into standby and still have TV audio and video so the wife can use the sound box on the TV. So I ask again has anyone ever got true pass through to work on this Pioneer VSX-51????
post #6 of 8 Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffred View Post

Hey

Try this

Press sig select on your remote.

looking at your display on receiver or if the OSD works, make sure you pick HDMI through,
\\this should do it. this does not send sound to the amp.. to be heard.. but should pass it to your
tv. If you run into problems.. turn HDMI control off on your TV.

Good luck

Ffred

Well Fred, I tried everything you said and even turned off the HDMI control on my Pioneer TV to "OFF". Nothing works. No matter what I do when I shut off the darned receiver all video and audio is lights out. Someone please help me...the wife says all must go if this receiver cannot give pass through mode.

I am blown away by the fact that as long as this receiver has been available that someone out there can't give a definitive answer about how to perform pass through or more so if it can be even done. Either it does or it doesn't. And if it does, HOW?
post #7 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Well I wrote to Pioneer and we'll see what they say.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberenyi View Post

Well I wrote to Pioneer and we'll see what they say.

Well I got the word from Pioneer themselves today. Yes the VSX-51 will perform pass through on HDMI however....the Motorola DCT3400 cable box from Comcast will not allow that feature to work correctly because it is not compatible with the Pioneer platform. The new (2013) Pioneer units take this issue into account and does not rely on any particular requirements from a source connection with HDMI. He did tell my a way to connect though to by-pass this issue and still get what I want. Very excited about this new way and can hardly wait to try it out.

PS. I love talking to myself.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page