No Video On Yamaha RX-V373 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having a problem that I would assumes is caused by my Yamaha RX-V373 receiver. The problem is...

Whenever I turn on my system, I get about 2 seconds of video pop up on my projector screen, then the screen goes black. If there was audio playing, it still plays. Sometimes switching to a different input and switching back fixes this (or if it isn't happening, it can cause the problem), but usually it just goes black again. Usually, after a handful of tries, the picture stays on. Turning the receiver off and back on has mixed results as well. This happens with both my HTPC (HDMI 1) and my Xbox 360 (HDMI 2).

It seems to me that the problem is likely somewhere in the receiver, but I am also using an Acer H5360 (720p) to display the output from the receiver. If any more information is needed, let me know. I would greatly appreciate any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
"Also" using an Acer H5360? Are you using both display devices simultaneously? How?

post #3 of 18 Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

"Also" using an Acer H5360? Are you using both display devices simultaneously? How?

The Yamaha is a receiver, the Acer is a projector. The signal goes from the receiver to the projector.
post #4 of 18 Old 02-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Ah okay. Well what happens when you connect each device to the projector separately, without the receiver in between. Any problems then?

post #5 of 18 Old 02-06-2013, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

Ah okay. Well what happens when you connect each device to the projector separately, without the receiver in between. Any problems then?

I will try this tomorrow after work and post how it goes. However, the problem seems to happen on and off. It could be two or three days of use without seeing the problem. I'll make sure to turn everything on and off a few times to simulate a few days of usage.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

I was unable to duplicate the problem when bypassing the receiver. I would say the problem most likely lies somewhere in the receiver. I have tried changing the receiver settings numerous times in the past to fix the issue, but had no luck. I am at a loss.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Once every couple of weeks, I get a "purple screen" with my 473 and LG TV. I just turn everything off and on again, and it's fixed.

Seems to work best if I turn on the source and TV first, then the receiver. (But the 473 also has HDMI standby pass-through so that might not matter to the 373.)

post #8 of 18 Old 02-07-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

I have tried turning on the input (HTPC or Xbox) before the receiver and after the receiver is powered on. It doesn't seem to make a difference. Normally this isn't a big issue, as switching inputs a few times can clear it up, but there is the rare case (about two or three times a month) where I have to struggle with it for about 5-15 minutes before getting a picture.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-30-2013, 01:54 PM

Liked: 11
I know this is an old thread, but have you had any updates or made any progress with your 373? I ask because I'm having a similar problem with mine. In my case, my display will sometimes go solid red when I power on my 373 and BD player. Like you, usually rebooting components will fix it, but sometimes I have to start unplugging HDMI cables and plugging them back in until I can get a display.

Before I had my 373 I just had my BD player connected directly to my TV, and I never had that problem, so I'm almost certain that the receiver is the issue.

I've found a lot of complaints online about HDMI handshake problems with Yamaha receivers, so obviously we aren't alone. This is the first Yamaha receiver I've owned, and will no doubt be the last. I'm just glad I got it as an "open box" buy and didn't pay full price.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-01-2013, 10:06 AM

Hi everyone,

Got exactly the same viodeo sync issue. Mostly with my PS3 after stoping a bluray. Really annoying! Does anyone have an idea to fix this?
post #11 of 18 Old 09-08-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Still occasionally happening to me...
post #12 of 18 Old 12-16-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta13613 View Post

Still occasionally happening to me...

I'm also having this issue. What do you do when it happen? I do a factory reset everytime and it fix the problem.

I'll send an email to Yamaha and see what will happen. I think it still under warranty and I'll say its defective.

post #13 of 18 Old 12-16-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper963 View Post

I'm also having this issue. What do you do when it happen? I do a factory reset everytime and it fix the problem.

I'll send an email to Yamaha and see what will happen. I think it still under warranty and I'll say its defective.

I switch from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2, then repeat until thevideo coming from HDMI 1 stays on. I would say I have this issue maybe sixty percent of the times I turn my receiver on.
post #14 of 18 Old 12-16-2013, 09:22 PM

Oh god! This bad. It happen to me 2 times in 8 months.
post #15 of 18 Old 12-16-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta13613 View Post

I switch from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2, then repeat until thevideo coming from HDMI 1 stays on. I would say I have this issue maybe sixty percent of the times I turn my receiver on.

If you still have your invoice, the receiver is under warranty for 2 years. It might be possible to send it for repair. Or, they might send you a new one.
post #16 of 18 Old 01-22-2014, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I know it's been over a month since the last reply but wanted to post in here. I couldn't find my RX V373 remote and was tired of getting up for every little volume or setting change so I was programming the remote control app on my phone to take advantage of it's IR. It asked if myr eceiver was off and I said yes, thinking I was watching Netflix through my computer (I was tired, PC is hooked up to the TV, not my receiver) when in fact it was my PS3. So it turned my receiver off. I turned it back on, it shut off right away. I manually turned it on and it was fine - Except no video on my PS3. I tried swapping HDMI cables, tried different ports, still no video or audio on my PS3. Other devices worked fine when connected to the HDMI1 port. Plugged the PS3 directly into the TV, worked fine. So up until today I thought it was either the PS3 or something with the receiver.

I put a dvd into my PC (I ended up hooking it up to my receiver) and the screen went black. Had sound, no image. Tried it on my 360, screen immediately went black. Tried a different DVD, same thing. So it seems any media is causing the issue. I really wish there was a firmware update I could download but it seems they didn't release any for the 373. I bought it under 2 years ago, open box from Best Buy. I'll see if I still have the receipt.

post #17 of 18 Old 01-22-2014, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

I would do a factory reset to see if that fixes the receiver. Then buy a Harmony remote.

post #18 of 18 Old 03-17-2014, 06:40 PM

I had this same exact issue: I would see the correct picture for about second on power up, then the picture would go away. For the Blu-Ray HDMI1 input selected on the receiver, I would see a solid purple screen and a black screen for the rest of the inputs. Sometimes switching inputs fixed the issue, sometimes power cycling the receiver would fix it, but it was getting very annoying.

I tried a Factory Reset and it did not change anything - still no picture. (reset instructions, btw)

I turned off the power strip feeding the receiver and all its HDMI inputs. This fixed the issue and picture was working. However, after a power cycling the receiver with the power button, the picture wasn't working again.

Since pulling all power seemed to fix the issue once, I tried unplugging power to each HDMI source and the receiver in various combinations, but nothing worked: the Blu-Ray picture was still purple, and black for the rest.

At this point, power cycling the Blu-Ray player and the receiver would yield a purple screen maybe 9 times in 10.

I believe I solved my issue by turning off HDMI Control (HDMI-CEC) on my Blu-Ray player, a Sony BDP-S5100. I had the Blu-Ray player plugged into HDMI1 on my Yamaha RX-V375 (I think the 375 is almost identical to the 373). I think the source of the issue was that my TV (Samsung PN51F5300) does not not support HDMI-CEC. The Yamaha receiver already had HDMI Control disabled, and all the other HDMI devices appeared to have HDMI-CEC disabled or not supported.

I haven't had a chance to fully vet this possible solution, but I thought I'd share to see if something along these lines works for you.

(PS: First post!)

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V373 5 1 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V373 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page