How does one know when it's time to upgrade? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I've had an onkyo 805 for 4-5yrs now and although the receiver shows no signs of any problems and I am happy with the sound, I often think if I am missing something. I don't know much about receivers other than how to set them up. I have def tech studio monitors and dual svs subs. I watch nothing but movies and play video games. I don't need any 3d function or online features. I don't use the Audyssey feature as it seems to screw up the subs and don't like the results. What about adding an amp? I've read comments saying how much an amp improved the audio and brought the system to life. Should I keep the AVR and purchase an amp or would a newer receiver be more beneficial? My budget would be $1500 for the receiver or amp, so as the title says, how does one know when it's time to upgrade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post

I've had an onkyo 805 for 4-5yrs now and although the receiver shows no signs of any problems and I am happy with the sound, I often think if I am missing something. I don't know much about receivers other than how to set them up. I have def tech studio monitors and dual svs subs. I watch nothing but movies and play video games. I don't need any 3d function or online features. I don't use the Audyssey feature as it seems to screw up the subs and don't like the results. What about adding an amp? I've read comments saying how much an amp improved the audio and brought the system to life. Should I keep the AVR and purchase an amp or would a newer receiver be more beneficial? My budget would be $1500 for the receiver or amp, so as the title says, how does one know when it's time to upgrade?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But...

You could probably improve the sound quality of your system more for the money if you spent time on room acoustics and system tuning.

The one big upgrade to AVRs in general over the past few years are the automated system tuning facilities such as Audyssey, MCACC and YPAO. Based on what I read here the best of the bunch is Audyssey Multieq XT32 which is definitely available on some AVRs in the price category that you seem to be interested in.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

well I have spent quite a few on room treatments, but given the budget of $1500, I wonder if there's a receiver to look into that could be an improvement or perhaps adding an amp would improve things
post #4 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:

well I have spent quite a few on room treatments, but given the budget of $1500, I wonder if there's a receiver to look into that could be an improvement or perhaps adding an amp would improve things

Adding an amp could only possibly improve sound quality if you were clipping out your AVR.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well im nowhere near clipping as i have a small room to fill, but in my case, an amp wouldnt make a difference? I figured driving speakers at a continous 200wpc would make things sound better than the avr doing the work as i have to go pretty loud to get bass out of my soeakers, but then again, thats what the subs are for.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ive just heard such claims as movies creating a great impact when an amp was added and bringing sounds that were never heard before to life.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Well im nowhere near clipping as i have a small room to fill, but in my case, an amp wouldnt make a difference? I figured driving speakers at a continous 200wpc would make things sound better than the avr doing the work as i have to go pretty loud to get bass out of my soeakers, but then again, thats what the subs are for.

That idea is evidence of a misunderstanding of what (watt?) 200 wpc actually means. Your amplifier will simply NOT be pumping a continuous 200 watts per channel into your speakers unless you're running some kind of incredibly loud all-channel test tones. Most of the time at normal listening levels you will be at a watt or less to each channel, which will sharply increase during particularly loud passages, explosions, etc.

post #8 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD in NJ View Post

That idea is evidence of a misunderstanding of what (watt?) 200 wpc actually means. Your amplifier will simply NOT be pumping a continuous 200 watts per channel into your speakers unless you're running some kind of incredibly loud all-channel test tones. Most of the time at normal listening levels you will be at a watt or less to each channel, which will sharply increase during particularly loud passages, explosions, etc.

+1. As attractive as the notion is, if you're using 2 watts to be 85 or 90 dB at your listening location (likely) that 2 watts will not sound any different if delivered by a 5 watt amp or a 200 watt amp.

Look at it this way. If a more powerful amp lets you get louder, that kinda has to mean tha tmore power = louder, right? So if you ever turn down, or any of your content is less than 0dBFS at any time (movie dialog will run around -20 dBFS or 1/100 the power of 0 dBFS) then you cannot be using full power of a 200 watt amp all the time. Because sometimes the sound is wquieter (has to be less power, right?) and sometimes it's louder.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page