How much power do I really need - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-03-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm about to buy a pair of the Salk ST. I currently have a Yamaha rx-773 reciever. I'm thinking I need more power but don't want to spend a to money so I'm looking at the Emotiva amps but not sure how big to go any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-03-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Why do you think you need more power?
post #3 of 15 Old 02-03-2013, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

So you think I'm ok just with the Yamaha? I was told I shouldn't run the Salks with a reciever.
post #4 of 15 Old 02-03-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I just asked a auestion. Relevant factors include speaker sensitivity, speaker impedance, desired SPL and distance from the speakers.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-03-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 262
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #6 of 15 Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I did the calculations but I don't understand the results.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-04-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

nobody can help you without an understanding of what you did and what about the results confuses you.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

What results do you not understand? Did you look at the table relating SPL to known sounds below?

I think THX says to provide 105 dB/spkr peak SPL at the listening position. Personally, while my system will do that, I do not want to be in the room. 100 dB is probably not an unreasonable target for peak SPL. I listen much quieter, probably 70 - 80 dB, as it's loud enough for me and I need my ears.

Another useful couple of factoids is that a 3 dB increase in SPL sounds to most of us like a small bump in volume ("turn it up just a hair") and requires twice the power to the speakers. Boosting by 10 dB sounds twice as loud and require ten times the power. It takes a lot more power to make a sonic (audible) difference.

In any event you should try with your AVR first before deciding you need more power. Some do, but my impression is that most folk buying power amps would be better served spending the money on movies and music.

IMO - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #9 of 15 Old 02-04-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Your Yamaha is only rated for 95 watts/channel with two channels driven. The Salk ST is pretty inefficient, rated at 88db/watt. Salk also recommends minimum 80 wpc for the speakers. Looking at the light weight of the receiver means that the power supply is pretty small. So the Yamaha would not be a good match if you want to drive the speakers more than a moderately loud level, probably maximum 102 dB at peaks or 92dB at normal volumes before the power supply runs out of power in two channel mode. The yamaha will probably deliver only 50 wpc in multi-channel mode so right there you do not even meet the miminum requirements that Salk recommends. The speakers is also rated at 4-ohms which puts the amplifier under greater strain when driven.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #10 of 15 Old 02-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

I think THX says to provide 105 dB/spkr SPL at the listening position. Personally, while my system will do that, I do not want to be in the room. 100 dB is probably not an unreasonable target for peak SPL. I listen much quieter, probably 70 - 80 dB, as it's loud enough for me and I need my ears.
That 105 dB is peak level, which not even occurs in all movies. Most speakers will distort a lot at that SPL and that's what is unpleasant, not the loudness per se.

Building a HT with 7.2.4 layout and ◤SEOS-24◥ LCR.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-04-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium View Post

That 105 dB is peak level, which not even occurs in all movies. Most speakers will distort a lot at that SPL and that's what is unpleasant, not the loudness per se.

I've found the peak levels unpleasantly loud in many movie theaters, not just in my home.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

How loud do you need to go? Is your Yamaha even rated to do 4 ohm loads? I'm sure it will do it, but it might not like it. It has been MY experience that MY set-ups sound better with an external, more powerful amp compared to using just a receiver. I DON"T believe all amps sound the same either, but this isn't the time for that discussion. I have noticed more of a benefit at lower listening levels(80-85db) then using the external amps to blast my neighbors. When you get your Salks, drive them around for a while. If you can't play them loud enough without clipping the amp or sending your Yamaha into protection, then it's probably time for a more powerful amp or receiver. Amps are CHEAP these days. Find yourself a used beast from a view years ago for cheaper then you can get an Emo amp even. YMMV

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!!
post #13 of 15 Old 02-04-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium View Post

Quote:

I think THX says to provide 105 dB/spkr SPL at the listening position. Personally, while my system will do that, I do not want to be in the room. 100 dB is probably not an unreasonable target for peak SPL. I listen much quieter, probably 70 - 80 dB, as it's loud enough for me and I need my ears.

I knew that , added the word "peak" in my post.

I have heard systems that produce 110 dB+ with <1 % distortion (my current system will not) and over about 100 dB it starts to get painfully loud to me, distorted or not. Distortion usually makes it worse, natch.

To the OP: Why not call or email Jim Salk?

post #14 of 15 Old 02-04-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

To the OP: Why not call or email Jim Salk?

+1

Or post in the Salk thread and ask people with STs in an HT what they use.

post #15 of 15 Old 02-05-2013, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

I called and told him what I have and the seating distance and he said I was fine. Will see
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page