Hello, questions about first home theater setup , to many to choose from and no experience. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-04-2013, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello I'm new here besides my one comment I poster earlier. biggrin.gif

I've been kind of working my way into somewhat quality sound which started with modding my computers sound card, the difference kind of makes me want more out of all my sound equipment now.

So my predicament is this, I have been looking for an upgrade from my Sony BDV-E370 HTIB (which has a terrible surround feel), and I've noticed you guys bash Bose a-lot but that's really my only experience with decent speakers besides pro audio. So I'm gonna say it, I'm looking for better than Bose quality in sound at the least.

Sony has a deal when you sign up for credit you get $100 off of a purchase and this is why I was looking at either the Sony STR-DH1030 or STR-DH830 which would come to $300 and $200 after the $100 comes off.

I've been reading that Sony is garbage compared to brands like Denon and Yamaha, so is Sony only good when you get to their ES line? If so should I go with a lower model Denon/Yamaha around the same price?
Seen the Pioneer VSX-1022-K is on sale as well at $250 or are these just as bad?
I hear a lot about the Denon 1912 and you can get them refurb for $330 or get the 1612 new?

I was also looking at pairing either with the MartinLogan MLT-2 or if those aren't worth their price at $300 I've seen lots of good reviews on the Energy 5.1 Take Classic speakers at $400, I just didn't want to spend more on the speakers than the receiver it kind of seemed to be contradictive.

I'm only really looking to spend a total of around $300-600 at the most.
5.1 channel or better
1080p hdmi through put
Other features like Pandora are a bonus but I don't really care since I could just plug an mp3 player into the back, most receivers even have ipod docks.

I just want quality sound and don't care if it's pretty or about bells and whistles, as it lets me watch 1080p with great sound I will be pleased.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-04-2013, 11:45 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike86 View Post

I was also looking at pairing either with the MartinLogan MLT-2 or if those aren't worth their price at $300 I've seen lots of good reviews on the Energy 5.1 Take Classic speakers at $400, I just didn't want to spend more on the speakers than the receiver it kind of seemed to be contradictive.

Actually the rule of thumb is that you should spend at least 2-3x on the speakers what you spend on the AVR as that's where you listen to the audio so if you want a better listening experience, get better quality speakers.

You may want to consider the Denon 1613 bundled with the Martin Logan MLT-1 that fits under your max budget.

http://www.electronics-expo.com/Denon-AVR-1613-Channel-Through-Networking/dp/B009E7B06S?field_availability=-1&field_brandtextbin=Denon&field_browse=6254945011&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&id=Denon+AVR-1613+Channel+Through+Networking&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name%2Cspecial_features&searchBinNameList=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name%2Cspecial_features&searchNodeID=6254945011&searchPage=1&searchRank=price&searchSize=12

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Actually the rule of thumb is that you should spend at least 2-3x on the speakers what you spend on the AVR as that's where you listen to the audio so if you want a better listening experience, get better quality speakers.

Guess it makes sense, most solid speakers usually have better crossovers along with better components to reproduce a better sound.

Since you said that, I was thinking this (which is a bit over my price range):

DENON AVR-1613 with MORDAUNT SHORT Carnival Home Theater Speaker Package

Or the option of better receiver and upgrading later:
DENON AVR-1913 with Dayton Audio HTP-3 5.1

And last go cheap for my first real receiver setup and move it to another part of the house when I want to upgrade the speakers then the receiver:
DENON DHT-1513BA Home Theater System w/ Boston Acoustics Speakers
But would this cheap system still give me much better quality than what I have or compare to Bose at all?
post #4 of 4 Old 02-05-2013, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

It's up
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page