Av receiver with HDMI in and optical out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-05-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I am trying set up my games room and need some help deciding on the best way to do it. I currently have a computer, xbox360 and PS3 connected to my 27" monitor through a 3 port HDMI switch which is great for video but not for audio. There is a 3.5mm audio jack on my monitor which I connect to my 2.1 speakers for sound which is good for now but... I have just purchased 5.1 wireless headphones that have optical in so I am thinking of getting an av receiver to control all my devices so I can get video through my monitor and sound through my headphones. My headphones also have optical pass through so I can still use my speakers and will only need 1 optical output. Any ideas on how I could achieve this would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-05-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
No such AV receiver exists. You can get an HDMI switch with an optical out instead. Note that the audio format has to be in a SPDIF compatible format, they don't do format conversions. This isn't a problem with your Xbox 360 since it only supports SPDIF compatible audio formats, but you'll have to configure your PlayStation 3 not to use multichannel PCM, DTS-HD and other high bandwith formats. Your computer may be limited to just stereo.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-07-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Ok cool now from reading a few thing it seams that if your output HDMI device is not 5.1 a switch with toslink out wont be able to transmit 5.1 signal. Just wondering if this is the case? Also after searching for a HDMI switch as described I have found this one Pro 2 HDMI4AVR http://www.avaustralia.com.au/products/Pro-2-HDMI4AVR-4-Way-HDMI-Switch-With-ARC-%252b3D.html

If anyone has used one of these any input would be good.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-17-2013, 06:33 PM

post #5 of 7 Old 04-17-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Well, I suppose there's some chance I'm wrong and there exists an AV receiver i've never heard of capable of converting HDMI audio in to optical audio out. However such a receiver would need to have at least one HDMI input, something that neither of the two models you linked to are equipped with.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-18-2013, 12:58 AM

Liked: 14
It used to be common in Denon receivers. You can grab a used Denon 3808 on ebay for about $300 or so.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-18-2013, 02:05 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
^^
The 3808CI cannot convert HDMI audio to optical, rather you're likely thinking of the fact that the 3808CI (and some older models) can convert optical/digital coax PCM 2.0 to analog for Zone 2 output. The only way to get optical output on the 3808CI is to have optical/digital coax input as well.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page