I'd like to plug my headphones to my hdtv but it doesn't have a headphone jack - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-03-2013, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
jerrycomo's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Like most flat screens, they don't have any.

Of course, I plugged the tv audio jack to a receiver and the receiver to my headphones (Grado).

I know electronic shops sell some cable so I can plug from the tv audio jacks
directly to the headphones, bypassing the receiver.


Question 1:

What is the specific name of that cable?


Which of the two choices provide the best audio quality, from the receiver or the store cable)?
Or should I get a headphone amp?

Thx guys, I hope I wrote in the correct audio thread.
jerrycomo is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 Old 02-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member
JBWIII's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 43
What kind of TV audio jack do you mean? Most TVs these days have only a line-out audio jack, which means that it's a constant low-level signal.

You need some kind of amplifier (and volume control) between the TV and your headphones. Right now you're using the receiver. You could also use a dedicated headphone amp, but you need something more than just a special cable.

I don't know that the headphone amp will sound any better than your current receiver. What kind is it?

JBWIII is offline  
post #3 of 3 Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
afrogt's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 25,393
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Why would you want to bypass the receiver?

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
Sponsored Links
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off