Help finding HDMI receiver with a/b speaker switch.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-04-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster..

Here is my issue, my mother has an OLD Pioneer receiver with 4 speakers on an impedance block on the "B switch".. This way the living room is always on and she can turn the kitchen speakers on and off by the A/B switch..

I want a new receiver and set it up the same way but use a new receiver as a HDMI switch and clean everything up.. I just want the kitchen to ALWAYS play whatever the living room is playing and have the ability to turn the speakers on and off with a physical switch..

All the receivers I am finding will not pass the HDMI sound to the 2nd room output and the 2nd room will not change with the living room changing.. My mom having to go into the receiver settings each time to change what the 2nd room is playing to match the living room is not an option...

Anyone have any idea's? I was about to use an impendence strip on the front left and right channels and run them to the kitchen as a last resort, but I think that will sound awful if the living room is watching something in 5.1 because the talking comes from the center channel lots of the time...

thanks for the help..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-05-2013, 01:23 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1406 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
Welcome to AVS Forum! smile.gif

Analog audio will pass to Zone 2 so simply connect an analog cable (in addition to HDMI) from the source you want to listen to in the kitchen. When Zone 2 is set to SOURCE, it should play whatever is playing in the main zone. Using the AVR's remote you should be able to turn Zone 2 ON/OFF as you desire. Also with a networking model, you may be able to use a smartphone remote app to control the AVR and Zone 2 via the phone when in the kitchen.

In the Denon series, the 1912 or 1913 would be the lowest models capable of 5.1+Zone 2. You don't mention a budget, however, you may want to consider the following sale I posted in the Great Deals forum.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 3 Old 02-05-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Welcome to AVS Forum! smile.gif

Analog audio will pass to Zone 2 so simply connect an analog cable (in addition to HDMI) from the source you want to listen to in the kitchen. When Zone 2 is set to SOURCE, it should play whatever is playing in the main zone. Using the AVR's remote you should be able to turn Zone 2 ON/OFF as you desire. Also with a networking model, you may be able to use a smartphone remote app to control the AVR and Zone 2 via the phone when in the kitchen.

In the Denon series, the 1912 or 1913 would be the lowest models capable of 5.1+Zone 2. You don't mention a budget, however, you may want to consider the following sale I posted in the Great Deals forum.

Thanks for the info.. The only issues (questions) I have with this option is that:

1. I have to run 3 RCA cables in addition to the 3 HDMI cables for the 3 inputs, sucks for a clean install..
2. You said it will follow the source when the Zone 2 is on Source, but how will it follow if source is DVD, so Zone 2 is DVD's RCA's, or FIOS so use FIOS RCA's.
3. She has an Apple TV (Stupid to me, she only uses it for Netflix's which the DVD player and TV have built in.). But the Apple TV only has a single HDMI Cable, no analog connections at all..
4. Can I set most DVD players and the Verizon box to output both analog audio and digital audio through the HDMI?

I already bought her a H/K AVS 2600 and it seems the Denon has the same analog limitations.. Will I get an benefit from getting the Denon 1912 or 1913 over the H/K 2600?

Last question....

Her bedroom is on the wall behind her living room TV, so I bought a HDMI splitter (IOGEAR Avior GHSP8112). Will I have an issues with this and having the HDMI output to 2 rooms? I already got her the Logitec Harmony 1000 with RF so the remote works from her bedroom..
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page