How many watts does my HW-C560S really put out, and what kind of speakers can it drive? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-02-2013, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I really need some help better understanding the capabilities of my AV receiver, and some intelligent advise with respect to the best speaker upgrade for it.

I own a Samsung hw-c560s. The speakers that came with it are a joke, basically computer speakers that look nice. I lost my patience with them before I was even done unwrapping them. I basically paid for the receiver, and I'm ok with that, considering they are still selling this system USED for $300+, and I got it for $240 out the door BRAND NEW.

Anyhow, it is very vaguely rated and reviewed. Spotty and unreliable information everywhere you look. For instance, the receiver is rated at 100w per channel at 6ohm. There are 6 channels in total, yet it is rated at only 500w TOTAL...6 channels...100w per, I'm no math wizard, but that's 600w TOTAL, not 500.

I have my heart set on either the tl150 or tl250 from Polk's Blackstone series.

I would like to know the following

-How many watts does my receiver REALLY put out?
-Can my receiver power the tl250 5.0 speaker system from Polk's Blackstone Series?

note:
A 55" Samsung LED 120hz & a Polk psw-111 powered sub makes up the rest of my system. (comcast HD-DVR, XBOX, and LG blu-ray player as well)

Everything runs though HDMI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwest78 View Post

-How many watts does my receiver REALLY put out?

The short: Nobody really knows because it hasn't been tested by a 3rd party, and manufactuers can make misleading claims..

The long: Power ratings for multichannel amplification can be VERY misleading. Take for example, the 100w x 5 channel claim. Nowhere does it state the power is continuous, or dynamic (my guess is dynamic). It doesn't state if it's all channels driven, or monural (it's monural). Or at what frequency the power is achieved at, or the THD it makes that power at. Lastly, at what Impedance?

It's nearly impossible to quantify the claim. It's intentional, because the actual number is underwhealming, and Samsung knows they'll sell many of the with "500 watts" printed on the box.

To answer your question: 500 Watts is probably the maximum amount of draw it's power supply can pull from the wall, under any circumstance. Realistically into a 8ohm nominal load, you're looking at 35 watts per channel (just educated guessing here).
Quote:

-Can my receiver power the tl250 5.0 speaker system from Polk's Blackstone Series?

Sure. Polk rates these speakers as 10-125 watts RMS. So your receiver should have no problem driving them. I do not see a sensitivity rating for the speakers published... I see one for the 150 series, at 89db.

If your room is large, and you like listening to movies/music very loud, you might be disappointed.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-02-2013, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalJason View Post

Or at what frequency the power is achieved at, or the THD it makes that power at. Lastly, at what Impedance?

I actually can fill in just a few of these blanks...which can perhaps help us get to somewhat of a better educated place...?

RATED OUTPUT 20Hz~20kHz / THD = 0.9

FRONT SPEAKER (LEFT+RIGHT) = 6 OHM
CENTER SPEAKER = 6 OHM
SURROUND SPEAKER (LEFT+RIGHT) = 6 OHM
SUBWOOFER SPEAKER = 6 OHM

INPUT SENSITIVITY/IMPEDANCE = 450mV/47K OHM
S/N RATIO = 80dB
SEPARATION = 60dB

I hope this helps : /
post #4 of 6 Old 02-02-2013, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalJason View Post

If your room is large, and you like listening to movies/music very loud, you might be disappointed.

Room is 20x15 roughly with some openings to other rooms...I would call it small/medium.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-03-2013, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Those probably won't be much better than those speakers that came with the setup.

Why not get a 2.0 or 2.1 setup for now and expand when more funds are available?
post #6 of 6 Old 02-03-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:

I really need some help better understanding the capabilities of my AV receiver, and some intelligent advise with respect to the best speaker upgrade for it.

I own a Samsung hw-c560s. The speakers that came with it are a joke, basically computer speakers that look nice. I lost my patience with them before I was even done unwrapping them. I basically paid for the receiver, and I'm ok with that, considering they are still selling this system USED for $300+, and I got it for $240 out the door BRAND NEW.

Anyhow, it is very vaguely rated and reviewed. Spotty and unreliable information everywhere you look. For instance, the receiver is rated at 100w per channel at 6ohm. There are 6 channels in total, yet it is rated at only 500w TOTAL...6 channels...100w per, I'm no math wizard, but that's 600w TOTAL, not 500.

I have my heart set on either the tl150 or tl250 from Polk's Blackstone series.

I think you've got things scoped out - mediocre electronics, worse speakers.

I suspect that the AVR is the least of your troubles even with the confusing spec situation that I've witnessed for myself in the user's manual: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201007/20100712143549046/HW-C500-C560S-XAA_0616.pdf

As far as those Polk speakers go, I think you're just jumping from one tiny frying pan to another one just like it.

It looks like your AVR is flexible enough to follow a somewhat radical approach given your minimal budget.

I'd get 2 Infinity P163s or even P363s if you can swing the cost, and use them to replace your existing front speakers.

Your AVR can handle either passive or powered subwoofers, so that and then maybe a matching PC351 center channel would be next steps. My nomination for a minimal subwoofer is the Polk PSW 505.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page