Noob needing help deciding on a receiver. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-04-2013, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
JC507JC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've never had a receiver or used speakers. I've always just used the tv, but I'm now ready to change that. I did a lot of reading on speakers and I was really intrigued by the JTR speakers. I saw a really good deal on 2 triple 8s so I jumped on them. I have decided I'm going to get a single 8 for my center and 2 single 8s for my surrounds, using the triple 8s as my left and right.

I just bought an 80" Sharp tv and I'd really like to start getting the sound system set up. I'm gonna wait a little to get the 8s, might get one for the center channel if I absolutely must but if I can wait a bit and save up I'd rather do that.

So I really would like some advice as to what receiver I should get, I know nothing about how much power I need, that's my main problem.

I definitely want a 5.1 and don't see me ever going to 7.1 so that's not necessary. I will be hooking up a blu ray player, Xbox 360, and a directv cable box. I won't be using stereo or apps or any other functions really. Pretty much just want to play my Xbox, watch tv and watch blu rays, I never listen to music.

From what I've read I really like the Denon receivers. I was thinking about getting a 1613 but I'm not sure if I would get adequate power out of it, I really don't know how many watts I need. I don't need/want blaring sound, I just want good, reasonably loud sound. Hope that makes sense. I'd really like to spend around $3-400 not much more but if I really need to then I will.

Could I possibly hook up just the 2 triple 8s for now as my left and right and have no center speaker or would that not really work. If not ill get the single 8 now.

Could someone recommend some receivers for me please. I appreciate any and all help. Thanks.
JC507JC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 02-04-2013, 12:03 AM
Senior Member
 
GaryWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC507JC View Post

I've never had a receiver or used speakers. I've always just used the tv, but I'm now ready to change that. I did a lot of reading on speakers and I was really intrigued by the JTR speakers. I saw a really good deal on 2 triple 8s so I jumped on them. I have decided I'm going to get a single 8 for my center and 2 single 8s for my surrounds, using the triple 8s as my left and right.

I just bought an 80" Sharp tv and I'd really like to start getting the sound system set up. I'm gonna wait a little to get the 8s, might get one for the center channel if I absolutely must but if I can wait a bit and save up I'd rather do that.

So I really would like some advice as to what receiver I should get, I know nothing about how much power I need, that's my main problem.

I definitely want a 5.1 and don't see me ever going to 7.1 so that's not necessary. I will be hooking up a blu ray player, Xbox 360, and a directv cable box. I won't be using stereo or apps or any other functions really. Pretty much just want to play my Xbox, watch tv and watch blu rays, I never listen to music.

From what I've read I really like the Denon receivers. I was thinking about getting a 1613 but I'm not sure if I would get adequate power out of it, I really don't know how many watts I need. I don't need/want blaring sound, I just want good, reasonably loud sound. Hope that makes sense. I'd really like to spend around $3-400 not much more but if I really need to then I will.

Could I possibly hook up just the 2 triple 8s for now as my left and right and have no center speaker or would that not really work. If not ill get the single 8 now.

Could someone recommend some receivers for me please. I appreciate any and all help. Thanks.

Sounds like the 1613 would work well with your setup. Also look at the Pioneer 1122, Yamaha 471, Onkyo 616, or HK 1700.

You should definitely think of adding a sub before center and then center, then surrounds.
GaryWA is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 02-04-2013, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
JC507JC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, didn't see the edit button,

I saw a used 3311CI for sale for $500. I don't need the 7.2 but since its 125 watts per channel compared to the 75 on the 1613 I'm wondering if that'd be a better choice.
JC507JC is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 02-04-2013, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
JC507JC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you. I hadn't even thought about getting a sub before center. Was going to get one before surrounds though. I appreciate the quick reply.
JC507JC is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 02-04-2013, 12:08 AM
Senior Member
 
GaryWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC507JC View Post

Sorry, didn't see the edit button,

I saw a used 3311CI for sale for $500. I don't need the 7.2 but since its 125 watts per channel compared to the 75 on the 1613 I'm wondering if that'd be a better choice.

Power doesn't really matter, but it is a much better receiver. However, it doesn't sound like you need the features of the 3311, so unless you're turning it up super loud, it shouldn't matter.
GaryWA is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 02-04-2013, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
JC507JC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post

Power doesn't really matter, but it is a much better receiver. However, it doesn't sound like you need the features of the 3311, so unless you're turning it up super loud, it shouldn't matter.
Awesome. Thank you very much.
JC507JC is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off