Question re: Dual audio from tv speakers and surround sound speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-03-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to run my blu ray player, cable tv, and ps3 through my receiver with HDMI, then out to the TV. Problem is I'd like to have both the tv speakers and surround sound speakers outputting sound at the same time so that I can listen to only the tv audio at night etc.

I know that I could run each device to the TV with HDMI then have an optical audio cable from the TV to the receiver. But I'd rather not because I'd have to change the TV input to use each device.

Is this possible? If I do run each device to the TV with an optical to the receiver is there more potential for lag between audio and video?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-03-2013, 07:03 PM

Liked: 19
Why do you even want your severely underpowered, underengineered, crappy TV speakers to be on when you are using your surround sound? If you want sound from your TV, that's what a center channel speaker is for, get one.

It's also not possible, it's either the TV or the surround sound. But if you really want to listen to TV with the surround off, if you receiver is capable of it, enable HDMI standby through and you can use the TV speakers if you want to.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-03-2013, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I wasn't clear enough. I don't wan to use the TV speakers and surround sound at the same time. I want to be able to switch between the tv audio and surround sound. Example: watch a movie thats on TV with the surround sound only and turn down the tv volume to 0. Then say its 11 pm and I just want to watch TV with the TV speakers. If I have the cable tv HDMI plugged into the TV directly and then an optical from the TV to the receiver it outputs from both the TV speakers and the surround sound. Thus, when I want the surround sound I turn the TV volume down. As it is now, with the cable running through the receiver then HDMI out to the TV, sound only outputs from the surround sound speakers. Is there a way to get the audio from the TV speakers at the same time?
post #4 of 6 Old 02-03-2013, 11:42 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbsmola View Post

Thanks for the response. I wasn't clear enough. I don't wan to use the TV speakers and surround sound at the same time. I want to be able to switch between the tv audio and surround sound. Example: watch a movie thats on TV with the surround sound only and turn down the tv volume to 0. Then say its 11 pm and I just want to watch TV with the TV speakers. If I have the cable tv HDMI plugged into the TV directly and then an optical from the TV to the receiver it outputs from both the TV speakers and the surround sound. Thus, when I want the surround sound I turn the TV volume down. As it is now, with the cable running through the receiver then HDMI out to the TV, sound only outputs from the surround sound speakers. Is there a way to get the audio from the TV speakers at the same time?

HDMI stanby pass through, if your receiver supports it.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-04-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Do not use the TV as a hub because the audio output will be stereo most of the time with devices attached that way. If your TV and AVR support HDMI standby passthrough, you can use that feature. If not, some receivers have settings to enable/disable the HDMI audio output. Or, you can run a separate connection from the cable box to the TV and use it when you don't want surround sound.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-08-2014, 04:55 PM

Please can I have more information I want to do exactly what you want, be able to watch TV with TV speakers and when I watch a film on TV change to surround sound. I also have the Sony BDVE490 surround sound system. When I watch films in here I want it to play in surround sound mode. I have a sky how aswell.

Would this work?
Have a hdmi cable going to TV from blu ray player. Have hdmi going to tv from sky box. Have optical cable going to bluray player from sky box and an rca cable to blu ray player from sky box. Then if I'm watching sky could I turn the TV volume down and surround sound volume up will it play surround sound and if I turn tv volume up and surround sound down will it play out of tv?

Thanks if this works then please let me known. If it doesn't can you tell me an alternative and tell me in simple steps. And maybe a link to a video showing how to do it.

Sorry for the long post smile.gif

Hope you can help
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page