Am I looking for a 4 channel amp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to power some in ceiling speakers that I have. Two in the bathroom and two in the bedroom. I don't want to install a home theater receiver to them I just want an amp that will play all 4 with some music or some other input. There isn't much out there in terms of 4 channel amps....what are my options? Don't want to break the bank on this one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 09:48 PM

Liked: 42
I have a similar set up in my bedroom and ensuite. I have an onkyo theater receiver, a TX SR504. It has a speaker A and B outputs and I use one for each room. Current receivers have Zone 2 output, but it might not be powered output.

What you can do is get an old school 2 channel stereo receiver with speaker A and B outputs, like the Harman Kardon 3390. It looks like it will power them at the same time, but they need to be 8 ohm speakers.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Well it seems these days I can just buy a 5.1 theater receiver for very cheap...199-250, where some 4 channel amps are more than that. If I have four 8 0hm speakers, I can run two per channel as long as the amp is 4 ohm stable correct? I see many amps that are 2 channels and have 4 ohm power output, but very few 4 channel amps these days
post #4 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistersix View Post

Well it seems these days I can just buy a 5.1 theater receiver for very cheap...199-250, where some 4 channel amps are more than that. If I have four 8 0hm speakers, I can run two per channel as long as the amp is 4 ohm stable correct?

Yes.
Quote:
I see many amps that are 2 channels and have 4 ohm power output, but very few 4 channel amps these days

Right. The best way to get 4 channels is to buy 5! ;-)
post #5 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 08:12 AM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistersix View Post

Well it seems these days I can just buy a 5.1 theater receiver for very cheap...199-250, where some 4 channel amps are more than that. If I have four 8 0hm speakers, I can run two per channel as long as the amp is 4 ohm stable correct? I see many amps that are 2 channels and have 4 ohm power output, but very few 4 channel amps these days

Yes you can do that, but then you lose independent control of each room. That may not be an issue for you by the sound of it so you'd be good to go.

If you run 2 speakers on one channel, the effective ohms seen at the receiver would depend on how you wire the speakers. In series, the ohms would add up, and in parallel they would be 4 ohms. Why not just run 1 speaker per channel if possible? On an entry level receiver( any current receiver that only has 5 channels would be the lowest priced models) the amp sections are pretty basic and they might not recommend 4 ohm loads at all. The amp might heat up frequently unless you play at lower volume levels. Just a thought.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Well it seems that I should just purchase a 5.1 receiver and just use 4 channels for the 4 speakers, rather than a 2 Channel amp and run 4 speakers of 2 channels. The 5.1 receivers I have seen online are cheaper than 2 channel amps, so that is prob the way I will go.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
What sources do you want to connect? If analog only, the 2CH amp below should fit the bill.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Honestly the rca audio out of the directv cable box is fine, just use that or some other RCA source to play music....I have 4 speakers in cieling, that are 8 ohms each. This amp is 4 ohm stable according to the description, so hook two speakers to each channel and im good to go?
post #9 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
Yup. smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page